Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any military Personnel here?

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
I just recently joined the USAF. It's a pretty good life but I have beef with the BDU (Battle Dress Uniform). In the AF, we have dress blues and the BDU and that's about it. I am questioning why we have to wear a uniform officialy designated as a manual work/combat uniform when we have to work in the medical or office type positions? Where's the khaki uniform? That would provide just the perfect wear for that nich between down and dirty and formal. In the AF, we could wear the khaki with a blue belt, black low quarters, blue tie (tucked into the shirt up for debate) and a blue Garrison cap or round service cap. What do you think? The Navy is got a great selection of uniforms though perhaps too many.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
I always liked Navy uniforms, especially the dress blues and whites (both choker and summer). I never much cared for the short sleeved khaki uniforms, though they tend to be everyone else's favorites. What I really regret missing out on was the service dress khaki, with the SB military jacket, tie and shoulder boards. That was sharp, but before my time. Sigh.... I keep hoping maybe they'll bring it back, but alas, I think it's gone forever.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
I am not military myself, but my hubby is an active duty Captain in the United States Marine Corps.
The "cammies" are pretty much standard for most fleet Marines. The Corps officially went to the new digital design shortly after Operation Iraqi Freedom I, mainly to distinguish themselves from the other services (I believe.) Although, the Army has at least followed suit with their own digitals and the Navy seems on tap to do so as well in the future. Interesting note that Marines are not authorized to wear their utility uniform, or "cammies" as a liberty uniform--it is strictly a working uniform. So you will never see Marines in cammies off base unless in vehicles, getting gas, or making brief, essential stops while commuting.
Obviously, the Corps has the famous Dress Blues which most people recognize. That is specifically the blue dress "A" uniform--the long dark coat with the blue blood stripe pants, or white pants, depending on the season, full medals worn. The "dress blue Bravos" or blue dress "B" uniform is essentially the same thing, but ribbons authorized instead of medals. Dress blue Charlies or blue dress "C" uniform is the blood stripe pants (or skirt for females) worn with a long sleeved khaki shirt and tie, and same cover. Dress blue Deltas or blue dress "D" uniform is the basically the same thing except with a short sleeved khaki shirt, no tie. This if often what you see Marine recruiters wearing.
I think the dress blue Charlies and Deltas are nice in that they still look formal and are identifiable as Marines, but they still allow a little more comfort for the wearer.
What the Corps also has, which sounds like the Air Force is missing, is a Service uniform. This is what is typically worn for checking into units, official business like courts martial, and often for travel. Basically it is greenish pants and coat with a khaki shirt and tie. There are some variations to this as well--without the jacket, long sleeved shirts, short sleeved shirts, different covers.
My Hubby and I love the Marine Corps service uniform. It is equivalent to a civilian suit. It has actually changed very little since the days of WWII and we think it looks very vintage and cool. Hubby actually wore his at our wedding.
Congrats on your service to our country.
Sincerely,
Jessica

matei

One Too Many
I was in the USAR. At one point I was stationed on a base with Marines and Navy personnel. I always thought those two branches, especially the Marines, had the coolest uniforms (as far as US military goes) - far cooler than the Army's BDUs and pickle suit Class As.

Granted, the uniforms weren't so cool that I would've signed up with either branch... ;)

That being said, I thought the old-style BDUs (the ones with the wee tag on the shirt to bring it closer to the body) were very comfy. Nothing beat a pressed set of BDUs, and highly-shined boots. I know that it kinda defeated the purpose of the camo, but still...

Towards the end of my stint they brought in new style of warm weather BDUs that were more "form fitting". They were also a lot harder to iron!

I'm talking woodland camo, by the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran