Aero 1401P A-2- repairing a bad finish

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by fishmeok, Jul 20, 2007.

1. fishmeok

fishmeok Vendor

I bought the A-2 off e-bay with some unmentionable nose art painted on that I immediately removed with windex per Jerome's (on the VLJ) advice. This removed the objectionable but left a large area of removed finish. I also ran the jacket through the wash and wore it until dry to help remove some serious smokers odor (worked very well, I can wear it without my eyes watering). Again following Jerome's advice I bought some Createx acrylic airbrush paint (transparent brown, green, and red) and attempted to blend the really bad areas in with the rest of the jacket. I was originally going to use my airbrush but decided to try the sponge method instead (or in my case, old sock)- wiping the area down with thinned paint, adding several layers until I reach the desired effect. I mixed and thinned the paint and applied the layers, tweaking the color as the jacket dried after each layer. I stopped after about 5 wipedowns to let the jacket thoroughly dry overnight. According to the manufacturer Createx sets best with heat, so the jacket has been out drying in the 90 degree sun for a few hours now.

I'm pretty happy with the results, I had originally thought I would have to add more layers tomorrow but I think I will stop while I'm ahead.

Cheers
    Mark

Before re-blending;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Initially, I thought "this jacket has been way to messed with." But it looks like you matched it up well, returning it to the way it left the sewing tables. Nice work.

3. Riley Dee

Riley Dee One of the Regulars

Wow!

Job well done!:eusa_clap

4. DiabolicalAngel

DiabolicalAngel One of the Regulars

Great job, you would never have noticed that pretty lady (thing) was once on there ! :eusa_clap

5. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Excellent outcome!

That took balls!! and it paid off. Well done. Now we all know, 'it can be done!'

6. fishmeok

fishmeok Vendor

Thanks guys- once again I couldn't have done it without Jerome's advice- check out his site:

http://www.picturetrail.com/jrome

Odd thing about the color, when I'm in sunlight it looks good, but under flourescent lighting it's ALMOST too red- tough to get it just right.
    Cheers
    Mark