Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite type of Steak

Speaking of steak.... We made reservations at Prime Steakhouse at the Bellagio in Vegas. Has anyone been there?

I have not been to it but have been to several of the other famous steakhouses in Las Vegas. Just remember you will be paying top dollar for what should be a great meal so if anything is not the way you want it over cooked under cooked you flag down the wait staff and send it back! I have had 2 occasions at top notch restaurants in Vegas where the entree was over cooked beyond belief. Both times they started fresh and got it right. This usually happens when they are at their most busiest and the chef has gotten overwhelmed or distracted.

If time permits have a dinner at Piero Salvagios Valentino in the Venitian, I have had some of the most enjoyable meals there.

rue

Nice change of my words :p

I have not been to it but have been to several of the other famous steakhouses in Las Vegas. Just remember you will be paying top dollar for what should be a great meal so if anything is not the way you want it over cooked under cooked you flag down the wait staff and send it back! I have had 2 occasions at top notch restaurants in Vegas where the entree was over cooked beyond belief. Both times they started fresh and got it right. This usually happens when they are at their most busiest and the chef has gotten overwhelmed or distracted.

If time permits have a dinner at Piero Salvagios Valentino in the Venitian, I have had some of the most enjoyable meals there.

We're there for two nights, so I'll check it out and see if she wants to change it. Thank you John :)
The other night we're going to Roy's for sure. I miss the Ahi that we used to eat there when we lived in Pebble Beach :D

Last edited:

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
I like a ribeye cut to about an inch and a half thick. Before cooking, let it come up to room temperature, more or less. Then just rub with a little salt and fresh ground pepper. Put the cast iron grid on the Big Green Egg and get it up to about 600 degrees F. Put the steak on for about 2 minutes per side...max. Pair the steak up with a couple bottles of ice cold Miller High Life. After dinner, go out on the porch and have a nice cigar and a glass of Templeton Rye. Heaven on a summer night in Iowa.

flyfishark

Practically Family
I like a ribeye cut to about an inch and a half thick. Before cooking, let it come up to room temperature, more or less. Then just rub with a little salt and fresh ground pepper. Put the cast iron grid on the Big Green Egg and get it up to about 600 degrees F. Put the steak on for about 2 minutes per side...max. Pair the steak up with a couple bottles of ice cold Miller High Life. After dinner, go out on the porch and have a nice cigar and a glass of Templeton Rye. Heaven on a summer night in Iowa.

I like everything you said, but what is a "Big Green Egg," and why don't I have one...or do I??

flyfishark

Practically Family
The NY strip is my all-time favorite. But I just had a handcut 20oz porterhouse at Amelio & Ike's in Logansport, IN, that stopped my clock! Man, was it yummy. And a decent Cali merlot at $10 a bottle too. For a small-town sports bar, way above and beyond. If you're passing thru on US 24, come as you are.

Have you had the steak at St. Elmo's? I liked it as much as Ruth's Chris.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I like everything you said, but what is a "Big Green Egg," and why don't I have one...or do I??

BigGreenEggLogo.jpg

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars

Ah,,,Tomasso knows! The Big Green Egg is a ceramic smoker/grill. Cooks smoked meat low and slow, like the brisket I had on today for 16 hours at 250 degrees F. Then open the vents get it up to 600-700 and cook steak or use it as a wood fired pizza oven. Homemade pizza in 4 minutes!

My wife doesn't understand my obsession although she likes the food.:) I tend to like things that have a lot of process to them.

flyfishark

Practically Family
Ah,,,Tomasso knows! The Big Green Egg is a ceramic smoker/grill. Cooks smoked meat low and slow, like the brisket I had on today for 16 hours at 250 degrees F. Then open the vents get it up to 600-700 and cook steak or use it as a wood fired pizza oven. Homemade pizza in 4 minutes!

My wife doesn't understand my obsession although she likes the food.:) I tend to like things that have a lot of process to them.

Who has a Big Green Egg for sale? Where do you get it?

Allen

New in Town
My favorite cut is the filet, over all else. While Perry's Steakhouse and Del Frisco's are occasional delicacies for me, there's certainly nothing wrong with the selection at Saltgrass. I usually get the 7 oz. center cut filet, cooked medium rare with a sweet potato on the side. A supper of choice on any night. :)

My favorite cut is the filet, over all else. While Perry's Steakhouse and Del Frisco's are occasional delicacies for me, there's certainly nothing wrong with the selection at Saltgrass. I usually get the 7 oz. center cut filet, cooked medium rare with a sweet potato on the side. A supper of choice on any night. :)

I may have seen Del Frisco's advertised someplace they are a high end chain of restaurants? The other two I am not familiar with where are they located?

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
There is a Del Frisco's close to me in Houston (1960 area). I haven't eaten there as I usually hit Texas Roadhouse for a ribeye, loaded baked potatoe and of course a few Coronas.

Allen

New in Town
I may have seen Del Frisco's advertised someplace they are a high end chain of restaurants? The other two I am not familiar with where are they located?

Very high end. The one that I go to is located in the Galleria area, off Westheimer in Houston.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I thought about this thread today, as I was at Costco.
Bought a pack of sirloins, different sized cuts in one pack.
After cooking them for 20 min over 3/4 charcoal and 1/4 pecan wood, I served them with garlic & pepper fries.
My wife has yet to complain about this meal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran