Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero contract question

Foster

One of the Regulars
Here is the same jacket, five years after the first picture, and it still fits even though I am 1-2" larger in the chest and waist now.
a2bronco_zps12191631.jpg

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
It is quite nice and comfortable. I have heard the Bronco collar to be one of the best in A-2's. My Bronco was quite snug at first, but in time it relaxed nicely. With you getting a goat hide one, I would think it to be comfortable from the moment you receive it.

It is quite nice and comfortable. I have heard the Bronco collar to be one of the best in A-2's. My Bronco was quite snug at first, but in time it relaxed nicely. With you getting a goat hide one, I would think it to be comfortable from the moment you receive it.

One thing to note - 'cause people ask a lot. My pockets look small on both of those jackets. The russet is a 48L and the seal is a 52. The pockets don't vary in size much so the larger jackets make the pockets look small.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Do you guys know the exact process for the pay-later checkout?
I did a test run, but chickened out at the credit card info screen. I don't want to get charged and have my balance to into the negative!
Do they just need your card info first?

Do you guys know the exact process for the pay-later checkout?I did a test run, but chickened out at the credit card info screen. I don't want to get charged and have my balance to into the negative!Do they just need your card info first?
AFAICR, yes. You pay when it's done...but of course they may want something in advance to avoid being stuck with jackets.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I figured. The final hurdle is the size 40 vs 42. I asked Holly for the measurements.
This is an instance where the waiting game won't be too hard on me ...plenty of time to get my other jackets sold.

Foster

One of the Regulars
One thing to note - 'cause people ask a lot. My pockets look small on both of those jackets. The russet is a 48L and the seal is a 52. The pockets don't vary in size much so the larger jackets make the pockets look small.

I would have never guessed, I figured it was 44L or 46L! Both look great, the one you say is too big appears to fit like the jackets in a fair number of the WWII aviator images I have seen.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I will post the 40/42 Bronco measurements when they arrive, for your reference.
Also, I really like Aero's trade-in policy. If it doesn't fit, I'll take a hit (not like that's unheard of for me) and get a new one made.

Foster

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I figured. The final hurdle is the size 40 vs 42. I asked Holly for the measurements.
This is an instance where the waiting game won't be too hard on me ...plenty of time to get my other jackets sold.

That's the toughest call. When I ordered I was on the fence between a 42L and a 44L. I am now glad I went with the 44, as I grew a little. But how it is different in goat as opposed to horse is a good question. I'd also ask Aero's opinion on the size you should order in the goat hide.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My guess is that it's a toss-up.
But, I'm 23 years old, and even though I plan on always staying dangerously thin (fast metabolism), I'm sure I'll gain some weight in the next 10-15 years.
My Bill Kelso goat M-422 is a 42...fits perfectly in the shoulders (about 18 inch) and pits (22-22.5 inch). But, even if it was .5 inches bigger in both areas, it would be no concern.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
My guess is that it's a toss-up.
My Bill Kelso goat M-422 is a 42...fits perfectly in the shoulders (about 18 inch) and pits (22-22.5 inch). But, even if it was .5 inches bigger in both areas, it would be no concern.
How's the length for of your M-422 for you? Does Bill offer some flexibility in length?
Also the lining in the M422 is rayon. Do you know if it's available in cotton?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The length of the Kelso is great on me. I'm 6'2" with a long torso. The sleeves could use another .5 inch, but I suspect that 95% of the people here don't have as long of arms as I do.
Surprisingly, the rayon ended up being very comfortable. I'm a big cotton fan as well. I thought the rayon would feel closer to the synthetic lining that Gibson Barnes and other makers use on some of their jackets, but it ended up feeling fine. But cotton is still my favorite lining.
I'm sure you could ask Andy or email: billkelsomfg.com to find out. My guess is that he could tweak the design a bit. Yes, they will add/subtract length if you want. But then this becomes a custom jacket where it is not returnable. They are very accomodating though.

I'm not the best in the world at measuring, but the back length of my 22 is 26.5 inches. It's about 25 in the front. I wear low-hanging jeans and still plenty of length to cover the beltline.

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
When I was 23, I was at the most a 39" chest and wore 32" waist trousers that had to be tailored as they were too loose (but in a 30 waist I could not find them long enough). My metabolism was also lightning fast, I would out-eat everyone else at the table and still look like a bean pole. My metabolism is still somewhat fast, but some things have caught up in size even though I made effort to exercise it only added muscle mass to my frame. If you're buying a jacket for the next 5 years, then I'd suggest (based on my own experience) the slimmer size. If you want the jacket to last you 10 years (which it should easily manage) then you might want to try the 42 so it can keep up with you long-term. These are just my observations and your experience may vary entirely. But, looking in my rear-view mirror, I can revisit the past 15 years and see where my jacket sizes went up one size every 5 years even with being mindful of my diet and fitness routine.
I am 6'3" and also with a long torso, but my shoulders have never been as broad as the average in my chest size, so that helps me with sleeve length. In my Aero Bronco the sleeves are 27" long, and are actually just a little longer than they really need to be. Same for the back length, at 27.5" I find that the pockets of my jeans are difficult to use when wearing the jacket zipped up.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
When I was 23, I was at the most a 39" chest and wore 32" waist trousers that had to be tailored as they were too loose (but in a 30 waist I could not find them long enough). My metabolism was also lightning fast, I would out-eat everyone else at the table and still look like a bean pole. My metabolism is still somewhat fast, but some things have caught up in size even though I made effort to exercise it only added muscle mass to my frame. If you're buying a jacket for the next 5 years, then I'd suggest (based on my own experience) the slimmer size. If you want the jacket to last you 10 years (which it should easily manage) then you might want to try the 42 so it can keep up with you long-term. These are just my observations and your experience may vary entirely. But, looking in my rear-view mirror, I can revisit the past 15 years and see where my jacket sizes went up one size every 5 years even with being mindful of my diet and fitness routine.

Thanks Foster. I am awaiting Aero's reply for the measurements, but I already sense that the 42 is what I'll be going with.
I want this jacket to last 50+ years. lol. If possible.

Foster

One of the Regulars
Well, the goatskin hide should definitely last 50+ years, with numerous zipper, cuff, and lining replacements in that duration! I'm tempted by a goat jacket for the same reason - they last and hold up wonderfully.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Well, the goatskin hide should definitely last 50+ years, with numerous zipper, cuff, and lining replacements in that duration! I'm tempted by a goat jacket for the same reason - they last and hold up wonderfully.

I don't want to start a goat vs. horse debate, but I think goat is the best hide. It may not develop quite the patina as the horse, but I'm definitely a fan. Those red undertones in the seal jackets are enough for me.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
The length of the Kelso is great on me. I'm 6'2" with a long torso. The sleeves could use another .5 inch, but I suspect that 95% of the people here don't have as long of arms as I do.
Surprisingly, the rayon ended up being very comfortable. I'm a big cotton fan as well. I thought the rayon would feel closer to the synthetic lining that Gibson Barnes and other makers use on some of their jackets, but it ended up feeling fine. But cotton is still my favorite lining.
I'm sure you could ask Andy or email: billkelsomfg.com to find out. My guess is that he could tweak the design a bit. Yes, they will add/subtract length if you want. But then this becomes a custom jacket where it is not returnable. They are very accomodating though.

I'm not the best in the world at measuring, but the back length of my 22 is 26.5 inches. It's about 25 in the front. I wear low-hanging jeans and still plenty of length to cover the beltline.

Thanks, Nick. Sounds great.
So you got a standard 42 then?
Do you happen to have fit pic?
Bill Kelso is in Greece, isn't he? Or did I mix it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot