Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New "inexpensive" A2 aero/billkelso or other sugestions ?

blethook

One of the Regulars
JulianPascal said:
In that case i could be the jacket for me to go for ,the only way to would be to try it.

But i,m not sure ,because on their side there are no returning polices listed.
Does Aero redfund their not-custom-sized jackets ,in a definite period ?

From my own experience:

I would start with contacting Aero (Amanda/Will) & supply them with your body measurements (chest, actual waist, etc.) They should then be able to advise what size of A-2 to go with. Tell them whether you want a trim fit, or whether you'd be wearing layers underneath the jacket, extra length, etc. If you have a jacket that fits you well, provide them with the measurements. Make an agreement with them about T&Cs for returning the jacket at the time of order, if needed. Generally speaking they're quite generous about returns, but you being in Germany will still have to post the jacket back all the way to the UK if the fit isn't right. So try to make sure the measurements are fine before placing the order.

When the jacket arrives, take the actual measurements and compare them with what you supply them at the time of order. Try it on to make sure the fit is OK. Typically you'll find the new jacket to be stiff/restricting movement, sleeves too long, etc. because the hide still needs breaking in. If the jacket measurements match what you provide, generally you should be OK. Otherwise contact Aero to express your concerns.

Good luck!

JulianPascal

New in Town
Thanks,
I think i will go for a USAAF Type A-2 in Natural Vintage Horsehide ,i've seen some pictures at the lounge ,i like the cutt of the jacket and and the surface of it.

There should soon arrive some samples of the leather...

Stuffed with oils and waxes sounds water resistant, does anybody have some expierience of the water resistance of natural vintage HH/oil pull HH ?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

"natural vintage" simply is Aero's oil-pull horsehide. It's a nice type of leather but you got to be aware of the fact that its surface will pick up scuffs and traces of raindrops very easily. Original A2s were never made in that type of leather, and they all had a spray finish. Also bear in mind that the leather has a strong tendency to suede rather quickly as the surface finish only consists of a thin coat of wax.

Here's a pic of me with an Aero A1 which was intended as a birthday present for my father (it's a little short, I know.)

3028923287_e18e94c453.jpg

Close ups:

3026543285_02ef85e414.jpg

3027367990_2d1ca0424a.jpg

Here is Diego's oil-pull A2:

DjGo01.jpg

a2-1.jpg

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
JulianPascal said:
Thanks,
I think i will go for a USAAF Type A-2 in Natural Vintage Horsehide ,i've seen some pictures at the lounge ,i like the cutt of the jacket and and the surface of it.

There should soon arrive some samples of the leather...

Stuffed with oils and waxes sounds water resistant, does anybody have some expierience of the water resistance of natural vintage HH/oil pull HH ?

JanSolo is right about the 'vintage HH'(oil pull).. if you're the type that cannot stand a scuff on your leather jacket, you probably have to look for another hide.. I am very, very happy with mine! It's ageing beautifully and pretty fast also, others here on the lounge are using all kinds of techniques to give their HH-jackets a worn/broken-in look, that's just not nessecary with the Aero Oilpull HH.. just wear it and in a month or two/three it has allready a worn look.. Mine, after one and a half year looks 'vintage'.. Oh, and at first I was worried about water-resistance.. no need. You can walk all day in the rain, and don't get wet. The leather softens up in a natural way, so the creasing-proces speeds up a bit also.

Diego

JulianPascal

New in Town
Thanks.
I made the decission ,I'am going for the USAAF Type A-2 in Natural Vintage Horsehide.
I have already sent the mesurements to Aero i have a 38,75"relaxed and 40" expandet chest so i was advised to get a size 40.
I asked if i want to go for a bit taller fit,weather i should go for the same size.

Amanda gaves me:
A size 38 armpit to armpit is 20.5" and a size 40 is 22.5" i'should check which suit me better ,but i got the problem not to own a Jacket with a similar cut.

Does the armpit of this A-2 usually stay near to the bodys armpit or does it tend to have some space between ?

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi,

It depends on how you want the jacket to fit. Trim, or loose?

Do you plan to wear layers of clothes underneath the jacket, or only T-Shirt and/or shirt?

I have a couple of Aero A-2s size 40, the chest measurement is 22.5"-ish, which confirms the measurement supplied to you by Aero.

FYI, I'm 5'7" (ca. 170cm) with 40" chest normal, 32 waist, 150lbs, and size 40R fits me comfortably. With only T-shirt or both T-shirt & long-sleeve shirt movement won't be restricted. But If I try to wear a sweater underneath, it won't work very well.

Typical measurements for Aero's size 40R (based on my two A-2s):
armpit-to-armpit: 22.5"
Back length (from bottom of collar): 25"
Sleeves: 25"

Note that A-2 is a rather short, boxy jacket, with smaller armholes. The A-2 armpit-to-armpit measurement given above will be close to the body's armpit.

Have you decided which A-2 contract you're going to go for? The Aero Anniversary (42-15142-P) has a (relatively) generous cut & quite comfortable to wear (mine is jerky seal MW HH).

Hope that helps a bit.

B.

Oktobr

New in Town
Hi, this is my first post.

I truly don't mean to hijack this tread, but I'm also interested in buying an A2 that may be a bit on the "inexpensive" side. Unfortunately for me, I tried on a Real McCoy's HH A2 (size 38) in a store called Blue In Green in NYC. Needless to say, I fell in love with it before seeing the price tag. It was $1768 and I honestly couldn't spend a dime over $700 on a jacket, its just not in my budget. :cry: It fit me perfectly. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a similar jacket from a different brand that'd be more in my price range? Also, are there any stores I could go into to browse jackets in or around New Jersey or New York? I've been on Eastman's site and saw they're located in Cherry Hill, NJ but that they dont offer any showroom of any type.

Here's the link to the jacket I tried on:
http://blueingreensoho.com/site/ind...acturer_id=54&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Hey Oktobr,

Have you considered Schott NYC? They're in New York City and they offer a few A2 jackets. I believe their pricing is in your price range. Their A2SM starts around $440.

Edit: You could also try a Vanson dealer in north Jersey or NYC. There are several listed on their website. Vanson sells several A2 variants (check out their GA2 "Mustang Pilot Jacket"). Starting price is $429.

N.B. somehow I doubt "Vespa SOHO" would have an A2 on the rack. lol

Another option would be to wait until January and hit the International Motorcycle Show at the Javitz Center if you want to talk to Vanson directly. The Vanson factory has featured a stand there in the past. I was at the show in 2009 and cannot remember if they brought along the A2 jackets but it's worth a shot.

PS I hear ya on BiG's pricing ... I went up there to price some raw denim jeans a few years ago. :eek:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Oktobr - Re under-$500 A-2s and NJ/NY locales:

• Cockpit still has a NYC store at 652 Broadway.
  • You should get in touch with Sgt. Hack at US Wings. Their factory is somewhere in NJ, and maybe you can wrangle a visit. See http://www.uswings.com/uswfactory.asp
  • When I bought my A-2 from US Authentic, I visited their "factory" (more like a large garage) in Katonah, NY. If this isn't out of your travel range, give Shaul a call.

Oktobr

New in Town
Thanks for the quick replies.

US Wings and Cockpit seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. So, I guess the obvious question here is, will I really be able to notice the difference between those jackets and the Real McCoy's? This will be my first leather jacket (since I was a kid), but I do know quality when I see it.

Also, what's the quality of jackets found at Army/Navy Surplus stores usually like? There are quite a few right near me.

@Dr Strange
Yeah, Katonah is about 2 hours north from me... just a bit too far, unless I get desperate.

@Ace Rimmer
I actually own a few pairs of raw demin from BiG, the key is to go when they have sales. lol

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hello Oktobr,
Welcome to the Lounge!

If it was me, I'd seriously go for the U.S. Authentic A-2 in horsehide. Their goatskin is flimsy and doesn't seem very heavy duty. Their HH is strong and thick and will last a long time. No their A-2 is not 100% accurate but 99.5% of the world will ever know.

Another worth while option is to pick up a used L.L. Bean Flying Tiger A-2 on the 'Bay for well under $150.00. Avirex A-2s are plentiful on E-Bay as well. Just be cautious of their sizing(usually very generous).

Good luck on your search..........just be advised if you get hooked on this A-2 thing, you can drop some serious coin.

Regards, coffee

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Any new A-2s that you find in Army-Navy stores will be the same as the US Wings/Legendary USA/Cockpit/etc. models (like the Coopers of a few years back). As I've often said here, I am convinced that there's a single factory in NJ that makes current-style A-2s and G-1s (and other popular pseudo-military styles) that are sold under a lot of different brand names.

And YES, you will notice a difference! These are nice enough jackets, but NOT in the same league as even the lower-end repros like Gibson & Barnes or US Authentic, much less the premium ones by McCoy's, Eastman, Aero, Good Wear, etc.

Oh, and if you decide that you are interested in a US Authentic, it might be worth the drive: their sizing is so odd that trying them on is the best way to go.

Oktobr

New in Town
Thanks for the warning Coffee. Maybe now I'll spend less money on denim and more on jackets? :eusa_doh:

I noticed your location is in Arizona. How's wearing leather jackets out there? My wardrobe here, in NJ, doesnt tend to change much and I like that. If I'm not going to the beach, I'm usually in jeans and a tee all year 'round. So, I'd like to know just how many months out of the year I'll be able to wear an A-2 or a possibly a G-1 (they're growing on me).

Also, I'm really apprehensive about ordering a jacket on ebay. I'm comfortable ordering shoes on there, but as for a jacket... I'd prefer an actual company with reliable customer service. The fit is extremely important to me, and It's hard finding a jacket looks right on me because I'm such a slim and athletic guy (only 5'7'' and 135lbs).

@Dr Strange
Well, now I might have to plan a drive up there! lol

too much coffee

Practically Family
Oktobr,
I'm in Tucson; it's supposed to be(and I have no doubt it will be) 96 degrees today and between 97-99 degrees for the next 5 days. We just left a very hot summer. Fall and winter are great for leather jackets. Of course, I've been known to wear an A-2 when it's 100 degrees out; it's a dry heat as they say!
The irony of it is I'm from New Jersey.........grew up in Penns Grove and later in Garfield, Bergen county. Never go back there, the cold being one of the reasons.
To sum up your A-2 hunt, you can get a top of the line A-2 from a high end source(with great authenticity of course) such as GoodWear or Eastman initially and be done with it or you can start off cheaper, see how your enthusiasm for the A-2 progresses and end up with the high end stuff eventually. Remember, in a lot of cases you will pay dearly just for the authenticity factor. If your not obsessed by the cut of the pocket flap or the width of the epaulettes being spot on, you can save yourself a lot of money.

Regards, coffee

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Oktobr said:
Thanks for the quick replies.

US Wings and Cockpit seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. So, I guess the obvious question here is, will I really be able to notice the difference between those jackets and the Real McCoy's? This will be my first leather jacket (since I was a kid), but I do know quality when I see it.
l

I think if you want Real Mccoy quality (the latest R.Mccoy is made in Japan where as those Mccoys made before 2002 were made in NZ), with the price compromised, Aero would be your best choice. I was just talking to some of the A-2 enthusiasts in Asia, their advice to me was, if you think your A-2 is going to be your life time companion, just go out and get the best one that you can possibly afford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points