Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Rollneck RAF sweater

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Here is a picture of my new Ace Cafe sweater - don't know if its more or less "original" - bottom line is, it's a damn nice sweater.:D
I have more or less lived in it since I got it.

AEROacesweater003.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
If anyone's interested in a genuine RN Sweater...

I'll be selling one of the "real" Royal Navy sweaters soon-
size 1, which fits me and I'm about a 42" chest and 5' 11".
Made by "Picks", the famous maker of RN Sweaters...
Just in the middle of moving house now, so when I'm "there" and have an
internet connection I'll put it up for sale, proper.

This is as a reminder to myself.

Stay alert and watch the classifieds!

B
T

Orlan

Familiar Face
My wife wants to get one to me, for Christmas gift. I toll her betwen Eastman or Silverman. Which of them do you recommend?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
If she's buying, the most expensive. ;)

I like my Eastman sweater very much. It's very natural, a slightly yellow ecru, and very warm.

AEH

One of the Regulars
Aero sweater

My new Aero "Classic Off-White Rollneck Sweater" has kept me warm in the freezing cold weather recently. ( -20 C).
Very comfortable and good quality, and it seems to have slipped through the recent price increase too :)

aero_sw.jpg

Made by BRENIRE ,which seems to be an Aero-like enterprise "deep in the heart of the Scottish Border country".
My size is 44L, and on Amandas advice i got a size L.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just wanted to say hi AEH as up until July 2008 I was living in Trondheim, just up from Solsiden on Innherredsveien :)

Nice jumper you've got yourself there.

Tim

AEH

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
Just wanted to say hi AEH as up until July 2008 I was living in Trondheim, just up from Solsiden on Innherredsveien :)

Nice jumper you've got yourself there.

Tim

And hi to you, Smithy!
I live just a few hundred meters above Solsiden, at Rosenborg. Hope you don't miss Trondheim too much :)
But as the temperature in Melbourne today is about 30 C higher than it is here, maybe I am the one who wants to go to Australia!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Do Aero / Eastman manufacture their own, or do they buy them in? They do look remarkably similar to me. Ditto the Silvermans offering.

The first place I saw these (I believe back then, though thed details on the site have changed, they also claimed to be produced by the original manufacturer) was at the Ace Cafe -

Submariner_Main.jpg

http://www.acecafeshop.com/products/219

They're up to GBP65, though, now.

Back about eight years ago they were selling them for £45, and I bought one for my dad for Christmas, for wearing out on the bike. In those days they offered them in both navy and ecru. I see the navy option has been dropped; probably due to the ecru being more popular as the colour seen in all the photos of the Ton Up Boys from back in the day (though I'm sure their were bought cheaply as surplus or otherwise, not premium-priced products!). Shame, as the navy is so much more practical in many ways. It's a beautiful sweater, and these years later still wearing very well indeed. And apparently fantastic out on the bike on a cold morning.

Have a look on Nauticalia Website as they seem to be the only ones that do this type of sweater in Navy. I have a couple of white ones, from J Pick & Silvermans which are great. Rgds.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
I have the Ace cafe sweater pictured above and it's nice and warm without being itchy.

I bought it a short while after they opened about 10 years ago and at that time they did a navy blue version too.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
This is my Silverman’s:

Got my dinner down the front already!! Was white really that practical on a sub?

Cheerio
James

Yes,The Silverman's and ACE Cafe White Roll Necks certainly are great sweaters, but I do agree with you, wonder why they went for white Jerseys on Submarines, navy or black would of been more practical, they had similar sweaters in the RAF too.

I have a Silverman's. Rgds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner