Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New "inexpensive" A2 aero/billkelso or other sugestions ?

Kid Mac

Practically Family
The colors in your picture are more subdued than those knit colors actually appear "in hand." Dark Berry is richer, rust is more vibrant, and dark brown is darker (almost black in some lighting).

As blethook suggests, ask Aero for samples.

Cheers,

Mac

Oktobr

New in Town
Just an update on my search.

After, about 15 phone calls; I've been to two army/navy stores around me. The first had 2 G-1s and they were pretty nice. The guy at the store, told me one of them was an original issue from the 70s and that the other was more recent. Both were unworn, and the supposed 70s issue one had some gorgeous leather. It was soft, supple, and it really felt nice to the touch. Unfortunately, it was a 36 and it was too small. The other, I didnt like nearly as much and pretty much shrugged it off.

Is it possible the 70s issue jacket was goatskin?

When I called the second store they said they had 2 A-2s and 2 G-1s. Both "A-2s" were not actually A-2s. No ribbed cuffs or waist band, and the back panel was two pieces. They were both too big and became irrelevant. The G-1s on the other hand were much nicer (quality wise), even though they were used. One, was a bit beat up, badly ripped cuffs and waist and it was too big. The other was a very nice Cooper, that seemed like it was only worn for about a month or so. Unfortunately, just my luck; it was too small (it was a 32). :(

Now I'm SERIOUSLY considering driving up to Katonah. Dr Strange, do you have Shaul's email or should I just use the one on their website?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Try the one on the site - I haven't been in touch with Shaul in several years now.

And spec G-1s are goatskin, apart from some faux-goatskin cowhide ones of recent years.

Oktobr

New in Town
Damn, Shaul said they wont do visits to the factory. :( Should I press him on it or let it go? He did, say, however that he thought a size 36 would fit me nicely (I provided my height and weight, I'm 5'7'' 135lbs). Anyone have a jacket from them, that could confirm?

Edit: From US Authentic to be more specific.
www.flightjacket.com

Oktobr

New in Town
Yeah I agree with you completely, Kt Templar. But I guess they're entitled to make that kind of decision; regardless of whether it helps us or not. It just seems a bit odd to me, seeing as how everyone involved with these types of jackets knows how important the fit and leather quality is to the consumer. So, you'd think they'd be more open to visits. shakeshead

garzo

One of the Regulars
Damn, Shaul said they wont do visits to the factory. :( Should I press him on it or let it go? He did, say, however that he thought a size 36 would fit me nicely (I provided my height and weight, I'm 5'7'' 135lbs). Anyone have a jacket from them, that could confirm?

Edit: From US Authentic to be more specific.
www.flightjacket.com

That is strange. Don't they have a factory store? I recently asked the folks at Gibson & Barnes if I could drop by just to look at what they have on stock on the wracks and they said to drop by anytime I want (but added that they might not have all sizes in stock). It would really seem a no-brainer for a jacket company to at least have a show room of some sort so that customers can come in and check out their products. I can understand not giving the public access to the factory floor where the jackets are actually being manufactured as that might be distracting for the employees (not to mention liability issues in the case that someone could get hurt on an industrial leather cutter or perforating machine) but at least a showroom where you can see some jackets and get fitted.

I've actually heard that a number of well known jacket makers don't actually have their own factories and that there's just one big factory that produces leather jackets for a number of big-name US jacket companies. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this statement but it is something that I've seen come up on the boards now and again. It would be nice to really find out how it's all set up and if in fact the jackets from America's leading leather jacket makers do in fact all come from the same factory.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Garzo...

US Authentic is a MUCH smaller operation than Gibson & Barnes (or Aero, Eastman, US Wings, etc.) and doesn't have any kind of showroom or retail operation. At least, they were when I visited them back in 2002: The business is housed in an old carriage house adjacent to Shaul's (much newer) home, with a work area downstairs and a one-man office in the hayloft above. There are only a half-dozen workstations, modest materials storage, and a few racks of finished jackets. When I was there, late on a weekday afternoon, it was just Shaul and one other guy. Definitely a SMALL business... but because of this, it's very responsive/fast, and their jackets have a more palpable hand-made-by-a-small-team-of-craftsmen feel than the factory products from G&B or US Wings.

And I'm one of the ones who's been promolgating the theory that many of the $200-$400 jackets (e.g., loosely cut, current-spec A-2s with simple V-shaped pocket flaps) originate from a single factory in NJ - the old Cooper factory - and end up being labeled as Legendary, US Wings, Cockpit, etc., as needed. Maybe it's not true, but there are an awful lot of VERY similarly priced, similar looking, domestic leather jackets out there that are made in Jersey...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points