Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather...is a 10 month wait excessive ?

ukali1066

Practically Family
Hi all, wanted your opinions...I sent a vintage cycle jacket to them in January for a full interior relining and zip realignment....have called them only twice in that period to enquire....was told both times that Will would ring me to discuss the job....he never did....just sent an email to Amanda this evening to enquire again....I was told when I sent it I might have to wait about 3 months...no problem

....but 10....

the weather has come full circle and it's cold enough to want to wear it again !

Papa M

A-List Customer
You must be very disappointed and probably anxious. It's not as if you are on the other side of the planet from the Aero factory - you're 100 miles down the road.
All you can do is politely express your concern in an e-mail, detailing the two failed attempts to chase up the delivery.
Good luck - I feel that cold Easterly breeze from the North Sea picking up!

John Lever

One Too Many
I know from experience how disheartening it is to wait so long for something. Because Aero are so accommodating on repairs and custom work it makes them very busy as they never say no to a request.
Why not contact them again today before 12 when they close, to get a delivery date that they can stick too ?
I too have waited months for a job.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Actually they do say no. They told me, twice, that they were too busy to fix the zip on my Irvin.

Hey, before you send the boys round, I'm not "dissing" the untouchables, I'm a fan myself for heaven's sake and I know how you people at the Fedaero Lounge feel about this company but... they turned down my request (twice) and the zip remains unzippable!

Gotta go, there's someone at the door, what? Oh please no, look I..I.. I was wrong.. it must have been Eastman, please don't, no, please.............

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Well, yes, 10 months is far too long.

They've overshot by 7 months, they're not doing right by you.

I'm not defending poor customer service. But it's a two-way street. You need to let them know what you want and when you want it.

Numerous times I've had to chase mail order firms for one thing or another. After the first let down, the way to go is (1) in writing; and then, (2) if no satisfactory written reply, demand that the item (your property) is returned either as sent or fully repaired within x days.

Hopefully, by now you've told them what you reasonably expect them to do.

Ditdah, come now. You can't bear a grudge against Aero for simply dealing honestly with you. Unless you're kidding...

Edited: I missed the vital bit of the OP due to short attention span.

Flying Mariner

Familiar Face
Hi......
That's why to long a wait.
We all love Aero, but to have to wait that long for a repair is crazy.
I suppose your hands are tied somewhat with it needing a repair anyway.
I recently put in a order for A Aero A2 and was quoted 8-10 weeks.
I will wait a bit longer than that but 10 months, no way!
Cheers,
Wayne.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I've waited longer than this (over a year) for Aero to do repairs when they were smaller and going through a busy spell.

It did occur to me at the time that I could have done it myself, but they did warn me that there would be a wait (did they day this to you?) and when I got the piece back it was well worth it.

I counsel patience.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
As you're in the UK, surely a 'phone call would sort everything out quickly ?

Will's a good guy and I'm sure that they would be mortified if they were aware of your wait. Maybe you have slipped through the net but I'll bet good money they'll pull out the stops to sort it out FAST.

Dave

tonypaj

Practically Family
I think Dave's got it right, I've found Aero very easy to deal with, by e-mail or by phone. Personal approach, acting politely and explaining your issues clearly usually goes a long way...

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Ditdah, come now. You can't bear a grudge against Aero for simply dealing honestly with you. Unless you're kidding...

No grudge whatsoever, just fooling around, with a spinkling of the pedantic. In fact the reason the zipper is still busted is that I'd rather wait and have them do it, I think.

:eek:fftopic: I'm only replying in order to nose ahead of Dudleydoright as we seem to be on the same number of posts! Come on Dudders old boy, I'll race you to 110!!

1stsargent

New in Town
In early august I enquired about a complete a-2 re-stitching and they told me it "may not be ready till dec". I decided to hold off due to financial, but it seems that they have one heck of a back log. But 10 months is way to long and i think they should compensate you some how, especially if they quoted you a much shorter time.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
A Challenge ??

:)
OK Dit-Dah Old Boy, a race it is then :D

From a strictly commercial point-of-view, I would say that Aero and Eastman probably have a team making jackets and one poor soul doing repairs. Repairs to own-made jackets must rank as more of a loss leader to maintain customer relations when compared to making new jackets and, for original or other maker items, you can see why they might be in no rush to push those through. No money in it.

They should be up-front about waiting times to give the owner the option of going elsewhere though.

Will did say that Aero have been on overtime for the last 2 years. A sign of a great maker if ever you needed one. Also a sign of only so much time to do what needs to be done and repairs are the thing that falls off the back.

Cheers All,
Dave

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I was going to point out that it depends on the jacket. In my mind, the greater the rarity of the jacket, its age and the potential improvement, the longer I would be prepared to wait.

For this jacket, I'd wait two years to have it repaired...

Papa M

A-List Customer
feltfan said:
Did I miss something? Why aren't you calling them on the
telephone every day?

Yes, it sounds like you need to be a little more firm with them.

Many of us are fans of Aero and their business direction but if a customer is being given the runaround then it is justified to become a little more vociferous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy