Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra brim cut and binding.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
The plan was to get a Tawny Fed and send it to Optimo to get it trimmed to
2 5/8 and have a wide binding put on. Well somewhere along the way I got this crazy idea to try it myself. I was going to wait until everything was finished either by myself or Optimo but figured this would keep me from chickening out.:rolleyes:

I decided to try it on Dee's Leisuretime and cut the brim down to 2 5/8 and will attempt the binding tomorrow. I have cut the brim on the Fed and will also attempt the binding if I don't butcher the first one. I spent some time today sanding the felt on both to get them as smooth as I could. Then I ironed both bindings to get a fold going.

Anyway here is what I have so far.:eek:

Dee's leisuretime when she got it a year or so ago from another lounger. The ribbon has since been changed and if the binding attempt works will be changed again to match.

PB040042.jpg

After a 1/8 cut and sanding.

GEDC0376-1.jpg

And the ribbon that will hopefully be the binding. It is a brown with olive tones.

GEDC0386-1.jpg

Next Akubra Federation III in Tawny Fawn as it came.

GEDC0354-1.jpg

I was worried that it would look too much like my Penneys Marathon. But I wear that hat alot and hope to do the same with this one. I think I will wear it at times that I would not risk the penneys since it is the only vintage hat I have.

GEDC0380-1.jpg

After sanding and the brim cut, it's now 2 5/8.

GEDC0384-1.jpg

And the ribbon that is hopefully going on.

GEDC0385-1.jpg

I bet it'll come out well. And if it doesn't, you can always do it again.

You have a sewing machine, then? I've found, having done it a number of wrong ways, that properly setting up the equipment is the greatest part of it.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
I bet it'll come out well. And if it doesn't, you can always do it again.

You have a sewing machine, then? I've found, having done it a number of wrong ways, that properly setting up the equipment is the greatest part of it.
My mother in law is a seamstress so she will show me how to use it. I may pick up a stitchawl to though. I just REALLY do not want to screw up my new Fed.:eusa_doh:

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Nice work so far there, and good luck with the binding. I'd be equally nervous about doing this with my new Fed, but it's better with that than doing the same with a vintage hat. I try and take the 'preservation' view to the vintage hats if at all possible - scissors firmly put away :D

N. :)

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice work, Major IC. If I had attempted that I would have had a zig zag brim. I'll be watching for the binding work. You could end up with a second career.

jec

One of the Regulars
I have never tried an edge binding, but I have worked with a stitch awl and I can report that it is very difficult to get neat stitches in line, or of consistent size. I think you will have much better results with a machine. Look forward to seeing the finished hat.

How did you mark the 1/8" trim line before making the cut?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is going to be suspenseful and its not even my hat! Lots of intestinal fortitude to give that a run on a new hat. I can't wait for your continuation!

Mr. Paladin said:
This is going to be suspenseful and its not even my hat! Lots of intestinal fortitude to give that a run on a new hat. I can't wait for your continuation!
No doubt! I would've sent IC a beater that I'd like a bound edge on for practive if I'd known he was getting this industrious!:)

indycop said:
My mother in law is a seamstress so she will show me how to use it. I may pick up a stitchawl to though. I just REALLY do not want to screw up my new Fed.:eusa_doh:

If you're at all like me, once you get the hang of operating a sewing machine you'll clearly understand why they caught on.

Some things are better done by hand (a one-off, "handmade" hat just speaks to me in ways the mass-produced ones don't), but I find that a sewing machine makes it about a hundred times easier to get an even row of stitches on an edge binding.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Just did this myself to an old Snowy River (haven't posted pics yet) ... the ONLY thing I was unhappy with is my lack of sewing/finishing skill (read also: my patience).

If you have a sewing machine and the patience to get the stitching right ... I don't think you'll have any troubles. Just be careful and follow some of the great tutorials posted here.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jec said:
How did you mark the 1/8" trim line before making the cut?

I used this strap cutter from Tandy leather.:)

GEDC0390-1.jpg

That is locked at 1/8 inch. The pic is blurry but that is felt on the blade between the two blocks. I just set the hat flat on the table, rotating the hat with my left hand and hold the cutter against the table edge with my right. The edge of the brim goes against the block so it remains consistent. It is sharp enough to cut easily, when you get near the end you have to guide it out some and trim the last little bit with scissors. Otherwise you will just keep going round and round.:eek:

GEDC0391-1.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
If you're at all like me, once you get the hang of operating a sewing machine you'll clearly understand why they caught on.

Some things are better done by hand (a one-off, "handmade" hat just speaks to me in ways the mass-produced ones don't), but I find that a sewing machine makes it about a hundred times easier to get an even row of stitches on an edge binding.
Tony I went and got one of those stitch awl things and forget that! It's goin back! I will tack it down by hand and them machine it for the rest.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Earlier today I stitched the binding together, twice actually!:eusa_doh: The first time was too tight, second I think is good.

GEDC0393-1.jpg

Then I slipped it over the brim and misted it with distilled water to let it hopefully take on a more circular shape.

GEDC0389-1.jpg

And ready to line up and tack down by hand!:eek:

GEDC0392-1.jpg

indycop said:
GEDC0394-1.jpg

Only one thing left to do.:confused:

I'm thinkin' you oughta press that ribbon before stitching it down with the machine. A press cloth is in order, and a spray bottle filled with water might come in handy, too.

But man, it's lookin' good so far. Excellent for a first attempt, I'd say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21