Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero contract question

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Yes! Round as a pancake ;)
For slimmer contracts check their Bronco or 38-1711

I am about as slim as you can be...150 lbs.
But the thought of a slim A-2 now scares me, as I've had troubling experiences with tight armholes/shoulders.
I need at least 18-18.5" shoulders and 22-22.5" pit to pit for it to work for me.
Thanks Jan.

Foster

One of the Regulars
Tight armholes were typical in 1940's military garments, compared to modern fitting which is more loose and less restrictive. The A-2 design isn't very well suited to a range of movement. Recently I've considered an AN-J-3 jacket for when I want comfort.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Tight armholes were typical in 1940's military garments, compared to modern fitting which is more loose and less restrictive. The A-2 design isn't very well suited to a range of movement. Recently I've considered an AN-J-3 jacket for when I want comfort.

I agree that the AN-J-3 is better designed for comfort than the A-2. Unfortunately the US armed forces drifted away from the AN-J-3 for less expensive alternatives. When I visited G&B a couple of years ago, I thought their AN-J-3 was their best jacket there.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys for your input. I'm well aware of the comfort benefits of the anj-3, m422, etc as opposed to the A-2. I have just concluded that I "like" the look of the A-2 more.
I guess my concern isn't really comfort, it is just to avoid discomfort, if that makes sense. That, and fearing that I'll split the shoulder seams.

Foster

One of the Regulars
I have to agree with you on that, the A-2 is an icon of style!
I tend to think the Bronco pattern is comfortable in the shoulders, but more trim under the arms and in the abdomen / waist compared to the 1942 Aero jackets. Your fit and mileage may vary!

Lungomare

A-List Customer
I am about as slim as you can be...150 lbs.
But the thought of a slim A-2 now scares me, as I've had troubling experiences with tight armholes/shoulders.
I need at least 18-18.5" shoulders and 22-22.5" pit to pit for it to work for me.
Thanks Jan.

Don't worry. Aero Leather contract Aero 38-1711-P Type A-2 will work well with slim figured men.

My body dimensions:

Shoulders, around at armpit level 110,5 cm / 43.5”
Chest, around at armpit level (with half-breath) 96 cm / 37.8”
Abdomen, above navel 83 cm / 32.7”
Abdomen, pant waist line 85 cm / 33.5”
Arm length, from snug t-shirt seam to wrist 63,5 cm / 25”
Weight (U.S. pounds) 74 kg / 163 pounds
Height (U.S. inches) 184 cm / 72.5”

The jacket's dimensions:

Aero 38-1711-P, size 40 (chest / pit2pit: ca. 22.7", shoulder: 18” / straight across the back) with customisation of

arms: 27”

body length: 26.5”

Have a look here:

With kind regards,

Johannes

Edward

Bartender
Also, bear in mind it's all relative, to an extent. While the 42 pattern is certainly more generously cut, it's not the very 'blousy' cut you see on modern fashion jackets.

Bearing in mind, I'm a relatively chubby fella.... these shots might help. The A2 is Aero's goatskin model. It carries a 42 contract number, though I don't recall if it's true to a particular contact or no (I know Aero's house jackets carry a 42 contract number which is, afaik, fictional. I thin it might be this model http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=102, which used to appear on their site in exactly the configuration mine has - the 77th badge, red silk lining an aw....). It's a boxier fit than many A2s, but not by any means a sack.

Open:

CopyofIMAG0058.jpg

For comparison, Highwayman open:

IMG_20120321_110241.jpg

30s Halfbelt open:
Copy4ofIMAG0037.jpg

A2 closed:
CopyofIMAG0061.jpg

CopyofIMAG0060.jpg

Highwayman Closed:
Highywayman.jpg

30s Halfbelt closed:
Copy4ofIMAG0036.jpg

Excuse quality of phoneshots - details not so clear, but the fit is. For reference, all three jackets are a size 42" Chest. And yeah, they'll look better when I lose a stone or two.... but so will I. ;)

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Jeez, thanks you guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Johannes, it's reassuring to see those measurements. What is the pit-to-pit on that A-2? Want to sell it? lol.
Edward, that goatskin A-2 is the exact reason what my OP was referring to. After owning this BK M-422, I know that goatskin is my "hide of choice" for the next jacket.
I had asked this because not only is Aero's "house" A-2 a bit cheaper, there is no option for a 42 contract in goatskin on the Aero webpage.

The M-422 I have now fits wonderfully...(funny story: my dad said it looked "small", then I proceeded to show him pics of wartime M-422s online using google images, but to no avail. Reinforcing the theory that "airmen's jacket fittings were all over the place", I actually had a hard time finding a slim fitting 22 or G-1 online. Most of them looked bigger, (especially that Flying Tigers shot). Of course I have books that show the opposite but I find it funny that I couldn't find an example to show him).

And of course I'm trying to sell it, but perhaps I should revisit the idea. The jacket fits fine, is beautiful in my opinion...and ALREADY has sentimental value. I just don't know if it compliments my figure very well. Someone mentioned the Naval jackets having kind of a "v-shape" to them, and this is displeasing a bit to my eye compared to the flat-back of the A-2.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, if you're not looking for a recreation of a very specific contract, a House jacket is a great way of getting a great A2 type jacket that will have the general vibe of the period right at a lower price. Aero's goatskin takes some beating. They do say it's a bit thicker and harder wearing than the originals had, but that's just fine with me. ;)

Could be worth hanging on to that BK (unless you need to sell it to fund the A2). Could always badge it up as an AVG jacket if you fancy that to have to wear at other times.... I know I like the idea of having a plain A2 for wearing when the badged up one might be a bit much.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Yes, if you're not looking for a recreation of a very specific contract, a House jacket is a great way of getting a great A2 type jacket that will have the general vibe of the period right at a lower price. Aero's goatskin takes some beating. They do say it's a bit thicker and harder wearing than the originals had, but that's just fine with me. ;)

Could be worth hanging on to that BK (unless you need to sell it to fund the A2). Could always badge it up as an AVG jacket if you fancy that to have to wear at other times.... I know I like the idea of having a plain A2 for wearing when the badged up one might be a bit much.

I'm with you on the goatskin. If it's a little heavier than what was being used at the time, all the better.
Unfortunately, I am in a position where I'd have to sell the jacket to fund the A-2. Not the easiest position to be in but it's alright. I might just hang onto it for a while and see if I can dig it more.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If you're wanting to be authentic, Bronco did make some A-2 jackets in goatskin, and Aero can do this as well.

My first Aero jacket was a russet goatskin A-2 that Mark Moye sized too big for me. Had it been one size smaller and an inch or so shorter in the body length and sleeves, I would still own it.

My first Aero jacket was a russet goatskin A-2 that Mark Moye sized too big for me. Had it been one size smaller and an inch or so shorter in the body length and sleeves, I would still own it.
I have two Aero Bronco's - one goat, one cape. In a desperate moment a couple weeks back I put the russet goat in the classifieds. I had a bunch of 911 moments with the family...thought I needed the cash. But of all the jackets I owned and the few I've kept, the two Aero's are still here. Well, three if you count the HBD too.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
OK guys,

After review I think I will take your advice about going with a slimmer model. I just remeasured and I have a 39 chest. When I exhale the measurement gets closer to 40.
Both the Bronco and Aero 38 look great. I particularly like the look of the 38. God gave me a slim build (ok, I'll be a poster-child of the 1920s Depression kid), so I might as well choose the contract that best suits my frame.

Now, if I went with the 38-1711, would you guys recommend going up to a size 42?
I say this because Lungomare (Johannes)'s chest measurement is about an inch less than mine and he got the 40.

Regards,
Nick

Edward

Bartender
I'm with you on the goatskin. If it's a little heavier than what was being used at the time, all the better.
Unfortunately, I am in a position where I'd have to sell the jacket to fund the A-2. Not the easiest position to be in but it's alright. I might just hang onto it for a while and see if I can dig it more.

Sometimes needs must, yeah. Another thing to think about is that with Ken back on board Aero are looking at redoing their A2 patterns. Might be worth keeping an eye to see if they do any of the Quartermaster A2s in goat as a knockdown price?

OK guys,After review I think I will take your advice about going with a slimmer model. I just remeasured and I have a 39 chest. When I exhale the measurement gets closer to 40.Both the Bronco and Aero 38 look great. I particularly like the look of the 38. God gave me a slim build (ok, I'll be a poster-child of the 1920s Depression kid), so I might as well choose the contract that best suits my frame.Now, if I went with the 38-1711, would you guys recommend going up to a size 42? I say this because Lungomare (Johannes)'s chest measurement is about an inch less than mine and he got the 40.Regards,Nick
Do the 38 if you want a slim cut. The Werber and Aero '38's are great. Bronco can be trim, but I don't think as much so. @Fanch. ;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
OK guys,

After review I think I will take your advice about going with a slimmer model. I just remeasured and I have a 39 chest. When I exhale the measurement gets closer to 40.
Both the Bronco and Aero 38 look great. I particularly like the look of the 38. God gave me a slim build (ok, I'll be a poster-child of the 1920s Depression kid), so I might as well choose the contract that best suits my frame.

Now, if I went with the 38-1711, would you guys recommend going up to a size 42?
I say this because Lungomare (Johannes)'s chest measurement is about an inch less than mine and he got the 40.

Regards,
Nick

I would run everything through Holly. If you listen to any advice from me, your A-2 will look like a horse blanket on you, and if you listen to Butte, you might be able to breathe inside it. lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21