Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra brim cut and binding.

You considering a post-retirement occupation there, Indycop?

Looks like you're enjoying this hatting thing. Can't be as much fun as rounding up crooks, but what is, eh?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
WOW...
I will be able to say...
I knew John back before he was a famous hatter!!!!

lol lol lol When are we going to see the finished brim job, IC? I'm anxious to see how it turned out.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
It is finished.:eek:

I have learned a ton from this. Mainly from the mistakes I made on this one. I will definitely be more prepared for the finish of the next one. There was not a whole lot left when I got to the end and it shows. I also have a better feel now for keeping things even, so this one was my first and it shows.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Where's the noggin shot?

worthlesswithoutpics of the finished fettered fedora and the face of the fellow who finally fettered the finished fedora.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Here it is, just remember this is my first ever attempt so don't sugarcoat it but don't lynch me either.:p :eek:

Here is the worst of it, The next one I will leave enough to work with at the end.:eusa_doh:

GEDC0406-1.jpg

And the rest. The spots at the front are from not taking the thread that I used to tack it down out before sewing over. It kinda snagged at those spots. So make sure you take it out before you get to it!:eusa_doh:

GEDC0404-1.jpg

GEDC0405-1.jpg

GEDC0412-1.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Good first try, indycop! Some things are best learned the hard way which you have attested to here.

I would personally have preferred a thinner binding, say 1/4 in. max, but that may have increased the difficulty level, yes?

toobacat

One of the Regulars
It's too bad they discontinued the Fed III. They might be flooded with orders if it was still available.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Looks great to me John... have you tried wetting the binding to see if it may dry to fit the brim?
I ironed it down and used a spray bottle to wet it. It is really close and tight, with a bit more practice on the sewing machine I think it will get better. The main thing is to do it without starting and stopping. That gives you the clean single line of thread.

Thanks for the feedback guys!:D

CRH said:
I would personally have preferred a thinner binding, say 1/4 in. max, but that may have increased the difficulty level, yes?

In my experience it's just the opposite, which might seem kinda counterintuitive. But the narrower edge bindings have less difference in circumference between their outer and inner edges, hence less pucker to make go away (or at least try to make go away). It's also easier (for me, anyway) to get a smooth arc with the narrower bindings.

And Indycop is spot on in his observation that a big part of it is not to stop and start. Get set up properly BEFORE sewing it down and it'll go smoother. Literally.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Personally, I like the wider brim binding. It adds a nice look and separates the Fed III from your JCP. Good job!
There is only 1 mm difference between the fed and the Penneys. I wanted the wide binding on it because I was hoping it would look like a whippet binding. I may do a ribbon change on it next.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
And Indycop is spot on in his observation that a big part of it is not to stop and start. Get set up properly BEFORE sewing it down and it'll go smoother. Literally.
So true! The more patience you have doing the preparation the smoother the final sewing goes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred