Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A bit strange Military Medals

JDC

New in Town
Years ago the VA sent a memo out for veterans to wear their medals on big holidays. I always thought this looked too "European". Don't get me wrong, I loved living in Italy but this just always seemed odd. Now with the Royal wedding stuff and seeing this, I thought people could give their opinions on this. Discuss.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
It may seem "European," but it's been common practice for some years in the U.S.; American Legion and VFW members often wear their medals on their garrison caps. The main difference, from my observation over the years, is that Yank veterans tend to wear "miniature" medals instead of the full-size ones. To the Canadians of the Lounge, what is the accepted practice in your country?

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I noticed in a thread of the royal wedding, there was a picture of David Beckham wearing his OBE on the wrong side of his shirt. I Googled the issue and I'm not the only one who noticed it

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My old man is a WW2 vet and none of the guys in town EVER wore their medals. Dad's reason is that the neighbor has both the Silver star and the Purple Heart (2 and 1, or 1 and 2), and Dad only has the good conduct, Pacific Theater medal and the Victory medal. I get the impression that he believes that all he had to do to get his medals was to show up. The neighbor doesn't wear the Silver star and Purple heart either, they were on a float together on the 4th last year. Probably won't be on it this year, the younger guys left them on the float and went to the beer tent last year, they may be old, but they learn quick.

later

Edward

Bartender
If someone has earned his medals, he can where them whenever he wants, far as I'm concerned. I don't much have an opinion beyond that. [huh]

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Probably won't be on it this year, the younger guys left them on the float and went to the beer tent last year, they may be old, but they learn quick.

Too bad I’m not closer, I’d not only get them off the float and take them to the beer tent, I’d buy them each a couple beers.

My dad and grandfather were both proud USAAF/USAF veterans, but neither belonged to a veteran’s group or wore decorations. I always had a feeling that it was because they both believed it was the fellows who had served more in harms way who deserved the glory.

-Dave

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HI David

My Dad was the Presidential Stuckee for a few years in Kiwanis, i.e. he got stuck doing EVERYTHING, so he quit. Never joined American Legion until about 5 years ago (at about 87) because the President said that he wouldn't have to go to meetings, or be an officer.

later

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I will sometimes wear my USAF Retired lapel pin when wearing a suit or sport coat as it is small and discrete. Never thought about wearing my medals. I get a little embarrassed when people thank me for serving my country when I mention having been in the Air Force. Sometimes it feels like they think they're obligated to do so. but I will admit it's a nice change from having obscenities yelled at me from passing cars when in uniform back in 1980. From my point of view, I'm grateful I was allowed the honor of serving my country, especially after narrowly escaping having my records sent before medical boards for retirement consideration twice.

JDC, I never did get that memo about wearing medals from the VA. Now that I give it a little thought, I think I might know some of the reasoning behind it. Since we no longer have the draft and we've had that massive drawdown in the '90s fewer and fewer people actually know or are related to anyone who has served or is serving. Having veterans wear their medals is a way of showing the public just how many of us there are, and helps put a human face to the term "veteran." That in turn may help when people are considering making donations to veteran support groups, or to let their elected officials know that they think we should take care of our veterans even during times of cutbacks. Just a guess, though.

Oh, and welcome to the Lounge!

Cheers,
Tom

PS Is this a bit better, Michaelshane? I generally go for the larger font, but missed it this time and hit the 3 instead of the 4.

Last edited:

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I will sometimes wear my USAF Retired lapel pin when wearing a suit or sport coat as it is small and discrete. Never thought about wearing my medals. I get a little embarrassed when people thank me for serving my country when I mention having been in the Air Force. Sometimes it feels like they think they're obligated to do so. but I will admit it's a nice change from having obscenities yelled at me from passing cars when in uniform back in 1980. From my point of view, I'm grateful I was allowed the honor of serving my country, especially after narrowly escaping having my records sent before medical boards for retirement consideration twice.

JDC, I never did get that memo about wearing medals from the VA. Now that I give it a little thought, I think I might know some of the reasoning behind it. Since we no longer have the draft and we've had that massive drawdown in the '90s fewer and fewer people actually know or are related to anyone who has served or is serving. Having veterans wear their medals is a way of showing the public just how many of us there are, and helps put a human face to the term "veteran." That in turn may help when people are considering making donations to veteran support groups, or to let their elected officials know that they think we should take care of our veterans even during times of cutbacks. Just a guess, though.

Cheers,
Tom

It's very difficult for an old veteran like me to read this....
Too small,too green.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
It may seem "European," but it's been common practice for some years in the U.S.; American Legion and VFW members often wear their medals on their garrison caps. The main difference, from my observation over the years, is that Yank veterans tend to wear "miniature" medals instead of the full-size ones. To the Canadians of the Lounge, what is the accepted practice in your country?

Miniatures are worn by tradition only after 6 pm (evening wear) on mess kit or civilian equivalent (Legion blues and greys for example). Our military judges wear their miniatures on their gowns during courts martial, though there is no regulatory basis for this. Full medals are worn on uniform tunic or formal civilian jacket during prescribed functions, parades, or events, military or civilian. Otherwise, dress ribbons are worn on tunics or short-sleeved shirts (uniform), never on long sleeved.

All military medals are worn by the recipient on the LEFT. Relatives or others are prohibited by the Canadian Criminal Code from wearing military medals or other decorations awarded to others.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I can't remember ever seeing my grandpa wearing his decoration in ribbon, medal, or miniature form, even on his VFW cap. He did have a Air Force blazer, similar to regimental jackets British veterans wear (with the embroidered crest on the breast) which he'd always wear on Veteran's Day, etc.

lupo

New in Town
I belong (or used to anyway) to an old Scottish-American men's club. The old vets will often wear their decorations with eveningwear at special events. I always thought it was epic and amazing, seeing these guys with kilts, bearskin and with their medals on while the bagpipes wail.

filfoster

One Too Many
If someone has earned his medals, he can where them whenever he wants, far as I'm concerned. I don't much have an opinion beyond that. [huh]

I agree but it is a bit discomforting to see members of some Societies (I am an SAR member) kitted out in a n heroic splash of medals, mostly purchased and representing the good fortune of birth or non-regulation 'commemorative' medals not authorized by the DOD. That said, any DOD authorized medal, especially a valor decoration can be worn 24/7 on anything that's not blasphemous, as far as I am concerned.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

Cheers,
Tom

PS Is this a bit better, Michaelshane? I generally go for the larger font, but missed it this time and hit the 3 instead of the 4.

Your observations arer very much in line with what has happened Down Under, culturally, since the Vietnam experience and now with our mutual involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Anzac Day has a renewed fervour and lot of grandchildren now march in the "lost" units to make up for the missing grandads etc. They display the medals on the left side and often hold iconic pictures of the relative in front of them.

The wearing of medals (military) is not, however, the custom outside formal medal wearing days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw