Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Rollneck RAF sweater

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Due to lack of availability of these from Eastman for nearly a year and because the Aero version has odd ribbing below the collar I succumbed to buying Silvermans version and thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

I ordered the size three which is tagged 44-46. I am 6ft and 220lb and this is a snug fit - particularly in the armhole area. The collar is nice and tight and the sleeves, which have long welts, are a good length. The wool is reasonably soft and not scratchy. There are triangular cotton reinforcing patches where the shoulder seam meets the collar. The length is, well, long - at full extent it completely covers my posterior - so you have to adjust for an acceptable position of the hem welt.

The knit is the only thing I might have an issue with - you can't exactly shoot peas through it but its certainly not as close as my Barbour fisherman's sweater, but thats a different knit. There is a slight shadow effect if you wear a dark shirt under it. I guess I would wear a long sleeved white T shirt under it with maybe a thermal vest if I was outside on a particularly cold day. Looking at the old Eastman advert I'd think the needle size used was the same in both garments and there is some advantage to not having too thick a knit.

Verdict: For the money (49.99GBP plus 5.00GBP delivery) - not bad, particularly when you consider Nauticalia are selling something similar for 99GBP. Whether these are current Navy issue as Silvermans claim I know not. Whether they are anywhere near historically accurate, I also know not, but they are at least available and I can't fault Silvermans service - arrived the day after ordering.

Apologies for the quality of these, but they might give a flavour. The jacket is an Aero Cossack in seal buffalo:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/Hornet35/Jumper1.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/Hornet35/Jumper2.jpg

Rgds,

H35

I have a Silverman's, very happy with it, though I do agree with what you say about the knit, I tend to wear something light coloured underneath it. In very cold weather I sometimes wear the Rollneck underneath a Long sleeved wool Cricket Sweater, may be a but bulky, but nice and warm.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Here is a picture of my new Ace Cafe sweater - don't know if its more or less "original" - bottom line is, it's a damn nice sweater.:D
I have more or less lived in it since I got it.

AEROacesweater003.jpg

That is a great looking sweater you have there from ACE, Mr Spitfire sir. Rgds

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I like my Silverman’s Sweater. I like the fact it’s not to bulky and works well when riding a motorbike.

I too found it just a little snug and could easily go up a size. Something to think about if anyone is thinking of one of these.

I was at the Ace café on Sunday and theirs looks heavier than the Silverman’s.

James

Good afternoon, As I have one of these white rollnecks, I have asked ACE if they do it in Dark Navy Blue, they are going to let me know.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
If anyone is intereseted, grandprixlegends.com also have these roll necks in Navy Blue. Rgds.

The Navy Blue Wool Sub Roll Neck I recently ordered from grandprixlegends.com arrived and is a superb pullover, fits well and warm, they are another good firm to deal with. Rgds.

Dodo

Familiar Face
glad you like your new sub pullover could you post pix of you wearing it, i'm looking for a quite slim fit submariner and i can't make my mind 'cause there are so few pix of this nice item weared. thanks

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
glad you like your new sub pullover could you post pix of you wearing it, i'm looking for a quite slim fit submariner and i can't make my mind 'cause there are so few pix of this nice item weared. thanks

I Am sorry, but I don't have any way of taking a digital photograph and putting up on the website. But if you look at
www.grandprixlegends.com they have pictures of the white and blue sweaters which should give you an idea. Kind Rgds.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Indeed it looks a nice rollneck but i'm afraid of the lanolin treatment of NSC, some1 reported about a strong smell of sheep (no kidding!!) so there is the chance you can't wear it when you have a date with your dream's woman!!

I didn't know that, but I always seem to strike out when wearing mine...so maybe there is something to it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner