Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Snowy River: Could someone measure hat's OPEN-crown height for me?

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Debating on buying an Akubra Snowy River...hesitating because the factory-blocked crown is very low -- too low for my preference.

I was planning to open it up and re-block it anyway. But I'm wondering if there's enough open crown to actually do much with it. Would somebody who has a Snowy River please be kind enough to pop it into open-crown configuration and measure its open height?

That info tidbit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You'd be better off with Boss of the Plains or a Bushman, IMHO. Cattleman is low too to me.
Snowy River is a low profile crown even in open crown state, about 5 3/8 inches, not a lot of crown to work with.
I have a Dallas which was a Snowy River with a fancy hat band.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
The main reason I'm thinking of a Snowy River is, it's the only Akubra available in white.
I wish they offered a few other country or western styles in white. I have a couple of their "sand" color hats and I wanted something lighter in color.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Debating on buying an Akubra Snowy River...hesitating because the factory-blocked crown is very low -- too low for my preference.

I was planning to open it up and re-block it anyway. But I'm wondering if there's enough open crown to actually do much with it. Would somebody who has a Snowy River please be kind enough to pop it into open-crown configuration and measure its open height?

That info tidbit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

One of the main reasons for seriously considering the Snowy River is that it's probably my least-expensive option for a quality white hat compared with white western hats from most other sources. I only just noticed that the changing exchange rates have dropped the prices quite a bit on hats ordered from Australian online retailers like Everything Australian.

Harper

New in Town
In all seriousness, if crown height is an issue for you, you really don't want a Snowy River unless you don't mind having it touching the top of your head. I spent years trying to get mine to where it didn't annoy me. Wearing a Fed 4 and a campdraft now.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
In all seriousness, if crown height is an issue for you, you really don't want a Snowy River unless you don't mind having it touching the top of your head. I spent years trying to get mine to where it didn't annoy me. Wearing a Fed 4 and a campdraft now.

My plan has always been to pop the standard factory blocking back to open-crown and re-do it myself. Harper, did you re-block your hat and still have that problem with the hat touching the top of your head? That's why I was hoping to get a measurement of an opened-up Snowy River (which Gtdean seems to have included above). Thanks!

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
You'd be better off with Boss of the Plains or a Bushman, IMHO. Cattleman is low too to me.
Snowy River is a low profile crown even in open crown state, about 5 3/8 inches, not a lot of crown to work with.
I have a Dallas which was a Snowy River with a fancy hat band.

Gtdean, is that an actual measurement you've done? Or a best estimate? Thanks!

Harper

New in Town
Hey H Weinstein. Reblock? Not really. Lots of reworking of the crown to maximize the height and try to get it up off my balding head. When I had a full head of hair, it didn't bother me. I did finally get it up to where I can wear it without constant annoyance. If you can afford to experiment, you may find it does work. I do have a very high dome, and lots of "antennae" due to the balding. Usual "YMMV" fine print.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
OK. Any input appreciated. I may just roll the dice, get the hat and play with it.
I actually e-mailed Sam at Everything Australian to see if he could get an open-crown measurement directly from Akubra. Answer pending. If I find out anything, I'll post it here just as an FYI.
Thanks, guys! :)

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Mine is measuring 5 1/4". Keep in mind that along with a short crown this hat also has a lot of taper. I haven't been able to bash anything that looks good to me. I've moved on to other Akubras that have more crown. The taper makes it harder to bash more than the low height does. There just isn't enough felt to play with.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Mine is measuring 5 1/4". Keep in mind that along with a short crown this hat also has a lot of taper. I haven't been able to bash anything that looks good to me. I've moved on to other Akubras that have more crown. The taper makes it harder to bash more than the low height does. There just isn't enough felt to play with.

Brian, that's very helpful. Disappointing, but helpful. Probably enough to make me forget about the Snowy River and look elsewhere for a white hat. Thanks!

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
In case it matters to anybody, the folks at David Morgan told me the height of an open-crown Snowy River maxes out at about 5.5 inches. So I guess it's fair to call it between 5-1/4" and 5.5"...which convinced me there's not enough crown to work with. Thanks for the help, opinions and info :)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have knocked the crown out of a cheep e-bay Snowy river and it takes a lot to get it out of its original shape. As it has been said it does not have a lot of crown to work with. This is what I did with it.

Now if you are looking for a white hat why not give Smithbilt a try. http://www.smithbilthats.com/products/white
A little more money for the fir felt but they do have the "caim to fame" for the white hats. By the way I have a wool "scout" model and I have never had an issue with shrinking. It does get super soft and a little floppy though.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy