Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

any other "unworthy" lurkers?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1928.gif

I am not 100% vintage. I only have few items. But I love to read all the stuff about clothes and browsing picture galleries ....
Some threads are about very specifical knowledge, some are about taste and good looks. So there is enough chance to write something, non?

1961MJS

Completely NON-vintage

Hi

My wardrobe is completely non-vintage, and will almost certainly remain that way. I do look for re-production clothing, and wear fedora's and campaign hats.

I have a bunch of old clothes in my parent's attic, but my Dad was much shorter and skinnier than I am.

Later

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I went from what you see in my photo <<<<<<<< to mostly a nice polo shirt or button up shirt and jeans or kakis, with brown or black leather shoes and a hat.

Still looks nice but comfortable.

I keep my better clothes for dates and interviews and such.

LordBest

Practically Family
I dress in a 'preppy' style (apparently) though I do intend to dress in a full vintage style (I want the vintage look with the benefit of actually fitting) once I stop shrinking. I certainly don't feel 'unworthy'.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
wow. didn't expect this many responses.

thanks to all.

fwiw, i'm in state law enforcement, plain clothes. for work i like to wear chinos, shined shoes and Cuban/Mexican shirts when i can. it's a nice change from the cargo pant/polo shirt "uniform" of my coworkers. and a stylish way to hide the "bat belt".

hats are typically irish caps or my one vintage Saks fedora. still looking for good straw to go with the shirts above...

i guess i was just overwhelmed by the awesomeness here. :)

Neophyte

So far, the only things I've adopted since joining the Lounge are fountain pens (though I've always wanted one, so I'm not sure if that counts), leather loafers (more comfortable and cheaper than my sneakers, surprise, surprise...), wearing dress pants almost daily (though I ride a bike to class, and I haven't devised an efficient way of keeping that grease from contact with the chain off my pants lol), an appreciation of smart casual and dress clothing, and a scary devotion to Akubra hats.

I'm only a sophomore in college right now, but eventually I hope to be a licensed physician. I'm a fairly eccentric individual, so my mantra is: "When you're a professional, you've got leeway!"

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Hi I just wanted to put in my two cents. No one here should feel unworthy. After all you’re here. We’re members of a local steam and gas engine club and host an annual show each year. After reading this thread it reminds me of that. When new people are interested in getting involved we tell them they don’t have to own an engine or tractor or anything old. All they have to do in care about preserving history for future generations. Sure enough we’re all collectors that enjoy playing with our toys. But underlying all of it we hope that what we save and restore will be passed on to future generations. Each member of the club has varying interests so if everyone saves some different part of life from years ago as a group we should have a good general cross sampling of the rural life from the last 150 years. That’s the point of our annual show is so the general public can see this history operating in real life rather than looking at it in books. We as a club are trying to welcome in the younger generations so there’ll be someone to carry on in the future.
Well getting back to the FL, It’s the same here. It doesn’t matter whether you collect hats, ties, cars, radios or anything at all. Whether you have a couple of old things or live a complete vintage life. What matters is that something has sparked your interest and you’re here. If you carry something into your life you never know if you may spark the interest in someone else. That’s how it carries on.
So don’t be bashful about jumping in and getting to be a part of things.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
I haven't devised an efficient way of keeping that grease from contact with the chain off my pants.

You could take some tin-snips and cut an appropriate shape out of some tin or aluminum and fasten it on. Either that, or you could take some fabric and make quickly removable shin-guards, so to speak, that just make sure it's not your actual pants getting the grease and that you could toss in your book bag when not in use. If you have access to a metal shop on campus, I bet the guys there could help you design something cool.

Bebop

Practically Family
I certainly do not feel unworthy in the literal sense of the word. I feel more "out of place" when it comes to some subjects here. In some threads, I feel like asking, "how could you all possibly think that looks good?" :eek: ...but of course that would not cut it so I keep my fingers from typing and that makes me feel a little "out of place" but not unworthy.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
wearing dress pants almost daily (though I ride a bike to class, and I haven't devised an efficient way of keeping that grease from contact with the chain off my pants

You need some bicycle clips. No one in their right mind went cycling in the Golden Era without them.

de-stressed

New in Town
Smithy said:
You need some bicycle clips. No one in their right mind went cycling in the Golden Era without them.

I remember wearing those as a kid! Somehow I still managed to get grease on me though. You could also get a chain guard.

1961MJS

Neophyte said:
... wearing dress pants almost daily (though I ride a bike to class, and I haven't devised an efficient way of keeping that grease from contact with the chain off my pants lol)...

Hi

When I was in college in the 1980's, the serious nerds stuffed their pants into their unmatched tube socks. (I don't suggest it), if there are clips of some kind, get some.

My favorite Jeans from 8th grade until Junior year (roughly) were double hand me downs from two cousins (VERY broken in), and had at least 3 separate sets of sprocket marks where the bell bottoms had gone all of the way around the sprocket. Grease isn't as permanent as that is...

later

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Wait....

There are 'worthy' people here?

lol lol lol

PFFFFFFFFFFT!!

I make my vintage dresses in un-vintage-like fabric choices and make no apologies for it. I have visible tattoos, also, and I wear jeans & girl T's on the weekends. Could care less if anyone here (or anywhere else for that matter) thinks I'm "unworthy" lol

lostinthe50's

New in Town
I would love to be able to dress and decorate in a total vintage style but dont have the time or money to get it done....I like the whole rock-a-billy and 40-50 dress style. I have several old books and love the whole rat pack era. I think its more a since of inter-being that makes me more vintage than what is on the outside. I'm glad I found this site it has helped me when going through some hard times lately and let me know that there are still good people out there. Thanks to you all.

beth

Familiar Face
I don't think I feel unworthy that I can't incorporate much vintage into my life. Rather I greatly admire everyone who can.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
beth said:
I don't think I feel unworthy that I can't incorporate much vintage into my life. Rather I greatly admire everyone who can.
You have a career waiting for you in politics. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy