Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero contract question

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks kyboots- the perks of being tall...lol.
The first few jackets I bought were 27-27.5 in length. They felt fine, but in the mirror they looked unnaturally long. I certainly agree about the sleeves, but I think the shorter a-2 is the way to go. They just look better/more authentic shorter.
When I first joined the FL, I wondered why/how people could wear short a-2s...now it's the opposite. My opinion only.

Foster

One of the Regulars
Extra length is good, however I think your M422 is fine with regard to fit. But, I am looking at it from a WWII issue fit perspective.

Foster

One of the Regulars
Here is the same jacket, five years after the first picture, and it still fits even though I am 1-2" larger in the chest and waist now.
a2bronco_zps12191631.jpg
For comparison, the above jacket has 27" sleeves and 27.5" back, Bronco pattern size 44 with added length.
This next one is 26" sleeves and 26.5" back, Aero pattern by Eastman (their .50 Cal product), size 44 standard:
sfelcaero2_zps52db61d4.jpg

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Nick.
Jacket looks great.
I agree with you. Somehow I'm getting used to the shorter look. And for spring/summer jackets it's workable. For A/W it would be too cold for me.

It's for sale!

* didn't realize that smiley face was a lightbulb...from far away it looked like a guy with a Fu Manchu moustache.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to mention this:
My m-422's length does slope a bit. It is about 1.5 inches SHORTER in the front. The 26.5 or so length I quoted was the back length. Not sure if this helps anyone.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
For comparison, the above jacket has 27" sleeves and 27.5" back, Bronco pattern size 44 with added length.
This next one is 26" sleeves and 26.5" back, Aero pattern by Eastman (their .50 Cal product), size 44 standard:
sfelcaero2_zps52db61d4.jpg

My god...now I am reconsidering the goatskin entirely in favor of that jerky russet hide. From your pic, it looks like that is the "browner" variation. When ordering I would specify for a "browner" jerky hide.
I'll flip a coin I guess?

Foster

One of the Regulars
I would say to with what you prefer. In my opinion many if not most of the A-2 jackets in WWII were more of the russet brown, as opposed to the seal color, but this is just my opinion.
In the jacket I wear with the patch, that is actually seal brown steer hide from Eastman, not made by Aero, but base of the original wartime Aero garment.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I would say to with what you prefer. In my opinion many if not most of the A-2 jackets in WWII were more of the russet brown, as opposed to the seal color, but this is just my opinion.
In the jacket I wear with the patch, that is actually seal brown steer hide from Eastman, not made by Aero, but base of the original wartime Aero garment.

The choices are all great.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi guys. Very interested in this post as I am also in the process of ordering a new A-2. :eusa_clap

Aero's Bronco is leading the pack, followed by their 3785, (but I am unsure of the collar stand and the pointy pockets).
The Bronco's wider shoulders and narrower torso seem a good combination, besides the fact that it has such a classic WW2 look.
I actually had a Bronco back in 2005. SRHH, std 40. It looked really good to me, a very classic WW2 look. It was tightish as I recall, small armholes, but certainly wearable and I am sure given time to break in, it would have been great. Could had a half an inch extra on body and sleeves...
I returned it due to a pocket flap falling off :) and then decided to get an ELC RW 1401 instead, (after reading Jimmy Stewart's book and thinking his 1401 looked too cool). I regret losing the Bronco. ELC's RWs just don't seem to fit me very well ? Always weird shoulders and shapes ?

My 15142 in Seal Jerky was really nice, but I didn't like the reddy undertones and the roomy torso bothered me a bit (tho it doesnt show in the pics). I sold it to get a SRHH version, but then decided to rather go for a trimmer contract. And here we are.
If have always wished I could get a SRHH colour with the grain and texture of the Jerky... Would be perfect to me.

For ref, I am 6ft (or near as darnit), 39.5 chest, athletic, broadish shoulders with a trim waist (I also have the issue of wearing size 32s tat have been adjusted to 31 ;-)... Usually wear a 40L.

Measurements I gathered from Aero, and two other sources, vary slightly, as follows:

Size 40 Bronco measurements *approx*
Armpit to armpit – 21.5”
Back length – 25.5” (Also 25”)
Sleeve length – 25”
Shoulders – 18.5” (Also 18”)
Zip – 21.5” (Also 21.25”)
Cuff – 2.2” (Also 2.5”)

Bronco 42
Armpit to armpit – 23”
Sleeve length inc knit – 25.5”
Back length inc knit – 26”
Shoulders – 19”

ps Thanks for Brocno pics guys. Helps a ton in the decision-making process.
PPS What do you guys think of BK's Monarch offering? And the new Victory Horse announcement?

Brettafett

One Too Many
Sometimes needs must, yeah. Another thing to think about is that with Ken back on board Aero are looking at redoing their A2 patterns. Might be worth keeping an eye to see if they do any of the Quartermaster A2s in goat as a knockdown price?
Anyone heard any updates on what tinkering is going on with A-2 patterns?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Hi guys. Very interested in this post as I am also in the process of ordering a new A-2. :eusa_clap

Aero's Bronco is leading the pack, followed by their 3785, (but I am unsure of the collar stand and the pointy pockets).
The Bronco's wider shoulders and narrower torso seem a good combination, besides the fact that it has such a classic WW2 look.
I actually had a Bronco back in 2005. SRHH, std 40. It looked really good to me, a very classic WW2 look. It was tightish as I recall, small armholes, but certainly wearable and I am sure given time to break in, it would have been great. Could had a half an inch extra on body and sleeves...
I returned it due to a pocket flap falling off :) and then decided to get an ELC RW 1401 instead, (after reading Jimmy Stewart's book and thinking his 1401 looked too cool). I regret losing the Bronco. ELC's RWs just don't seem to fit me very well ? Always weird shoulders and shapes ?

My 15142 in Seal Jerky was really nice, but I didn't like the reddy undertones and the roomy torso bothered me a bit (tho it doesnt show in the pics). I sold it to get a SRHH version, but then decided to rather go for a trimmer contract. And here we are.
If have always wished I could get a SRHH colour with the grain and texture of the Jerky... Would be perfect to me.

For ref, I am 6ft (or near as darnit), 39.5 chest, athletic, broadish shoulders with a trim waist (I also have the issue of wearing size 32s tat have been adjusted to 31 ;-)... Usually wear a 40L.

Measurements I gathered from Aero, and two other sources, vary slightly, as follows:

Size 40 Bronco measurements *approx*
Armpit to armpit – 21.5”
Back length – 25.5” (Also 25”)
Sleeve length – 25”
Shoulders – 18.5” (Also 18”)
Zip – 21.5” (Also 21.25”)
Cuff – 2.2” (Also 2.5”)

Bronco 42
Armpit to armpit – 23”
Sleeve length inc knit – 25.5”
Back length inc knit – 26”
Shoulders – 19”

ps Thanks for Brocno pics guys. Helps a ton in the decision-making process.
PPS What do you guys think of BK's Monarch offering? And the new Victory Horse announcement?

I actually always liked the fit of your A-2s...I think I even mentioned you in this thread.
Anyhow,
Holly told me the pit measured 23.75" for a size 42 Bronco. I'm hoping it fits more like your measurements.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The only thing I forgot to take into consideration was the thread color. I think the standard on the Broncos is the Olive thread. Would you guys recommend another color?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot