Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a-2 jacket for work

tmal

One of the Regulars
First time poster here. I hope I do not get run out of here for asking such a question, but here goes. I want an a-2 type jacket for work. I do not need or want nor can I afford a nearly perfect replica. I have looked at the US Wings $195 models, and similar from Knox, Landing Leathers (maker unknown), and Sportsmens Den (maker unknown). Does anyone on here have any knowledge of these inexpensive a-2's? Reviews from Google are all over the place and, um, sometimes incoherent. Work will be daily wear, outside, but not in rain, around machinery sometimes. Not horrible but I would not want to subject a first class jacket to it. Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Your question would be a good one even if you had 1000 posts. Your biggest problem will be trying to determine correct sizing. One option would be a search engine on Ebay for a Gibson and Barnes A-2, keeping in mind that a G&B A-2 will run at least one size bigger than your suit size. G&B jackets are exceptionally well made and can sometimes be picked up for a song on the used jacket market. Good luck with your search.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Take a look at Aerial Star. They're a new company specializing in A-2's and seem to be doing very nice work. I think they go for about $500.00. A couple of the members have posted threads here. Good luck.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
For what you want, a US Wings $195.00 A2 would be fine...especially since there is a January sale of additional 20% off. Would be good to call them to get the fit right.

Fanch beat me to it.
The main issue for many when it comes to A2's is fit.
A2's tend towards a slim fit. Unless you are one of those lucky folks for whom an off the rack A2 fits just right, many consider them uncomfortable across the back/chest/shoulders/arm pits.
The seemingly never ending search for a comfortable fit A2 is almost a running joke on forums like this.
This problem can be solved by going the custom made A2 route...but now you are talking an expensive jacket, and even then, unless the maker takes your measurements directly, disappointing fit is a possibility. (Less so with a very experienced maker..but not always.)
Of the makers you've mentioned, I have personal experience only with US Wings...however, not one of their A2's.
I liked the jacket I purchased from them, thought the leather was nice.
Fit was OK....fuller than I wanted at the waist, but I could live with it.
Had a seam across the back the rubbed the back of my shoulder. Knew that it would really bug me if I wore it for anything length of time.
Returned the jacket.

If unable to try on the jacket/s before purchase, I'd recommend making sure of a jacket makers return policy.
I thought US Wings offered a decent jacket for a great price, and had a good return policy. I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
If you live near a big City, chances are you might be able to source one Locally, I think you might have to find the Trendy downtown Area full of vintage clothes shops, You might have to dig, but on a long enough timeline theres usually a place that will have a couple racks of vintage biker Jackets, if you arent too choosy you might be able to find an already worn-in A-2 Jacket for a more than reasonable bargain. This may take some rummaging around and networking word of mouth. but It has always paid off for me when sourcing a used vintage flight jacket, also that way if its already a little Rough around the edges and worn you dont have to feel bad about working in a shop with it...Half the fun besides wearing one is restoring and fixing these Jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21