Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which one is the best A-2 repro manufacturer? Eastman, Buzz Rickson, Aero Leather, Re

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
Again, thank you all for sharing your opinions and experiences :) this is very helpful to me.... by the way does anyone know more about the quality and accuracy in details from Bill Kelso MFG.Co. A-2 jackets?

Again, thank you all for sharing your opinions and experiences :) this is very helpful to me.... by the way does anyone know more about the quality and accuracy in details from Bill Kelso MFG.Co. A-2 jackets?

All that have them that have posted like them. To be honest, you should worry more about saving the funds before worrying about whos's best. Research is good, but I think you're putting the cart before the horse.
These jackets are all excellent. I'd be happy with any of them myself, and I'm picky as hell. Even lesser makers have some good jackets.

Schott
USWings
Alpha
USWings

Keep looking on eBay. Tons of jackets there.

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Patience!!??

ButteM621: Having read your thread, it seems you are quite interested/ concerned about authenticity & quality. As some other forum members have mentioned, there is a tendency to be initially pleased with the A-2 you have researched and paid for... only to start to wonder if you really should have gone for the "better" jacket eg horsehide as opposed to steerhide, or russet as opposed to seal etc...

I for one have been through a few A-2's of various quality/ authenticity... I most recently won an ebay ELC "house" A-2 (yup thats steehide not horsehide :-/), which is actually the best I've ever owned....

My point is simply if you have the patience and hopefully consequently the chance to increase your budget, it is probably worth researching until you know exactly what would please you the most & then making a purchase. I think I would have saved some money & the hassle of selling on or hoarding less than satisfactory jackets. Patience & research are *probably* the best approach.

Good luck with the search.

Wrong guy, but I agree with what you said :)

ButteM621: Having read your thread, it seems you are quite interested/ concerned about authenticity & quality. As some other forum members have mentioned, there is a tendency to be initially pleased with the A-2 you have researched and paid for... only to start to wonder if you really should have gone for the "better" jacket eg horsehide as opposed to steerhide, or russet as opposed to seal etc...

I for one have been through a few A-2's of various quality/ authenticity... I most recently won an ebay ELC "house" A-2 (yup thats steehide not horsehide :-/), which is actually the best I've ever owned....

My point is simply if you have the patience and hopefully consequently the chance to increase your budget, it is probably worth researching until you know exactly what would please you the most & then making a purchase. I think I would have saved some money & the hassle of selling on or hoarding less than satisfactory jackets. Patience & research are *probably* the best approach.

Good luck with the search.

I think it's normal to start out on the cheaper side and experiment. I know when I started with jackets, I thought "these guys are ouf of their frikkin' minds spending $800-$1500 for a jacket." Now of course I'm deep into addiction and broke :)

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
Thanks both of you BlutteMT61 and Nowornever for your advices.... yes I think patience is very important and I'm doing the due research, so I hope to show you my A-2 repro soon!!!

Edward

Bartender
Goodwear also works off customer measurements...though he does have a set range of sizes ....generally sizes 36-48 I believe.

Why don't the others?
I suspect it takes a fair amount of effort/resources to offer custom fit jackets, and the other companies business models aren't designed to offer that.
Put it another way...these other companies find they are making a satisfactory profit with their "off the rack" sizes, and see no reason to get into the headaches that come with "custom fit" designs.

Aero's business is based on custom jackets, whereas ELC and others produce stock jackets. Different folks want different things, of course, but I do believe when it comes to military jackets there is an argument to be advanced in favour of standardised sizes if what you want is historical aacuracy as opposed to the mythical "perfect A2 fit".

Edward

Bartender
Yep, 48. I'm a 50/52 long.

As far as I am aware, the real limiting factor with the larger sizes is the availabilty of hides big enough from which to cut a one-piece A2 back. Of course, they could just alter the design to a two-piece, but in a niche market where perceived historical accuracy is as important to the majority of buyers as this I can well understand why they would shy away from risking developing a reputation for making that sort of compromise to the original design.

As far as I am aware, the real limiting factor with the larger sizes is the availabilty of hides big enough from which to cut a one-piece A2 back. Of course, they could just alter the design to a two-piece, but in a niche market where perceived historical accuracy is as important to the majority of buyers as this I can well understand why they would shy away from risking developing a reputation for making that sort of compromise to the original design.

I wouldn't want a two-piece back. I just don't get why Aero can do it and others can't? Or won't I guess...

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I prefer to "Buzz Rickson's" and "The Few", both made by Jap

I think "The Few Mfg." is in New Zealand. The old Real McCoy's in the 90s' were made in the same factory as The Few's factory in NZ.
I think it was because the owners parted their ways and that is why you still the "The Few" these days. They are top quality jackets.
I don't know about Buzz Ricksons though, I would think that they are very close to the Eastman anyway, since ELC is the sole agent
of BR in Europe.

Honestly, if I am paying that amount of money, I would always go for Goodwear.

zaman fu

Familiar Face
i would figure out what you want, a handsome, high quality jacket that fits properly and looks like an A2 or a jacket that mimics a WWII era A2 down to the last stitch. if it's the latter, go with goodwear but be prepared to wait.

CBI

One Too Many
Good Wear hands down, even if you are not an authenticity nut, the period cut/drape that John strives for just looks so much better than a more modern cut A-2 inspired jacket or other high end "pretty closes"

Peacoat

Bartender
i would figure out what you want, a handsome, high quality jacket that fits properly and looks like an A2 or a jacket that mimics a WWII era A2 down to the last stitch. if it's the latter, go with goodwear but be prepared to wait.

The wait will be for a mighty long time as John suspended new orders sometime back. He is still not taking on new work until he gets caught up on the backlog.

CBI

One Too Many
John's got some catching to do but new orders won't be terribly far away (at least to get in the cue)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy