Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever order an Aero midweight horsehide jacket? Or Aero's Sheene?

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info and the pics. I just pulled the trigger on an Aero Sheene with Insurrection yesterday, and I've requested some leather samples. As a departure from my FQHH Half-belt, I'm really leaning toward the mid-weight CXHH.

I got some mid weight samples from aero last month, I prefer the oil pull. i'm not keen on pigmented spray ons after my last mid wieght half belt.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I got some mid weight samples from aero last month, I prefer the oil pull. i'm not keen on pigmented spray ons after my last mid wieght half belt.

I believe recalling someone else saying that the oil pulled MWHH had more "character" than the other MWHH, so your preference for the oil pull might well have validity.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
I believe recalling someone else saying that the oil pulled MWHH had more "character" than the other MWHH, so your preference for the oil pull might well have validity.

by far. the oil pull is the way to go if you want that old style looking leather. it might not be the best bet to get wet, but it looks the part.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I believe Aero has two iterations of oil pulled HH. One is FQHH oil pull that is very water resistant, and the other is MWHH oil pull which is only splash resistant. Scott, I believe that your HBD is made from FQHH oil pull. Highwaymanman, not sure what you have but suspect that it is the same hide as Scott's.

I believe Aero has two iterations of oil pulled HH. One is FQHH oil pull that is very water resistant, and the other is MWHH oil pull which is only splash resistant. Scott, I believe that your HBD is made from FQHH oil pull. Highwaymanman, not sure what you have but suspect that it is the same hide as Scott's.
Yessir Fanch, you are correct.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Scott, now that you have dragged your HBD on the road behind your pickup truck from LA to NYC and then back to LA, how is the HBD holding up? :D Patina? Any recent pictures?

Scott, now that you have dragged your HBD on the road behind your pickup truck from LA to NYC and then back to LA, how is the HBD holding up? :D Patina? Any recent pictures?
I didn't get much time in it this winter. I'll pull it out and see if it's worth reshooting it. It's so hard here to get it looking worn - the three weeks in Europe did more than the rest of the 1.5 years have. :)

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I have read about the possibility of two weights of oil pull in archived threads. I also read a thread where an Aero employee stated that there was only one weight of oil pull. So I've been confused!

My example was an ebay purchase that is about 11 years old now. The original owner did not wear it, I put the first creases on the sleeves. I was intrigued to find that a. it weighs a ton and b. it has a FQHH label on it!

All this makes me think I may have the heavier version rather than the midweight.

Another thing, I've noticed in the pictures posted on here is that the color varies between a reddish dark brown and something closer to seal. For what it's worth mine is the reddish color. Thanks guys, you've cleared up a long standing conundrum for me. Any other info you have on oil pull (e.g. is that heavyweight stuff made by Horween, if not who makes it?) would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that the MWHH oil pull is tanned in the UK rather than Chicago (Horween), although Holly would be the one to provide the answer.

I thought the MWHH oil was an older offering...I didn't know it was still around...Mine is fo sho the heavy stuff. Once you get it beat a little it's great. I happened to get mine from Galashiels in the winter and wore it during very cold/wet/windy days and it was like wearing battle armor. But the fur collar was nice!

Tadite

Familiar Face
I noticed a new mid weight horsehide mentioned on the aeromarine thread. Battered Brown. It seems to be below 3 oz horsehide ( I think it's higher then the jerky which I believe is 2oz) but isn't the normal mid weight? Not sure what is to be frank. Anyone have some more info?

Seems not to be the oil pull or just another name for the distressed or tumbled.

wdw

One Too Many
I've ordered a battered brown Shackleton and Ken at Aero said it was lighter than FQHH and hence easier to work with. I think it also draped more easily, as you'd expect.

wdw

One Too Many
Hi Sloan, I really hope you mean that literally as I'm on holiday next week and would like to see it before I go. Apparently my Teamster alterations are almost finished too, so hopefully a double package shortly.

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I thought the MWHH oil was an older offering...I didn't know it was still around...Mine is fo sho the heavy stuff. Once you get it beat a little it's great. I happened to get mine from Galashiels in the winter and wore it during very cold/wet/windy days and it was like wearing battle armor. But the fur collar was nice!

Thanks for this info Butte. I am somewhat heartened that you, with lots of experience of of different jacket weights, found it to be armour-like. I have never seen or worn a FQHH jacket but I've often thought "Crikey, it can't be much heavier than this, surely!" while wearing what must be that exact same oil pull. Can it be compared with regular Aero FQHH?

I had one "regular" Aero FQHH. Honestly, it was hard to tell the two apart. It was an HG-5. I wore that one to Scotland and donned the HBD the rest of the way.
It's soft now. I pulled it out tonight and it's similar in feel to a nice steer hide USWings A-2 I have. Good stuff both. But not warm weather gear :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24