Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Drunk/Mean Drunk

Are you a happy drunk or mean drunk

• Happy drunk - I love the world when I'm tight

Votes: 34 94.4%
  • Mean drunk - Don't cross my path

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
My dad once told me that a person in their drunk state reveals their true self. In other words, if a person is a happy/friendly drunk, they are truly a happy friendly person underneath it all. If they are mean when drunk, they may deep down be a mean individual. Basically, the theory is that when a person consumes alcohol to a drunk state, they lose all the self-monitoring and inhibitions that would prevent them from acting such a way in the first place.

I'm not saying this theory is true for every case, but as a sociology/criminology person, I find it intriguing.

And yes, I am a friendly drunk, so who will be my friend? :p

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm a very giggly, happy drunk. I still maintain a little bit of self-consciousness though because I don't want to be the obnoxious one running around naked and laughing their heads off.

I also just LOVE to dance when I'm drunk. I dance like my dad too (it's very scary), but I don't even care, I just want to have a good time and I always manage to get at least a few people dancing with me.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I've yet to get drunk. I've gotten spinning typsy giddy. But my sister, let me tell ya, she is one happy happy lovey lovey drunk! lol
One day yeara ago she came home after work when she used to work construction drinking with the fellers, (how she actually made it home with out an accident is still a mystery) asking, and I quote "give me a hug, come on Faith, give me a hug, give me a drink". Gosh she cracks me up when she is drunk. Ahhh, good times, things to hold over her head for years! The joys of being the younger sister.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm definitely a happy drunk and most of my girlfriends are happy drunks. At least I think I remember being a happy drunk!
I know a few mean drunks. Guy's whose the effects of alcohol make them think they are the king of the world, that they can do anything and say anything. I think, from my experience Gin makes a pretty angry drunk!

I don't drink much anymore. It's amazing what a few years can do to someone. I used to be able to go out drinking just about every night. My parents called me The Energizer Bunny, for sleeping was so rare and I was always out at some club or party or something. I thought that was the life, always out partying with friends. Then I aged a few years and started requiring sleep. I'd prefer ordering a Diet Pepsi with lemon on my Monday night dinners with my close friends. My good friend from college, Shely, and I were just talking about how much has changed for us, since our 10 year college reunion is in a few weeks. One of the things that's really changed is our drinking habits. We are both very cheap dates in our older age!

Elaina

One Too Many
I don't drink to excess, but there's not one for me listed. I'm a happy, loud, giggly drunk as long as you're 2 feet or so away (unless I'm romantically involved with you) and if you touch me, I get very much antisocial and very unhappy when I drink.

Haversack

One Too Many
Definitely on the Happy side of the equation. I've a tendancy to sing and spout poesy anyway and the lessening of one's filters and inhibitions through the courtesies of John Barleycorn or Dionysus brings this out. Usually something by Gilbert & Sullivan or folk songs.

For a more detailed accounting of our inibriated characters, we could turn to the 16th Century satirist, Thomas Nashe. He identified seven kinds of drunkards:

"The ape-drunk, who leaps and sings; the lion-drunk, who is quarrelsome; the swine-drunk, who is sleepy and puking; the sheep-drunk, wise in his own conceit but unable to speak; the martin-drunk, who drinks himself sober again; the goat-drunk, who is lascivious; and the fox-drunk, who is crafty."

Haversack.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tend to open up a bit and be somewhat talkative. I try to limit myself to 10 or 12 mixed drinks.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
I'm always being told that alcohol is a depressant. I have to say, I'm a happy drunk. An hour ago I thought I hit my nadir and a couple of cocktails later I'm ready to take on the world. Which side are you on?

Regards,

Senator Jack

You are a happy drunk...unless you forget your ATM PIN and blame it on the ATM......then you are an umbrella wielding-beating-up-the-ATM sort.....although you were laughing as you did that.....lol

J. M. Stovall said:
Happy, happy, joy, joy!

I hope not! I'll have dreams about this one:

holdrecord.jpg

ironing.jpg

bk

Pilgrim

One Too Many
When slightly under the influence, I tend to be more outgoing and cheerful.

I have learned the hard way NEVER to become more than "slightly". The results are too devastating to my system, and I lose the entire next day to both head and stomach malaise.

IMHO, if someone is a "mean drunk", that is sufficient reason for them to swear off drinking or NEVER have more than one. There's no place for it.

And my compliments to the John Kricfalusi, Ren & Stimpy fans!

(I also know all the words to "Deck Us All With Boston Charlie".)

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
I'm a happy, responsible drunk who turns very introverted and analytical. I don't drink until I'm sick, nor do I get loud. I have been known to sing. I'm mostly harmless.

Pilgrim said:
IMHO, if someone is a "mean drunk", that is sufficient reason for them to swear off drinking or NEVER have more than one. There's no place for it.

Sounds good to me. Same with all other "substances". If you wouldn't want to meet yourself in a dark alley when under the influence, if you wouldn't wish yourself on your worst enemy when your under the influence, then don't get under the influence.

But, then, what about people who are just mean?.

bk

Novella

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
But this thread brings up a discussion I've had with friends:
If you get "sleepy" after drinking and crash on the couch or just go to bed, is that passing out? Where is the line?[huh]

I always wonder about that too. Same with the term "drunk." I've heard different people use it to describe different levels of intoxication.

I'm a cheerful tipsy person, but I'm generally a cheerful sober person too. As I've gotten older, my silly outgoing side has retreated a bit in favor of being quieter and more reserved around people I don't know that well. That all goes in reverse after a few. I'm also more likely to put beginning French classes into use. Pretty scary, really.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Funny, I was just thinking that myself. I've come across people who should stay drunk all the time, as the song goes.

Ha, that reminds me of everytime I have had to have an eperdermal, labor and other circumstances. My family members always seem to think that I should have some to take home. I guess with them I can be a bit ....grouchy(and thats just every day life)...lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic