Akubra questions

Discussion in 'Hats' started by backpacker416, Jul 25, 2013.

1. frussell

frussell One Too Many

You're going to be happy, sizing issues hopefully not a consideration. I had one I sold, and it was just what you're looking for. Light, as Brian said, big enough to go western or fedora, and tough. Frank

2. backpacker416

backpacker416 Familiar Face

Well, my Akubra Slouch is a 60 and thats what I ordered. I hope there is no problems! lol

3. Fermenter

Fermenter New in Town

Akubra Territory or Riverina?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a pale hat with a wide brim for casual summer dress, and I'm having trouble deciding (or even telling the difference, really) between these two:

Riverina:
    [​IMG]

Territory:
    [​IMG]

Aside from the bash and the eyelets, I guess they are more or less the same hat. I actually just splurged and ordered both in sand (I've been wanting to try the Riverina for a while, and the Territory is normally special order in that colour so I couldn't resist when I saw it available) but I will likely return one when I decide which I prefer.

I'll post some pics when they arrive and get your thoughts on how they sit above my ugly mug, but for now, what are your thoughts/impressions on either style?

4. Preacher Man

Preacher Man A-List Customer

Hello Fermenter and welcome to the Lounge! I like them both but I lean toward the Riverina. I'm seriously considering ordering one in sand. Anxiously looking for your pics! Who did you order them from? The Hattery or EA?

5. RJR

RJR

I very much like the Coolabah.

6. Fermenter

Fermenter New in Town

Hi Preacher Man, and thanks.

I'm in Australia so they generally aren't hard to come by, although most shops really only carry a handful of styles to suit the tourists and/or the local country folk. Neither the Riverina nor the Territory have made it to my neck of the woods, so I ordered them from 'Hats By The Hundred' in Queensland, who also trade under the name of 'spectrumonline2001' on eBay and the website 'australiangear.com.au'. They seem perfectly good to deal with, free shipping and no problems exchanging or returning according to their blurb.

I have had my eye on the Riverina for a while, my only concern was whether it looked too 'American cowboy', which is an aesthetic some rural folks here go for in a big way but I'm not a fan of. No offence intended to the good folks on this forum, but I tend to celebrate the differences and when I see young Aussie cattlemen here wearing Stetsons and smoking Marlboro and putting Chevrolet badges on their Holdens and singing country with an American accent, it makes me a little sad that the Aussie bush heritage seems so fragile and easily lost.

Having said all that, to my eye the Riverina doesn't look too Marlboro Man, and it's been on my list for some time. I also now live in the region after which it is named, so that's kind of cool. The Territory was a bit of an impulse buy, but they are very similar hats as far as I can see and the chance to grab one in the same lighter colour means I can try them side by side.

I'll post pics when they arrive, hopefully next day or two.

7. Bad Co

Bad Co One of the Regulars

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I myself have been considering both in the sand color .
    When you get them would you give some insight as to the taper of the Riverina ?
    From looking at the pics the Riverina seems just a Coober Pedy with a larger brim , I had a Coober Pedy and didn't like it because of the taper
    The Territory looks like a Snowy River with a wider and flatter brim
    Any feedback would be helpful .

8. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

I respect that. I hate it when cultural heritages are lost in any society. It makes for a much duller world. Keep up the good work, keep that Aussie culture alive, Fermenter! :)

9. Fermenter

Fermenter New in Town

I could be wrong, but my impression of the Territory is that it more resembles a wider-brimmed Cattleman than a Snowy River. The Snowy River looks less tall to me, and more angled (shorter at the rear than the front). The Cattleman is fairly square-sided and it seems like the Riverina is too.

That's going by web pics though, so I'll post some real ones when they get here and see if we can't shed a bit more light.

10. Bad Co

Bad Co One of the Regulars

You may be Correct ? Looking forward to seeing them, Thanks

11. Lotsahats

Lotsahats One Too Many

I like the looks of that Territory! Does anyone know if they make the same basic model without the vent holes?

A

12. diabolicaldog

diabolicaldog New in Town

The Colly is similar, it also has vent holes but in a triangle arrangement. I wish Akubra would make it an option.

13. Neophyte

Neophyte My Mail is Forwarded Here

If it helps at all in your decision, Fermenter, I've got a good pic of my Akubra Cattleman in Sand. I was trying out my new GoPro in preparation for some cinematic SCUBA. This was taken in Cabo San Lucas, and I had to alter the photo a bit so it wasn't washed out by the extreme sunlight and light surroundings. I think this pic best represents the color and dimensions of the hat in sunlit conditions.

The Territory has the same crown shape as the Cattleman, but has a slightly wider brim, no bound edge, and a leather hatband rather than a ribbon. The crown of the Cattleman/Territory is very slightly tapered, but it's hard to tell. The taper of the Riverina crown is going to be a bit more pronounced, but some are into that look.

EDIT: Oops, sorry. I didn't originally see that you went ahead and purchased both. Can't wait to see the pics!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  14. Hey nice to see you Alex!

15. Neophyte

Neophyte My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks Hato, you too! I've admittedly seen little of the Lounge in the past couple months. Grad school has been busy, but now that I'm in the rhythm of things, and weather is starting to become more hat-friendly, I'm sure I'll be a little more active on the forums. Only so much I can contribute without bringing any new hats to the table, but that's gonna change soon as my budget increases.

16. Good news^^^

By the way, Fermenter, although I'm American and love the Cowboy Culture, I agree it's sad if the Aussie cowboy culture is being lost.

17. beetleything

beetleything Familiar Face

Just bought one of these - pretty good quality i think.

18. Fermenter

Fermenter New in Town

Woohoo! New hat day!

Well, there was a box waiting for me at the post office this afternoon, so these pics are as fresh as they come!

Apologies for the naff indoor photography and the low viewing angle, this is me being a fashion model in front of my webcam. Not a regular occurrence.

Riverina:

Riverina.jpg RiverinaJacket.jpg

Territory:

Territory.jpg TerritoryJacket.jpg

First impressions: both are beautifully made, of course. Both are unlined, virtually identical inside, and neither crown slips easily inside the other, suggesting the difference in taper is not as big as all that. The Territory is a little tighter against the front and back of my head, indicating a rounder crown, although there's not much in that either. My Cattlemans always felt like that at first, too, supporting my suspicion of shared genes.

The Riverina is about 20mm taller at its highest point than the Territory. The felt on the Territory is noticeably thicker - 4mm-ish, as opposed to the 3mm-ish of the Riverina. I actually just gave my old Cattleman away, but I don't know if it was as thick as this Territory, even when it was new. The Riverina's band is woven, a little wider and IMO less formal than the flat band of the Territory.

It's interesting how the centre crease of the Riverina doesn't really show in these pics - that's partially because of the lighting, but the effect in the mirror is similar, too. You've really got to look at it head on to see the crease, once the hat tilts up or down by a few degrees it pretty much disappears from view.

Straight away I've formed a preference for the Riverina - it's lighter, taller, probably cooler, and a little more rounded and casual, which I like. It could just be the novelty of a different shape than I'm used to, but I think it suits my face a little better - let me know what you think.

The jacket is more a winter item here, in summer it's strictly shirtsleeves only. My initial thinking was to get a pale wide-brimmed hat for the summer, and probably just another Cattleman in a darker colour for winter, but let me know what you think of the light hat / dark jacket combo. I'm also liking the proportion of the wider brim over my wide body - not sure a 'winter' hat really needs a narrower brim.

So right now I'm thinking of returning the Territory, they are really very similar hats and aside from a hair more formality I can't see the Territory offering anything the Riverina doesn't.

Interesting about the different felt thickness though, I didn't see that coming!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    johnnycanuck likes this.
  19. Brian Niebuhr

Brian Niebuhr One of the Regulars

They both look good on you. I don't know how you can send one back after getting both of them. I'd be too attached and would end up with two more hats.
    Are those "sand" or "light sand"? My sand Woomera is more greyish. Almost like a light chocolate milk color. Yours seem more like actual sand color. Maybe it's just the lighting and the wood in the room giving off more of a tan color.

20. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

There's very little between 'em to be honest but my preference would fall on the Riverina, the taller crown clinches it for me & it also appears to have a little more style .........I would have to reshape it though, I'm allergic to factory creases. :D