Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite type of Steak

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Rib-eye, not too bothered about the breed as long as it is grass-fed, and hung for 21 days at least. Either done in the pan or over charcoal, until it has a proper dark crust outside and medium rare middle. Salt & pepper, no marinades or sauces, but maybe deglaze the pan with some red wine.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That looks wonderful, but dear Lord that's alot of butter!

It does look a lot but as the chef who wrote it says, you don't end up eating that much of it at all. It's for basting the steak and for that wonderful caramelised milk proteins which form on the outside of the steak.

Honestly try it next time you cook a steak Lolly, it does do a beautiful job.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I like steak or most any kind. I actually like grilled round steak better than burgers. Leave it looking like flesh, not ground stuff, grill it, and I'll eat it. I really do need to go to Mike Shannon's in StL and try aged beef one of these days, but grilled beef is just plain good.

later

Puzzicato

One Too Many
It does look a lot but as the chef who wrote it says, you don't end up eating that much of it at all. It's for basting the steak and for that wonderful caramelised milk proteins which form on the outside of the steak.

Honestly try it next time you cook a steak Lolly, it does do a beautiful job.

I've done them with the butter baste, and I don't think it adds much to the flavour or finish.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Weekend before last I cooked a couple of inch and a half thick, pound plus, Black Angus ribeyes medium rare on the grill. Doesn't get much better for me.

arturofinkus

New in Town
i really like a 2 inch grass feed ribeye rubbed with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. then get a saute pan going on the flame
and sear both sides. throw under the broiler and get to med rare. take the steak out and let it rest while you throw some butter and shallots
in the pan and deglaze with whatever wine you are enjoying throw in some fresh tyme, salt and pepper. slice up your steak add sauce.
eat the steak, drink the wine, converse with all sharing! life is good eh!

shortbow

Practically Family
Tonight I had filet de mule deer, hung for 15 days in average temp of 40degrees, burned the outside, the inside still quivering, done on the barbe. Could've cut it with a fork. There's no cow meat on the planet that can compare.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A Petey's Bungalow 26 oz Porterhouse, medium-well.

Stopped at the Bung this evening and found the place closed,
without sign notice, and several phone calls have gone unanswered.
Bungalow's back in biz. :D
Petey; otherwise affectionately dubbed by staff "Ming-the-merciless,"
worked the crew through Valentine's Day, then uncharacteristically bestowed
a Tuesday holiday but forgot to post notice; leaving Tuesday regulars wondering.
Tomorrow, a 26 oz Porterhouse. :essen:

Last edited:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Filet mignon medium or medium-well. I've had three very good preparations, each of which I'd consider as the 'best steak I've ever eaten'.

One was a filet broiled on a hardwood-burning grill, sliced, marinated and folded into a mushroom madiera sauce. You could taste the smokiness of the fire, hints of the wine, a slight earthiness from the mushrooms, and of course the meat was fork tender. Another steak was from my favorite family-owned Italian restaurant, a simple filet served medium-well covered in a red wine reduction with sauteed mushrooms. And the other wasn't a filet, but instead a New York Strip steak; my father's best friend had some good connections that year and managed to get some cuts of steak from the 2nd place cow at (I think it was) the Iowa state fair. It could be another state; I forgot. While not exactly lean meat, the marbling kept the steak extremely moist and juicy by the time we pulled it off the grill. Melt-in-the-mouth buttery smooth, at an evenly cooked medium-well. The ends became charred, and concentrated all the flavors... Delicious, but we couldn't actually eat the burnt ends. Still amazing, though. That one probably goes down as my best of all-time.

I'm hungry now. :hungry:

Pompidou

One Too Many
I like enormous cuts of prime rib as close to raw as safely possible. I think the beer that would go best with it is probably an imperial pale ale or imperial Russian stout - strong food and strong beer. Stone puts out an amazing representative of each. In practice, finding a restaurant with a generous selection of beer on tap is uncommon, but Guinness is fairly common, and it's the beer I cut my teeth on, so I'll never turn it down.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Porterhouse medium rare then Prime Rib crusty out cooked just so the blood inside has change to the color of cedar water in the Jersey Pine Barrens. Or a Cheese Steak from a corner roach coach in center city Philadelphia I'm easy that way.
Tom D.

Effingham

A-List Customer
I just have to throw in something a friend once said:

"A good steak is properly cooked when a good vet can still save it."

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm a bit on the low to no class side when it comes to steaks. I like them ALL. I love Prime Rib, but I'd just as soon grill a pot roast as slow cook it in a crock pot. I even like that junk that is run through a tenderizer machine and used to cost $2.00 a pound when Sirloin was $6. I still need to try a 50 day dry (or wet) aged steak somewhere. I like rare, but mainly because I cook most of my own and I can't wait. I do have friends in the whole "bring in the steer, show the cow the fire, butcher the cow, bring steak to table" group though. I find raw meet a bit chewy.

I know own a real propane grill, but my old favorite is the green drug store $3.95 model with Kingford charcoal on it. Used one all of the way through college. I only bought the propane because it was less expensive than buying Charcoal for $6.00 a bag twice a month.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I mentioned way at the start of this thread that I love me some porterhouse but I must chime in with all those who are a ravin' about the tenderloin. That's good eatin'....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic