Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you want a really effective way to stop the sweat rolling down your face, or in your case accumulating, you can do what the military does. I learned about it from some guys that was in "Desert Storm". Hot climates, hot helmets, and you need to keep your eyes clear from sweat. Now don't freak out but steal some of your wife's "feminine hygiene" pads and stick them in the hat. Super absorbent. I have also heard about a hat liner being developed to stick in hard hats and wigs made from the same material. But have never seen one on the market yet. my two cents worth.
Johnny

Liner pads

johnnycanuck said:
If you want a really effective way to stop the sweat rolling down your face, or in your case accumulating, you can do what the military does. I learned about it from some guys that was in "Desert Storm". Hot climates, hot helmets, and you need to keep your eyes clear from sweat. Now don't freak out but steal some of your wife's "feminine hygiene" pads and stick them in the hat. Super absorbent. I have also heard about a hat liner being developed to stick in hard hats and wigs made from the same material. But have never seen one on the market yet. my two cents worth.
Johnny
======
They use the same technique for the drill instructors campaign hats.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Another option would be to sew a loop of terrycloth or other absorbent material around the existing headband. I have one of those seagrass pith helmets, and it has a vinyl sweatband with a short section in the front of terrycloth. It's really just enough to keep the sweat out of your eyes, but I wish it went all the way around.

johnnycanuck

Good day to all.
Mojave Jack, I just have to ask, what do use your Pith helmet for? In fact a more rounded question, how many people have them? Do you use it? and is it really better then a "normal" sun hat?
Johnny

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Any of you actually wear a pith helmet for outside work?

Thanks for the posting, Story. I took a look at the link and I'm intrigued with the Woseley Pith Helmet at IMA.
ABH1001-4.jpg

Besides looking very '40s, it might actually be quite practical for my work in the field in the hot summer. I spend long hours on back roads tracking wolves in the Chequamegon National Forest in Northern Wisconsin, using an open Jeep Wrangler. Even up here, the sun can be 'bloody hot.'

Like you, Johnny, I wonder if any of our Fodora Lounge colleagues actually wear one of these on a regular basis. Has anyone had any experience with the IMA Woseley? Since I'm actually going to wear it (although maybe I'll toss it in the back seat when I go past a timber camp) I'd like to know how well a Woseley performs as protection from the sun, as well as how it stands up to rough use in the field. Are there other designs that function more effectively? Are there other brands that take abuse better?

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
You didnt ask me but---

I have used the WWII type Pith Helmets for the last 10 years. I thought I found a gold mine in Memphis and purchased 6 of them for 10.00 each. I have gone thru two, gave my father in law one of them. They are hands down cooler than any hat for extended wear outside. Plus they are light. Downside, the problems mentioned in the above replies. I have found none with any sweatbands that are absorbent at all. Perhaps the real pith helmets from Village Hat shop are a liiiitle better because they have a leather sweatband. I really wish I could find one with the hook on sweat pad similar to what hardhats have. IMO, they are coolest because the air circulates under the whole helmet and helps cool your head. They do not absorb or retain any heat from their exposure to the sun because of the material they are constructed from. Just my two bits, but they are practical, they do work, and they are cheap. Just try not to sit on one!!! Used to be standard issue in the tropics for the military. Must have something going for them!!!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
johnnycanuck said:
Good day to all.
Mojave Jack, I just have to ask, what do use your Pith helmet for? In fact a more rounded question, how many people have them? Do you use it? and is it really better then a "normal" sun hat?
Johnny

Honestly, I almost never wear mine. Actually, my dad got me an actual pith helpmet when I finished my M.A.; he said I couldn't be a real archaeologist without a pith helmet! Mainly I wear it for halloween. It's a bit...large. Honestly, if i ever wore a pith helmet or a brown fedora around other archaeologists I would never be taken seriously again!

My wife wears my seagrass pith helmet sometimes, but the weave is too loose to really be a good sun hat. And the desert sun is relentless, so it stays home, too.

Lastly, my fiberglass one is a remnant from my Marine Corps days. The PMIs (Primary Markmanship Instructors) still wear them on a daily basis. I have my eagle, globe, and anchor on that one. It really is not that great either. It's kind of heavy, so it tends to slide down onto my ears unless the headband is so tight that it rides up in the back like a DI's smokey bear.

So overall, I have to say I'm not a fan of the piths that I have. I've never seen the suspension in a vintage pith helmet, but I'd be willing to bet it's more like the suspension in a steel pot or a tin hat.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I have the army WWII type and I wear it out sometimes. I want a sized one that isn't adjustable, I like the French Style and Wosley type, but I want it to fit. I had a vintage Abercrombie that I sold. It looked like I had a basket on my head.

Speedster

Practically Family
My pith(iful) helmet

I have always been crazy about tropical gear and highest on the must have list was a pith helmet. The ones i could find in antigue stores were all in very bad condition and very expensive.

So in about 1980 i ended up buying a pith helmet in the then and now only hat shop in Copenhagen: Petitgas.

It still cost me a small fortune but was brand new and very good looking at the time, but it was made with vinyl a sweatband and vinyl edge around the brim.

Due to all this vinyl i have only worn it a few times (apart from trying it on once in a while). It might work at keeping my head cool but due to the vinyl sweatband the rest of my head feels like standing in a shower.

Also over time the khaki fabric got dark spots as if the glue used to fasten the fabric on the shell started to shoving through.

I would still like to have another pith helmet in one of the classic brittish, french or german styles, but i think wearing it would be limited to the garden only.

Anyway here are some pictures of it.

111_1157.jpg

111_1158.jpg

111_1159.jpg

111_1160.jpg

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Speedster, that is a great looking pith, too bad about the band and the spotting. Just the type i'm looking for, non adjustable. The problem I see with most is no Pug around them.

johnnycanuck

Well I took the plunge and bought the French Pith Helmet - Big Head Version from the Village hat shop.
http://www.villagehatshop.com/pith_helmet.html
Being they did not have any other big head versions available it made my decision easy. I did not think 7 1/2 was that big:eek: . I will try to remember to post a update when it gets here. If you want more pictures of the hats I think these guys are the suppliers.
http://www.nogetraco.com/album.asp?id=12
As for being adjustable, if I end up using it as a lawn care hat, I can see taking the Velcro out and just sewing the band to my size. Like any normal hat. Or getting the hat shop in town to do it for me. Oh and they seem to have nice a Pugree on them as well.;)
Johnny.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

Baggers

Practically Family
johnnycanuck said:
Nick Charles - I want a sized one that isn't adjustable, I like the French Style and Wosley type, but I want it to fit.

Did you consider this one?
http://www.millerhats.com/outdoor1a.htm
Small, medium and large is better then one size fits all.
Johnny.

Check Jerry Lee at What Price Glory. He sells a sized Wolesley for $60. The sweatband and liner look exactly like the one in Speedster's helmet. Go to the UK List and then to Headwear and that's where you'll find it. I have one, and except for the chinstrap (easily replaceable), I think it looks great.

Cheers!

johnnycanuck

I admit the one on the miller web page was not the best looking lid on the market but the only one I saw sized. So I thought I would at least point it out. [huh]
The ones you guys pointed out look really nice, pricy, but nice. I can justify to myself (and more importantly my wife) spending under $100 on a "fun" hat. But with shipping handling and duties added on, both options you guys pointed out would exceed my (and more importantly, my wife's) justification cost barrier. So I guess I will see what $32 gets me. Hopefully its half way decent.
Johnny

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Baggers, Can I see picture of the inside of yours? I was thinking about Jerry's along with the shirt and Bush jacket, but didn't like the strap. I like the tag one and they cost about the same. Now all I need is to hit the lottery.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails