Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra brim cut and binding.

indycop said:
Tony I went and got one of those stitch awl things and forget that! It's goin back! I will tack it down by hand and them machine it for the rest.

I bet you'll find some good use for that stitch awl, though. I could see how it might be useful for sewing in sweatbands. And it's just the ticket for field repairs on camping gear and whatnot.

jec

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
I bet you'll find some good use for that stitch awl, though. I could see how it might be useful for sewing in sweatbands. And it's just the ticket for field repairs on camping gear and whatnot.

Yes, the stitch awl is perfect for backpack repairs and the like; not sure whether it can do delicate work like sewing in a sweat. Because you can't pass the needle through the material and turn it around, you have to have a line of 'thread' running on the back side of whatever you are stitching. It's hard to explain without images - but it's more complicated than sewing ... come to think of it, I think the motion is comparable to what a sewing machine does, but at a much larger scale and by hand...

It's certainly a great tool to have, but I question how useful it would be for working on hats.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jec said:
It's certainly a great tool to have, but I question how useful it would be for working on hats.

It's perfectly suited for sewing in sweatbands, and I've even done bound edges with it. It's fine for delicate work as long as you use sewing machine needles in it, and the proper thread. I find it's far easier to get even stitching with it than with needle and thread alone.

Brad

jec

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
It's perfectly suited for sewing in sweatbands, and I've even done bound edges with it. It's fine for delicate work as long as you use sewing machine needles in it, and the proper thread. I find it's far easier to get even stitching with it than with needle and thread alone.

Brad

I stand corrected. I will have to try mine with a finer needle and different thread; apparently, I've been missing out on the tool's true potential. Thanks, Brad.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
I'm thinkin' you oughta press that ribbon before stitching it down with the machine. A press cloth is in order, and a spray bottle filled with water might come in handy, too.

But man, it's lookin' good so far. Excellent for a first attempt, I'd say.
lol I thought I had it good and tight, I even loosened it up a little and now I am making adjustments.:eusa_doh: About half the brim is finished. As the final stitching goes in and tightens everything up it made enough slack that I will have to undo the closed stitch at the rear and do it when I get there. I had a couple perfect on the top but missed the bottom spots and started over, but it is coming better than I planned.:eusa_doh: lol

I would post a pic of the halfway job but ...:rolleyes: :p lol

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jec said:
I stand corrected. I will have to try mine with a finer needle and different thread; apparently, I've been missing out on the tool's true potential. Thanks, Brad.

You're welcome.

The trick to getting consistent stitch sizes on bound edges is to make the width of the stitch the same number of ribs each time. I like a 4-rib size. But yes, it's quite tedious and requires a lot patience. I'd love to have a sewing machine that does that, but can't afford a decent one right now.

Brad

indycop said:
lol I thought I had it good and tight, I even loosened it up a little and now I am making adjustments.:eusa_doh: About half the brim is finished. As the final stitching goes in and tightens everything up it made enough slack that I will have to undo the closed stitch at the rear and do it when I get there. I had a couple perfect on the top but missed the bottom spots and started over, but it is coming better than I planned.:eusa_doh: lol

I would post a pic of the halfway job but ...:rolleyes: :p lol

Yeah, all that (and more) has happened to me, too. My method is always undergoing revision. It's a hybrid of all I've learned from others, and all I've learned from my own mistakes. I've found that you really gotta go slow, and proceed with the knowledge that something can go wrong (and probably will) with each and every one of those seemingly simple little steps.

Seeing how you're binding this edge on your own hat, for your own use, it might be best to settle for "good enough." I bet you'll be the only one who will ever notice whatever imperfections there might be. I have every confidence that this one will come out well, especially considering that it's your first crack at it. And next time you'll do it even better.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
As long as any imperfections are on the bottom of the brim I will be happy. What makes it so nerve wracking is it's a brand new hat I haven't even creased yet let alone had a chance to wear.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I did not really want to post this one, but to help anyone else that might think of this for the first time I will.:eek: My intent with this project was to see if a Fed with a bound brim could look "Whippetish" and be what I was hoping for with the bound Nostalgia that never happened. Now I will be happy if it just doesn't look like a hack job.

This is about half of the brim done. I have to undo the end where it is sewn together and tack it down again. The threads hanging out are just not clipped off yet. I will do all that after I get the whole thing bound.

GEDC0395-1.jpg

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Wow- I think it looks great so far. You are probably instilling the courage to others to try their own hat modifications! :eusa_clap

indycop said:
I did not really want to post this one, but to help anyone else that might think of this for the first time I will.:eek:

This is about half of the brim done. I have to undo the end where it is sewn together and tack it down again. The threads hanging out are just not clipped off yet. I will do all that after I get the whole thing bound.

It's looking pretty good. You may wish to keep a ruler handy, so as not to rely solely on your eyes to judge whether you're maintaining even ribbon widths top and bottom.

Do this another time or two and guys here will be sending you their Akubras for the IC edge treatment.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
It's looking pretty good. You may wish to keep a ruler handy, so as not to rely solely on your eyes to judge whether you're maintaining even ribbon widths top and bottom.

Do this another time or two and guys here will be sending you their Akubras for the IC edge treatment.
Funny thing I did use a ruler but failed to take into account that the thickness of the brim shortened the underside just enough to give me trouble. I think I was also trying way too hard to get the stitching as close to the edge as I could.

IC edge sounds like a cigar!lol

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
I did not really want to post this one, but to help anyone else that might think of this for the first time I will.:eek: My intent with this project was to see if a Fed with a bound brim could look "Whippetish" and be what I was hoping for with the bound Nostalgia that never happened. Now I will be happy if it just doesn't look like a hack job.

GEDC0395-1.jpg

That looks pretty darn good, IC. I have a heritage fawn Fed Dlx IV and another one in moonstone. Shall I send them to you? :D

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
You've emboldened me to post mine IC, despite that I'm less than thrilled with the results. Pics are loading from card to computer now ...

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RobFedoraField said:
you've got me motivated, a country store by my house has an akubra snowy river for $55, I've often thought about buying it, cutting down the brim to Fed VI standards and putting a thin ribbon on it.

I'll have to go back and see if they still have the hat.
That's what so great about this place.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I have lined the ribbon back up, hopefully it's even this time. I tacked it down differently this time and it seems to work better. The left side is the way I had been doing it and on the right you can just see the new way that seems better for me. This way it keeps the ribbon tight against the brim and seems to have less pucker.;) :D

GEDC0396-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925