Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever order an Aero midweight horsehide jacket? Or Aero's Sheene?

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
I had one "regular" Aero FQHH. Honestly, it was hard to tell the two apart. It was an HG-5. I wore that one to Scotland and donned the HBD the rest of the way.
It's soft now. I pulled it out tonight and it's similar in feel to a nice steer hide USWings A-2 I have. Good stuff both. But not warm weather gear :)

I still have that HG-5 Butte, every time i check it, the person looks at me like, holy sh*t this is heavy, and i say yep its a quality leather jacket...:) I'm even on the fence to get it lined in fleece.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I still have that HG-5 Butte, every time i check it, the person looks at me like, holy sh*t this is heavy, and i say yep its a quality leather jacket...:) I'm even on the fence to get it lined in fleece.

I agree with what Scott says that none of these leather jackets are cold weather gear, even the heaviest steerhide and/or FQHH, unless layered underneath or lined with fleece.

Good to hear that! I was really NOT wanting to sell that, but it was close enough to the HBD that it seemed foolish. However (Fanch) that one had the Alpaca lining, and it was a bit warmer. That and a scarf and a heavy shirt got me through the first week in UK/Scotland. It will live longer than me :)Keep enjoying it Swoosed! :)

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Good to hear that! I was really NOT wanting to sell that, but it was close enough to the HBD that it seemed foolish. However (Fanch) that one had the Alpaca lining, and it was a bit warmer. That and a scarf and a heavy shirt got me through the first week in UK/Scotland. It will live longer than me :)Keep enjoying it Swoosed! :)

oh yea, i wear that one in the winter, with a thick sweatshirt or an irish sweater under it. theres plenty of room so i think i'm going to get it lined and the cuff done up with a buyton closure like the 30's half belt. its a tank!

Sorry to bring up a somewhat old thread, but I have a question - when buying a used Aero over eBay, how can one tell whether they're getting a midweight or heavy FQHH? Does Aero put a different tag on their midweight / jerky horsehide jackets? Or rather, if the tag says "Made of GENUINE Front Quarter Horsehide", does this always mean the jacket is made from their heavy HH? Thanks!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Monitor - you may need to ask how much the jacket weighs - that's the best clue. If it's a size 42 in Aero standard FQHH it will be around 5.5 pounds. If it's mid-weight FQHH (my favorite) around 4 pounds.

wdw

One Too Many
Monitor, you also need to be aware that just because it's labeled FQHH, it doesn't mean it is.

It could easily be steer or a mixture if it was made in 2012 or before. I'd be very wary of buying Aero on eBay now.

I've been digging all around and it appears that some Aero jackets have a tag that reads simply "made of GENUINE Horsehide", but I'm not yet certain whether this indicated lighter weight leather or is it simply alternative type of tag they're using. Either way, seller of the jacket that I'm interested in says that the leather is 1.4mm thick and 3.5kg heavy, so looking at the Aero's website section about leather, I'd say that's their heaviest stuff - 3oz.
I'd still like to know if Aero tags their leathers appropriately, like Vanson does.

wdw, I know what you mean... Any opinions on this?
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/files/cmzp4twt77tc65avgdkk.jpg
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/files/oa67o1yviduj8mukqer9.jpg

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
If it says Genuine Horsehide it should be a midweight one. The heavy Horween FQHH is labeled FQHH. The midweight HH is still FQHH BTW, as far as I know all jacket HH is. But it isn't Horween heavy FQHH, and it's sourced from various places. The oil pull midweight HH can be thicker than Horween FQHH too.

That's not to say that jackets don't get sent out with the wrong labels or even no label sometimes. I had one once. As above there was the steer problem too. But Horween steer is as good as its HH but heavy and stiff. If it doesn't feel like a suit of armour and weigh as much as one the chances are it's horse.

wdw

One Too Many
Monitor, I wouldn't have a clue about your pics. You could maybe forward them to Aero to see if they think it's genuine.

Also, if you could get a copy of the seller's purchase receipt that might narrow it down.

I'd imagine eBay could be awash with dodgy Aero hides, so unless it was super-cheap or the seller has some sort of proof about the hide, I'd be inclined to think there's a chance it's not 100% horse.

winterland1

Practically Family
Monitor, I wouldn't have a clue about your pics. You could maybe forward them to Aero to see if they think it's genuine.

Also, if you could get a copy of the seller's purchase receipt that might narrow it down.

I'd imagine eBay could be awash with dodgy Aero hides, so unless it was super-cheap or the seller has some sort of proof about the hide, I'd be inclined to think there's a chance it's not 100% horse.

Really? I would think the chances are rare that an Aero jacket is not as labeled. I would think the majority whose were mislabeled traded their jacket in or were compensated in some way. I would think Aero would then label correctly and resell.

wdw

One Too Many
Who knows? I'd have thought that there could still be plenty of dodgy ones out there as probably not every buyer reads the Aero front or news pages, much less this forum. It only really matters if the buyer particularly wants pure horse, though.

Did Aero ever say how many they had returned, by the way?

@wdw - Okay, I've discussed the whole horsehide steerhide issue with the seller, turns out the jacket has been inspected by Aero not a month ago and it's definitely horsehide, so that good. The jacket has been weighed, it's exactly 2.8 kg or 6lbs and considering it's their MC (The Wild One) jacket in size 44, I guess that sounds about right, too.

@Capesofwrath - that's what I've been wondering about, if Aero is labeling their jackets accordingly. Soon to be my jacket has FQHH label and it's good to know this (almost) always means that the jacket is actually made from the Horween heavy HH. All in all, perfect. Really looking forward to it!

Tons of thanks everyone, you've put my mind at ease. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24