Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Rollneck RAF sweater

Corto

A-List Customer
I bought a WPG submarine sweater a few years ago. The collar was a little over the top. I felt like Sir Walter Raleigh. Additionally, I thought it was poorly constructed. I'd like to buy another one sometime from a different company. They sure looked cool in "Battle of Britain".

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I used to have one from Eastman, though it was a few sizes too large. Its an excellent sweater. A little scratchy, but not near as much as the WPG, which I also have. Once they are restocked I plan on buying one or two in my size.

Edward

Bartender
Do Aero / Eastman manufacture their own, or do they buy them in? They do look remarkably similar to me. Ditto the Silvermans offering.

The first place I saw these (I believe back then, though thed details on the site have changed, they also claimed to be produced by the original manufacturer) was at the Ace Cafe -

Submariner_Main.jpg

http://www.acecafeshop.com/products/219

They're up to GBP65, though, now.

Back about eight years ago they were selling them for £45, and I bought one for my dad for Christmas, for wearing out on the bike. In those days they offered them in both navy and ecru. I see the navy option has been dropped; probably due to the ecru being more popular as the colour seen in all the photos of the Ton Up Boys from back in the day (though I'm sure their were bought cheaply as surplus or otherwise, not premium-priced products!). Shame, as the navy is so much more practical in many ways. It's a beautiful sweater, and these years later still wearing very well indeed. And apparently fantastic out on the bike on a cold morning.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
65 quid's good value for an all-natural lanolin-rich multi-ply sweater...if, like my Eastman sweater, that's what it is.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am also the happy owner of a WPG white rollneck/submarine sweater. And I don't know if scandianvians's got a tougher skin, 'cause I don't find it that scratchy;)
Anyway, I have completely fallen in love with the sweater from Ace cafe Shop, and ordered one today. It's allready in the post!:D

Edward

Bartender
Can anyone confirm whether the Ace sweater is the same one as the Aero? They do look startlingly similar.

Oh.... and I went looking to compare the photos of the Eastman offering, but it's not no their site anymore - have they dropped it from their range?

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Is it a Buzz Rickson product? Eastman re-stocks those only once per year in fall/winter, and if they've sold out something in the meantime they remove it from the website untill they get new stock again.

Edward

Bartender
When I last saw it, I believe it was listed alongside the USAAF mechanic's sweater, as an Eastman item, though if they are out of stock that woyuld explain its disappearance....

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
m000m000 said:
Is it a Buzz Rickson product? Eastman re-stocks those only once per year in fall/winter, and if they've sold out something in the meantime they remove it from the website untill they get new stock again.

Don't know - I only know that my Ace Cafe Sweater was shipped from US - allthough the Ace Cafe Shop is in UK. Strange....?
Haven't picked it up at the postoffice yet. Maybe I will know a lot more in a few hours.

(Edit)
Now I am so much wiser and forgetful - it wasn't a sweater in the mail - but a vey, very nice navy/white dots silkscarf from Petermans, that I had forgotten all about.
Sweater is still underway - probably from UK!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
That looks a lot like the genuine Royal Navy Sweaters.
The "collar" is NOT (it looks this way in the photo)a turn-down,
rollneck style, same as the RN "Submarine" sweaters.

I presume this is trying to be one of the RN sweaters(?) in which case it is
definitely a viable facsimile.

Mine are out of reach, so I cannot compare but it looks good!

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've got one of those Eastman sweaters. Mislabelled for 'heritage brand' reasons. But its well constructed, looks great and is very comfortable and warm. Nice sheepy nose, too. If you close your eyes while wearing it, it's like being in the Yorkshire Dales.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The ELC 'sweater' and RN Jersey, White

I think this has been covered in depth on another thread. The resemblance between the ELC 'sweater' and a modern issue RN 'Jersey White' (as made by e.g. J.Pick) is so strong that someone suggested that ELC was re-labelling issue jerseys. I don't know about that, but I can see what the poster meant.

On another tack, there are far more wartime photographs of early Army Commandos wearing this garment than RAF personnel. They were issued to Commandos as part of Combined Operations (with the Royal Navy) for the Norwegian Campaign.

So...why aren't they hyped as 'commando sweaters'?

PS - I am informed that the contract with the MOD for 'jerseys, white' has ended and will not be renewed. I am not suggesting that their non-availability from ELC has anything to do with this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner