Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite type of Steak

HectorTorta

New in Town
I used to be a petit filet man but after a while I just craved a but more character. These days I'm all about bone-in rib eye, medium rare.

Am I alone in thinking that steaks taste better after a martini (or two)?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I must be in a group few in members, but I could never understand the eating of steaks rare. Medium or medium well, but I don't think I could ever stomach any meat that's cold, bleeding, and occasionally still attached to the rest of the animal. I tried bacon raw once, and I was sick for a week afterwards. An acquired taste perhaps? Everyone says rare is the only way...

Effingham

A-List Customer
Personally I like medium. Warm and pink, just like a lady's cheek. And just as yummy.

Ummm.... wait.

Did I just out myself as a cannibal? That's not what I meant...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The NY strip is my all-time favorite. But I just had a handcut 20oz porterhouse at Amelio & Ike's in Logansport, IN, that stopped my clock! Man, was it yummy. And a decent Cali merlot at $10 a bottle too. For a small-town sports bar, way above and beyond. If you're passing thru on US 24, come as you are.

I tend to enjoy a fine filet mignon, after that a well marbelled rib eye, NY or a full blown Porterhouse.

However if anyone gets to LA and can find the time, go to Taylor's.
There's one in LA and one in La Canada. There try the Coulotte of Beef which in some places is known as a baseball steak, rare with a char. At Taylor's I'd get it with Caesar salad, scallops with bacon and a big jammy red Zinfandel.

http://www.taylorssteakhouse.com/index.html

Last edited:

Jesse Jack

New in Town
A porterhouse when I can get a good one without giving up an arm and a leg. My go-to steak is a ribeye. I like 'em pan fried in olive oil medium.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Any kind made out of meat...medium rare, please! ;)

Any kind? ;)

Reminds me of a classic billboard:

358317592_868aa124e5_z.jpg

LordBest

Practically Family
Splendid billboard, up there with the picture of a 'vegetarian only' queue in an American BBQ restaurant which led straight to the exit.

I favour a good rib eye, followed by tournedos, t-bone and chateaubriand*, when I can get it. Rare, of course. Better for the texture, flavour and much easier on the digestion. To address an earlier post, rare should not be cold in the middle, it should be quite warm. Blue is when it is cool in the centre. I don't like that myself, I find the texture is uncomplimentary the rest of the steak. If I want cool beef I will order steak tartare.

*I admit this is fundamentally a thick tournedos/filet mignon but it is impressive enough to warrant its own place on the list, in my opinion.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... Am I alone in thinking that steaks taste better after a martini (or two)?

I like Jack Daniels, straight, with my steak. Four or five of them to get started. As to the steak, I like a couple BIG rib eyes, medium rare. As a rule, the bigger the steak the better. Anything under 16 oz is just an appetizer.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I may or may not have already posted this, but I will anyway. Beef (preferably, although I am open to suggestions) not cooked very much without much to mess with its flavor. Other than that, I am not picky.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I had a chicken fried steak the other night that was so, so incredibly wonderful. And I'm a Yankee..........

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Haven't you ever had it before?
My first wife was a Southern Belle. She wasn't the best cook but her chicken fried steak was almost worth the hell it entailed. But nobody was attracted to her for her culinary prowess. Paul Lynde, upon laying eyes on her for the first time, dropped to the ground and began kissing her feet. And he was gay......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran