Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Aero Leathers

Edward

Bartender
I took the bus from Edinburgh when we went, though I read a while back on Aero's facebook page that the railway line between Edinburgh and Gala has been reopened, which will be a nice run.

To be fair fellas, I and one other owner of Shinki-clad jackets have had shrinkage. I'm not equating this to the buffoon's story, just saying that of all the jackets I've owned and got wet either from a HWT or just rain, it did lose some length in the torso. I'm guessing .5"+
That said, the Shinki once broken in is insanely delicious. And I reckon based on the pics/stories here that the Vincenza is likewise stunning.

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
To be fair fellas, I and one other owner of Shinki-clad jackets have had shrinkage. I'm not equating this to the buffoon's story, just saying that of all the jackets I've owned and got wet either from a HWT or just rain, it did lose some length in the torso. I'm guessing .5"+
That said, the Shinki once broken in is insanely delicious. And I reckon based on the pics/stories here that the Vincenza is likewise stunning.

Speaking of which, Butte, I think it might be high time for a few update pics of that beautiful Ventura of yours. In a different thread, of course.

Ditto.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I've probably bought around 15 Aeros and finally visited – I realise in retrospect – just when the Lauder affair was coming to an explosive head. Will showed me around, or rather didn't, his manner, I found to my surprise, tense and impatient. I remember a fairly strong feeling of let-down afterwards, after spending money on train and accommodation to get up there from London, when I'd been led to believe from accounts on here and elsewhere that Aero gave you a friendly and helpful reception. Even the usually very helpful Amanda was pretty short.

I'm not usually the type for such pilgrimages but I'd become frustrated by a few poor-fitting Aeros and wanted to nail an A-2, this time, perfectly. I thought I might get doting tailor-like attention, but the fitting session with Will was instead rushed and production-line like. Still, it's impressive in a way that he was able to serve me at all; I know now that he must have been close to soiling himself over the unfolding scandal.

Galashiels, sad to say, also seemed to embody the ubiquitous clapped out British town, with half the shops boarded up save for the odd tanning salon doing a decent trade, judging by the number of orange well-fed ladies on the high street. And seemingly everyone who wasn't on the high street was crammed into the pub, where a (very friendly) bloke with a tracheotomy gave me directions to Aero.

A shame that my visit was, I imagine, about as ill-timed as it's possible to be. Conceivably I might go there again but Japan is higher up on my list of leather visits.

And I don't think I still have that A-2.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I suspect if you were to return for another Aero visit, you would find night and day difference between then and now.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
That's what happens when big supermarkets move into town Sir Jacket. They suck the life out of local retailers. One off shops can't competed with the buying power of the likes of Tescos. It's a story I'm sure you've heard before. It's is a beautiful area tho and Gala is still worth visiting I think although it's is a little jaded.

Garry

Ps nothing wrong with a busy pub.!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sadly, the Tesco that has landed spider-like on Gala has had the inevitable effect. That said, the re-opening of the railway line can only be a good thing. Some 500,000 people have used it since last year, and that's got to see money coming into the town: tourists tend to look for the path of least resistance when visiting a place, so if they can just jump on a train for a picturesque trip, they'll take it over a long, winding bus trip. By the same measure, I imagine Aero will see more people coming through their doors - though people will invariably walk past the front door twice before noticing it.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have a photo of the Aero Leathers factory/storefront? It might make the place easier to locate rather than breaking out the ol' staff of Ra and going the Indy route. :p
image.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have a photo of the Aero Leathers factory/storefront? It might make the place easier to locate rather than breaking out the ol' staff of Ra and going the Indy route. :p View attachment 47055

If you check out on google maps you can see the street view.
I did that before leaving and recognized the corner where it is before i even saw the name on the door.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Oh, yes, I didn't mention the Tesco. Like an alien mothership indeed. An excrescence. I can believe Gala might once have been attractive but does look rather sad now.

They should put pilgrimage way marks on the route to Aero. And maybe you should get a badge or patch (on your jacket) when you've been. Or maybe some kind of blessing from Ken.

I think when we were there, after I got the jacket we went to Kelso where it was about 25ºf and indy as hell. My jacket felt like it was made of mild steel as it was new. The town was really a neat little place with some old relics and pubs, etc. I felt like I was the king with that new jacket on - all 15 pounds of it. It felt like 15 anyway...
But the place itself - Aero - is sorta like going into a mix between a speakeasy and a machine shop. While easy to pass by on the road, it is awesome inside.

wdw

One Too Many
I drove through Galashiels twice today and I'm sorry to say it always reminds me of something out of the eastern bloc due to the spread of identical cube-like houses on the outskirts. And the massive Asda and Tesco stores don't help either.

I much prefer nearby Melrose, but as it's my ancestral home I'm kinda biased. Sadly, that's suffering from low-cost expansion too now.

Having said all that, a visit to Aero is well worth any effort, especially if it means being getting the fit bang on. Definitely the Mecca of leather jackets.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think a visit to the Aero factory and a visit to the town of Galashiels are two separate things, the former now very worthwhile whereas the latter not. The point I was trying to make with my earlier post was IMO if SJ were to schedule a new visit to the Aero factory, I feel certain he would not be disappointed as he was when his tour guides were Will and Amanda, both gone now for several years. I suspect the train ride from Edinburgh to Galashiels would be very picturesque through what I think is called the Scottish Borders.

wdw

One Too Many
Agreed, @Fanch. I doubt if anyone would go out of their way to visit Galashiels, whereas it's absolutely 100% worth going out of your way to visit Aero. And it being only 1 hour from Edinburgh means that it's easy to combine that with a visit to the city. Win-win.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Agree a train there could add to the glamour. Although I've just bought secondhand and had Aero-adjusted one of their rare, suede 50s trucker jackets, I do feel an urge for an A-1 in russet Vicenza with olive knits.

Still, it's a bit like a junky visiting Amsterdam or something, an Aero visit.

The ELC hipster jackets (or whatever that line is called) are pretty damn nice, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails