Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever order an Aero midweight horsehide jacket? Or Aero's Sheene?

Worldcup

New in Town
I pulled the trigger on the Sheene last Saturday :D
As this jacket will be my first AERO I chose the FQHH. I want to get the heavy feeling of horse hide.
By the way the fitting jacket was a steerhide Cafe Racer and the steerhide didn`t please me too much.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Horween makes their combination tanned Chromexcel leather in mid-weight FQHH (see here) but when I asked Aero if they'd do a midweight Aeromarine in the CXL FQHH they kindly said no. Question is this -

Do the midweight CXL's (0.8 mm - 1.1 mm) behave like a heavier leather due to the tanning process? I'm thinking they won't drape correctly due to the extra stiffness, hence Aero's hesitation to make a mid-weight jacket out of it, but didn't want to labor the point with Aero. Has anyone seen a midweight CXL hide and did it have the same depth of color and complexity the heavier CXL FQHH's have. How else does it compare?

majormajor

One Too Many
The A-2 is looking amazing now. Is it that pale, or is it the flash of the camera?

Here is an up to date (non-flash) pic:

5khv.jpg

Actually, it was too hot for an A2 today, so here is what I was actually wearing.....

A 24MJZ, from around 1963, the very last gasp of the zipped jean jacket from Wrangler. Possibly a little mundane to you guys in the U.S., but a little special here in the U.K., where it never saw the light of day.....Extra special because whoever made the left side never spoke to the person who made the right side.....

udqt.jpg

:D;)

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

5khv.jpg

Actually, it was too hot for an A2 today, so here is what I was actually wearing.....

A 24MJZ, from around 1963, the very last gasp of the zipped jean jacket from Wrangler. Possibly a little mundane to you guys in the U.S., but a little special here in the U.K., where it never saw the light of day.....Extra special because whoever made the left side never spoke to the person who made the right side.....

udqt.jpg

:D;)

That's a hella patina you've developed there. Like the Wrangler. Oddly, there's something 'Winward' about it...

technovox

One Too Many
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but what the H--- is the Aero Sheene!:eusa_doh:

A motorcycle jacket named after Barry Sheene, famed 500cc motorcycle road racer. After discussions with Carrie/Insurrection, I get the sense that it's basically a slim Cafe Racer with a different kind of collar- (a spread collar.) Not on any of the Aero or Insurrection websites as far as I can tell. I only got wind of it here on Fedora...

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
I pulled the trigger on the Sheene last Saturday :D
As this jacket will be my first AERO I chose the FQHH. I want to get the heavy feeling of horse hide.
By the way the fitting jacket was a steerhide Cafe Racer and the steerhide didn`t please me too much.

That's great! What color did you go with on the Sheene? Any special customization?

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Major that's a damn special jacket. You don't see these down under. Well, I've seen one... but you know what I mean. Love the zip.

pauleway

Practically Family
A motorcycle jacket named after Barry Sheene, famed 500cc motorcycle road racer. After discussions with Carrie/Insurrection, I get the sense that it's basically a slim Cafe Racer with a different kind of collar- (a spread collar.) Not on any of the Aero or Insurrection websites as far as I can tell. I only got wind of it here on Fedora...

Thank you, and HoosierD also!:p

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No problem... happened to have a few on file.

This will give you an idea of how supple it is:

And a few more pictures at this link:
http://s867.photobucket.com/user/nwanzenr/slideshow/Aero Cafe Racer

I hope to find time to post pictures of the tumbled FQHH Dustbowl this weekend. I'll take a shot comparing the hides.

Jeez! That is one of the nicest Aeros I've seen and one of the nicest cafe racer patterns. Can you tell me about the pattern? Does Aero normally make a back like that? What is its story? I think I need to order one.

Edward

Bartender

5khv.jpg

Wow, that's quite the transformation! Looked a bit on the light side to my eye originally, but that's a great colour now.

Thought it might be him! I found it googling after this thread... it does indeed seem to be an Insurrection special. I know it's a collared cafe racer, but it put me in mind of a zip-sleeved Highwayman run through Insurrection's vacuum-pack-fit fetish. ;)

technovox

One Too Many
I know it's a collared cafe racer, but it put me in mind of a zip-sleeved Highwayman run through Insurrection's vacuum-pack-fit fetish. ;)[/QUOTE]

That's brilliant! "Vacuum-packed-fit Highwayman"...without buckles. And I asked about adding buckles...but not an option. Just as well- probably a cleaner look without. That's what I like about the Sheene jacket- the simplicity and beautifully streamlined look.

Worldcup

New in Town
I know it's a collared cafe racer, but it put me in mind of a zip-sleeved Highwayman run through Insurrection's vacuum-pack-fit fetish. ;)

That's brilliant! "Vacuum-packed-fit Highwayman"...without buckles. And I asked about adding buckles...but not an option. Just as well- probably a cleaner look without. That's what I like about the Sheene jacket- the simplicity and beautifully streamlined look.[/QUOTE]

I can`t agree more. I even ordered one with a plain back as I don`t like shoulder gussets (too much 80s style for me...).

technovox

One Too Many
That's brilliant! "Vacuum-packed-fit Highwayman"...without buckles. And I asked about adding buckles...but not an option. Just as well- probably a cleaner look without. That's what I like about the Sheene jacket- the simplicity and beautifully streamlined look.

I can`t agree more. I even ordered one with a plain back as I don`t like shoulder gussets (too much 80s style for me...).[/QUOTE]

That's a wonderful notion! Somehow I never considered gussets/no gussets as even being an option. Since I don't ride motorcycles, it would be an unneeded detail. I'll definitely order mine without. Thanks for the suggestion!

wanz

One of the Regulars
Jeez! That is one of the nicest Aeros I've seen and one of the nicest cafe racer patterns. Can you tell me about the pattern? Does Aero normally make a back like that? What is its story? I think I need to order one.

Thank you... I have been quite happy with the jacket. Unfortunately, I don't have a very exciting story about it. The style used to be listed under the "Other Hides" section. It does look like they still have the pattern listed as available in heavy steerhide.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=42

For anyone who is interested, here is a comparison (from left to right) of FQHH (~3 years of wear), mid-weight (~2 years of year), and tumbled FQHH (brand new):

Unfortunately, the picture didn't capture the patina that exists on the tumbled FQHH.

technovox

One Too Many
Thank you... I have been quite happy with the jacket. Unfortunately, I don't have a very exciting story about it. The style used to be listed under the "Other Hides" section. It does look like they still have the pattern listed as available in heavy steerhide.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=42

For anyone who is interested, here is a comparison (from left to right) of FQHH (~3 years of wear), mid-weight (~2 years of year), and tumbled FQHH (brand new):

Unfortunately, the picture didn't capture the patina that exists on the tumbled FQHH.

Very informative comparison pics. Thanks!
From what I can see, it seems like the mid-weight hide hasn't acquired quite as much patina/character compared to the FQHH. Is the mid-weight substantially softer or more supple than the FQHH? Is it more comfortable to wear?

wanz

One of the Regulars
Yes... when Aero had the product listed on their site, they described the leather as being like butter and I would say that is accurate. Out of the box, the mid-weight was definitely more comfortable. My HWM is fairly well broken in now... I wouldn't say that it is less comfortable, but it is different. When I put on the mid-weight jacket, I often find myself thinking that it is "inky"... almost like liquid leather if that makes sense. I think that comes from both the suppleness of the leather as well as the lack of a distinct grain.

technovox

One Too Many
Yes... when Aero had the product listed on their site, they described the leather as being like butter and I would say that is accurate. Out of the box, the mid-weight was definitely more comfortable. My HWM is fairly well broken in now... I wouldn't say that it is less comfortable, but it is different. When I put on the mid-weight jacket, I often find myself thinking that it is "inky"... almost like liquid leather if that makes sense. I think that comes from both the suppleness of the leather as well as the lack of a distinct grain.

Thanks for the info and the pics. I just pulled the trigger on an Aero Sheene with Insurrection yesterday, and I've requested some leather samples. As a departure from my FQHH Half-belt, I'm really leaning toward the mid-weight CXHH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy