Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Rollneck RAF sweater

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Interesting specualation. It says a lot about your knowledge of the surplus and garment markets, HJ.

ELC's not so likely to market a commando sweater...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
...On another tack, there are far more wartime photographs of early Army Commandos wearing this garment than RAF personnel. They were issued to Commandos as part of Combined Operations (with the Royal Navy) for the Norwegian Campaign.

So...why aren't they hyped as 'commando sweaters'?

Now there's something ringing a bell.
Years ago, maybe 15, Laurence Corner, in London were selling similar sweaters and were calling them "Commando Sweaters".
This caused me to do the usual, head shaking, knowing that they were RN
and as they also had green army sweaters, of the type that could more correctly be called "Commando Sweaters".

Maybe they knew something I didn't, or maybe not.

I think Silvermans are selling some type of "white" RN sweater and adding the disclaimer that they can't be had anymore, in the earlier quality, or weight,
that they were previously selling- or something.

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Silvermans say theirs is current issue, although not as heavy a knit as WW2 ones. It would be intersting to compare the ELC one with this one. They were more or less the same price, as I recall.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
todd.jpg

I think we all rember Peter lawford as Lord Lovat in The Longest Day.
(Yes Hollywood - I know. But anyhow)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Spitfire

This is accurate, I think. Lord L is described as leading 10 Commando on D-Day wearing a RN jersey, carrying a game rifle and accompanied by his piper (see bottom right of photo). See the book 'Churchill's Private Armies' for more commandos in jerseys.

Hornet35

New in Town
Silvermans version

Due to lack of availability of these from Eastman for nearly a year and because the Aero version has odd ribbing below the collar I succumbed to buying Silvermans version and thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

I ordered the size three which is tagged 44-46. I am 6ft and 220lb and this is a snug fit - particularly in the armhole area. The collar is nice and tight and the sleeves, which have long welts, are a good length. The wool is reasonably soft and not scratchy. There are triangular cotton reinforcing patches where the shoulder seam meets the collar. The length is, well, long - at full extent it completely covers my posterior - so you have to adjust for an acceptable position of the hem welt.

The knit is the only thing I might have an issue with - you can't exactly shoot peas through it but its certainly not as close as my Barbour fisherman's sweater, but thats a different knit. There is a slight shadow effect if you wear a dark shirt under it. I guess I would wear a long sleeved white T shirt under it with maybe a thermal vest if I was outside on a particularly cold day. Looking at the old Eastman advert I'd think the needle size used was the same in both garments and there is some advantage to not having too thick a knit.

Verdict: For the money (49.99GBP plus 5.00GBP delivery) - not bad, particularly when you consider Nauticalia are selling something similar for 99GBP. Whether these are current Navy issue as Silvermans claim I know not. Whether they are anywhere near historically accurate, I also know not, but they are at least available and I can't fault Silvermans service - arrived the day after ordering.

Apologies for the quality of these, but they might give a flavour. The jacket is an Aero Cossack in seal buffalo:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/Hornet35/Jumper1.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/Hornet35/Jumper2.jpg

Rgds,

H35

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I like my Silverman’s Sweater. I like the fact it’s not to bulky and works well when riding a motorbike.

I too found it just a little snug and could easily go up a size. Something to think about if anyone is thinking of one of these.

I was at the Ace café on Sunday and theirs looks heavier than the Silverman’s.

James

H.Johnson

One Too Many
An alternative

A cheaper alternative reproduction RN jersey is the one by Solomon Adler at 35GBP.

I still think the real thing is the best...

Speedster

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
A cheaper alternative reproduction RN jersey is the one by Solomon Adler at 35GBP.

I still think the real thing is the best...

The Solomon Adler jersey does look good, and at a nice price.

Agree, the real thing is the best. If you can get it and fit into it. So many of us do not have other alternatives than the reproductions.

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
Just got my Ace Cafe white sweater. It's a beauty.
And a whole lot better than the one I got from WPG. And a lot softer too.:)

Congratulations Spitfire. Looking forward to the pictures.

You wrote that it was sent from the States instead of from the UK. Any unpleasant surprises from the Customs Authorities/Post office?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
Congratulations Spitfire. Looking forward to the pictures.

You wrote that it was sent from the States instead of from the UK. Any unpleasant surprises from the Customs Authorities/Post office?

Tak skal du ha' - no it was my mistake. The package from US - with custome!!!! - was a very nice scarf from Petermann. I had just forgotten all about it - and got things mixed up.
The jersey/sweater came directly from UK - with some delay due to a strike.

Edward

Bartender
Sounds like the Ace Cafe item may well be worth the extra over the price of the Silvermans item, then..... I don't mind paying a bit more on things if there's an appreciable quality difference, I'd just hate to pay a "WW2 enthusiast premium", if you follow. Wonder how the Aero fits into the scope of things?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner