Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Etienne

A-List Customer
Lizzie, I just adore that pattern! How wonderful! I can just picture it in the fabric you describe. Please post a picture of you in it when it's done!!:)

JustJen

Familiar Face
Thanks!! I did go to the fabric store to get some cheap material (although I quite like it). They didn't give me much information about what I should use to trace the pattern on. So I went and picked up some tracing paper but I'm thinking I might just use some tissue gift wrap paper instead. Seems to be the same consistency as most patterns today.

What do you use?

Jen

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
VANESSA!!

Vanessa, I was wondering what fabrics your sailor pattern recommended? I tried on a pair of vintage WWII navy blues I have and they fit perfectly, now I want to make a pair out of something a little less hot. Wool in Arz just isn't cool.. ba dum DUM!

Thanks!

~Lolita

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Lizzie, This is the stage my clothes usually end up! Just sitting in their cut out peices waiting for a little needle and thread! Hah!

LizzieMaine said:
This is the one I'm working on this weekend -- got it cut out and waiting to be assembled.

Lizzie from Maine

decodoll

Practically Family
I use a big roll of architects tracing paper to draft my patterns on. I haven't actually traced anything for years, but at the time I used patternmaking paper with the letter and number grid printed on it. Tracing paper should work just fine. :)

Tin Pan Sally

What I usually do to make a pattern from an existing garment, is to make rubbings (all you need is a lead pencil and a big roll of "tracing" paper). That way you'll be able to see how it all fits together when you start drafting and add seam allowances, etc. I wouldn't suggest doing anything that might harm the fabric.
The great thing about creating a pattern from a vintage item is that you can add modern improvements like sealing the seams with a serger to avoid fray.

JustJen

Familiar Face
Tin Pan Sally said:
The great thing about creating a pattern from a vintage item is that you can add modern improvements like sealing the seams with a serger to avoid fray.

Funny you should mention a serger......I have my mom's Husqvarna that she says she hasn't touched in 4 years. I just quite haven't gotten around to re-threading it to get it to work. If I can't, I'll just have to take to get serviced......for a nice hefty fee.....lol.

Kathleen Klein

New in Town
muslin patterns

Wash the muslin in hot water and steam iron it.
it will shrink and then you won't have to worry
about it shrinking again. You can make a pattern
that perfectly fits you from the muslin.

JustJen

Familiar Face
It's a Viking HuskyLock model 700. I've rethreaded over and over again and the dang the lower looper thread keeps breaking!! Oh well, I should just pack it up and take it over to them. I guess my sewing will have to wait.

I shouldn't complain though....I didn't pay for it originally....lol.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I really hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question...a friend of mine says that she'll make a vintage outfit...or two for me...do I need to look around vintage stores for old pattern or can I via internet find some great patterns?

Vanessa

One Too Many
Unless you're up for treasure hunting at flea markets & resale stores - go pattern shopping the easy way - internet!

There are a ton of pattern sites besides ebay and also several 'lending libraries' where you can get a copy of a pattern.

Tin Pan Sally

JustJen:
I didn't pay for mine either. A friend inherited one of the original sergers, but she doesn't sew. Lucky me! I love the sturdy old machines but good luck replacing parts on those babies.
MysteryGal:
Just get a sloper and make your own patterns from scratch. Then you can design whatever you want to fit you exactly.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Jitterbugdoll...I LOVE the evadress website...beautiful clothes, there's a few there that won me over :D
Tin Pan Sally..making designs from scratch sounds a little scary right now...I think especially since I have no idea how to sew and I'm very new to all this

Caledonia

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner