Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

HighSociety

New in Town
Hi! I´m a "soon-to-be 18-year old" lady with a passion for everything vintage and I´m glad to be here.
Since I can remember I have always felt like an oddball compared to my trend-following,chart hit-listening peers, with all of my vintage clothes,posters,movies,my pin curls and listening to Frank Sinatra,Billie Holiday,Bing Crosby,Dinah Washington,Ella Fitzgerald and so on...
but now I´m glad to notice there are so many other glamorous people here who dream about the golden age of..well...everything!

Looking forward to kickin´ it at the lounge!

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Hi, I joined in February this year and have made a few posts already before actually coming across this thread.
I was born in 1953 just after the the era that fascinates me most, the 40s and WW2. I like to learn and try and understand all aspects of it from the politics, the innocence and naivety of the population, the shortages and rationing (which was still in when I was born) the dress, the correctness of speech, grammar and the optimism of a better tomorrow that everyone shared and hoped for. Dame Vera Lynn singing "There'll be bluebirds over, the white cliffs of Dover" always makes the hairs on the back of neck stand up when ever I hear it, with the hopes and optimism for a better future after the war in the words of that song, thinking of it being sung to British wartime servicemen all over the world.
I certainly feel that it is a time that is lost and would certainly improve our situation now if some of the values and respect for people were there today in the way people address you and the way in which we treat others. There should be no place for, and absolutley no reason for people to have "Angst and Rage" when we look at what we have got now. We have it all, compared to then.
I like all films of that era whether it be war, non-war,factual or fiction, American, British, although I must say my all time favourite film is "A brief Encounter". I also like any current day remakes of films, or series depicting the 40s era, again "Foyle's War" possibly being one of my favourites and as a TV and film extra would love to be in, but have not had the opportunity so far to do it.
The remake of the Dambusters and the chaging of Guy Gibsons dogs name to something more polically correct, really bugs me. How can you change history? Did'nt Hitler try that?
I am not involved with any reenactment societies, but I like to visit events locally that usually involve war time weekends for things such like Battle of Britain, VE/VJ day, RAFA Wings Appeal etc where the dress, vehicles, aircraft and music add so much to the occasion.
Being so close to Northern France I should have been to the D Day landings areas and war cemeteries but get too choked up just seeing all the war graves on TV, or watching the proud surviving veterans on TV, without actually being there, but I will do it, and soon.
I dress smart and slightly lean toward the 40s era, as you may see from my avatar, and being involved with the RAF requires a certain standard of dress. I am a strong believer in if you want to make an impression on someone, you must dress accordingly and that way you will gain their respect or at least their affection by doing so. You never get a second chance to make a first impression I have always been told. Shoes are immaculately bulled at all times, trousers pressed always, the hat I've taken to wearing recently after wanting to for many years, and finding it only receives favourable comments from those in society who matter to me, and those who are amused or confused by the appearance can gain whatever they like from it in their own world.
This is a fantastic forum, and never have I felt so much a part of something right from day one when I clicked on the button to join.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Good morning, fellas.

I already posted an intro in the hats section - but then someone pointed me over here.

I registered yesterday. I love this place already! :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
well i introduced myself in the Powder Room, why not here as well?

my name is Shannon, but i'm likely to go as Kitty here. i live in the Boston area, am mostly into 40s and 50s fashion (mostly 50s), rockabilly and swing (though my tastes are wide and varied), small batch bourbon, and playing roller derby.

hi!

kitty

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hello!

I'm new here and I can't for the life of me remember how I stumbled upon FL!

I have been interested in retro wear since I was in high school. I was a big fan of the 60s and 70s back then. Those are some funny pictures if I can dig them up!

I bought my first furniture in my early 20s. I have these adorable 50s end tables and a rather hideous couch which is in the process of being reupholstered 5 years later.

I bought my first 40s/50s dresses last Fall and have decided since then that the 40s is my favorite era.

I love FL and you ladies have been very helpful in a number of ways! Thanks!

WH1

Practically Family
Don't think I have ever introduced myself. I am 43 years old, lucky to be married to a beautiful, intelligent, understanding woman (I think she looks like Katherine Hepburn). We have 2 sons 18 & 21. I am a Marine. We recently moved to Northern Alabama, have bought a beautiful southern style home with room for the horses (a key focus of life) and are enjoying turning it into our dream place. I am a Life member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and hunting of all kinds is a passion, particularly elk and upland game. I also enjoy classic movies, music of the golden era and the 50's/early 60's. I guess my favorite all around is Dean Martin, great singer, classic dresser, and one funny individual, he has style.
In closing, I enjoy the interaction here on FL, it is good to see so many people discussing so many diverse and interesting subjects.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice to hear from all of you. I like this bunch. I'm Timothy Doran, I am 37, married, we have a daughter (see picture) who is four and a half months old. I've always loved film noir and the photographs, music, and novels from the 1910s through 1950s, especially the 20s through 40s. Stuff like Louis-Ferdinand Celine really blew me away. And I love the manners and language of the time, as well. In the 1990s I was a marginal hanger-on in the San Francisco vintage scene, hanging out at Club Deluxe but not enough to become a fixture and seeing bands like LaVey Smith and the Red Hot Skillet Lickers. Before that I was a punk rocker in Los Angeles. I was always turned on by vintage style but gradually over the past few years I have started becoming more consistent about wearing it. I guess the older I get the more I see its quality! I love this site because style, not politics, is the common element. My father was born in 1921 and wore wing tips and a suit and tie every single day until he retired and he remembers all of this stuff and is in fact a living time machine to that era. My wife and I live in Berkeley and we are grad students at the university, my wife in Social Welfare and myself in ancient history. We like meeting new people, so if you are in the area, drop me a private message.

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
Hello, new girl here.

I've always like the 40s-50s eras. As a kid I really really wanted saddle shoes, but I've always been more of a tomboy. I'm a car girl, I've got two vintage cars, a 52 Pontiac Chieftain, (the one in my avatar) and just got a 60Ford Falcon on the road last week, (my new daily driver).

I'd like to start dressing more "girly" like, being a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl, I'd like to be more feminine. I'm 6'1", so I tend to get a lot of stares, and have always been self-conscience about my height. I think that's why I stick to my boring wall flower look. But damn it, it's time for a change!!:D

Anyway, nice to meet you all. A few of you I recognize from that addicting MySpace. I've been lurking around the last few days waiting for my registration to finalize and really dig what I've seen.

Shearer

Practically Family
Voodoo Kitten said:
Hello, new girl here.

I've always like the 40s-50s eras. As a kid I really really wanted saddle shoes, but I've always been more of a tomboy. I'm a car girl, I've got two vintage cars, a 52 Pontiac Chieftain, (the one in my avatar) and just got a 60Ford Falcon on the road last week, (my new daily driver).

I'd like to start dressing more "girly" like, being a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl, I'd like to be more feminine. I'm 6'1", so I tend to get a lot of stares, and have always been self-conscience about my height. I think that's why I stick to my boring wall flower look. But damn it, it's time for a change!!:D

Anyway, nice to meet you all. A few of you I recognize from that addicting MySpace. I've been lurking around the last few days waiting for my registration to finalize and really dig what I've seen.

Right on, another San Diego gal! May I just say I lurve your cars?

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Well, here goes!

I first found FL and the Powder Room while poking around online on my ever-lasting quest for inexpensive vintage clothing and advice. I just have to thank all of you ladies-- I've learned so much from reading the threads, and can't wait to contribute!

I've always loved vintage style-- I grew up watching old movies and musicals, and developed a love for the clothing, hair, and ways of back then. It never occured to me to actually own and wear such lovely things until a few months ago, when I resolved to start dressing more feminine and start taking care of my body and appearence. I found a few inexpensive dresses (on my newest addiction, eBay!), and thought that there would be no better way to revamp my style than with the clothing I've constantly admired and heard stories about from my grandma ("Back in my day, we dressed, dear... none of these sweats and cutoffs like girls now..." lol). Then I found this lovely group of people here, and knew that vintage could really be done the right way every day.

My collection is still small, as I don't have much extra money to buy vintage clothing and such, but nothing makes me feel more feminine, put-together, and confident as when I dress full-on vintage (which is only once every few days, as of now). I haven't been doing so much during this nasty Chicago cold, but its getting warmer, and I can't wait for the spring weather so I can bring out all my lovely 40's and 50's day dresses on a daily basis.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Hello to you all. I have been hanging around with the girls in the powder room for a while, but i thought I should introduce myself here as well.

I am 26 years old and live in Bergen, Norway, where I am studying interior architecture at master level.

I love the look and the quality of vintage design, but it is also what daily life objects can tell about the time they where made in, that appeals to me. It`s a great way to learn history!

I like to wear vintage for a night out on the town, but when I really get into it is at historical LARPs. (I have to point out, to my knowlegde LARP is very different in Scandinavia than what it often is in USA/UK.) It`s like a time travel!

Well, that was enough about me. I look forward to spend some time here in the lounge!

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Hey Y'all.....I'm Al, and I've peeped in from time to time in the last year or so. I'm a retired Fireman, and spend most of my time out in the yard. I have a great interest in providing housing for migratory birds...mainly swallows(Purple Martins, Chimney Swifts, and Barnies) anyway, although I'm not really into vintage, I think the FL is a cool site..and I just love wearing all my wide brim hats:D

Sorry to be so late

Don't know why I haven't participated on this thread yet.

R.F. "Robin" Matthews. 53 yo MWM
Born in New Mexico, raised in Texas, moved to Pennsylvania 13 years ago.
Surgical Physician Assistant in Cardiothoracic Surgery
Married to a wonderful woman who puts up with my idiosyncracies.
We have an almost 15 year old daughter who thinks she's turning 21.
I have two other daughters from my 1st marriage who are grown and married.
Became a "Pappy" last summer.
Into wearing Open Roads with my Wranglers.
Been walking into a hospital every morning for over 30 years.
Can't wait to retire from medicine and start "workin" the wife's family farm down in Northern Virginia.
Really enjoy meeting all of ya'll

houndstoothhat

New in Town
Hello everyone.

I'm Tom Hall.
Thirty-three years old.
I live in Talladega, Alabama (there's more to it than NASCAR).
I'm married to Jennifer (four and one-half years).
Expecting our first human child, a daughter, in May.
Our other child is a four year old basset hound named Jazzy.
My first fedora was a Champs.
My second was a Resistol.
My next one...not sure...maybe a straw of some type.
I also wear bow ties exclusively..er I mean Beau Ties exclusively. I just noticed that they are now an advertiser of CS magazine... www.beautiesltd.com
Enjoying my time here.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
houndstoothhat said:
Hello everyone.

I'm Tom Hall.
Thirty-three years old.
I live in Talladega, Alabama (there's more to it than NASCAR).
I'm married to Jennifer (four and one-half years).
Expecting our first human child, a daughter, in May.
Our other child is a four year old basset hound named Jazzy.
My first fedora was a Champs.
My second was a Resistol.
My next one...not sure...maybe a straw of some type.
I also wear bow ties exclusively..er I mean Beau Ties exclusively. I just noticed that they are now an advertiser of CS magazine... www.beautiesltd.com
Enjoying my time here.

Congrats on the baby ... that's the greatest thing in the world (see pic to your left)! Did you choose a name yet?

timorous me

Familiar Face
Good evening, ladies!

Brand new to the Lounge, just joined last night, and I'm thrilled to have an outlet for my vintage dress obsession! :)

I'm "twenty-ish," live in Maine, and I prefer what I call an "era-ambiguous" style... meaning that I don't fret over whether my dress is the same era as my shoes, I just wear what looks classy! (I've been known to wear a fifties dress with a forties hat and a sixties scarf and modern running shoes and fishnets... I assure you that it looks better than it sounds, ladies!) I loooove the wartime look, but for me personally it's a little difficult to maintain (and not to mention a bit pricey!) - I have a few choice pieces here and there, but my everyday style tends toward the fifties-early sixties "new look" and OF COURSE, the whole bombshell/pinup/rockabilly culture.

I collect vintage dresses, and I've gotten some of the best ones for nothing! Can't wait to share my collection with you dames! ;-)

houndstoothhat

New in Town
Thanks for asking. Yes, Emily Helen. They are both family names. My wife's great-grandmother was named Emma Kockritz Vogel. Others in the family had already overused the name we we took a variation. Helen Grainger Vogel was her grandmother's name.

Thanks again for asking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner