Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody join me for evening coffee?

Subvet642

A-List Customer
As I started to drink coffee while in the Navy, I like mine a little bit "crunchy". That is why I like instant. In a 12 oz. mug I use 3 tsp. coffee, 3 tsp. sugar, fill 2/3 with hot water, the rest is half & half. All that and it's still smoother than "Boat" coffee. :coffee:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
8 shots?! yikes, might be time to buy an espresso machine for home. it'd be paid for in 2 month's savings from not going to starbucks, and you could use organic coffee, thereby lessening your intake of carcinogenic sprays.

ShoreRoadLady, thought you'd appreciate this ostensibly-"close" knockoff recipe--I'm only a "rarely" coffee-drinker, preferring my caffeine from hot-chocolate and warmed sodas, but I keep an eye out around recipe-sites.

Ingredients
* 3 tablespoons powdered baking cocoa (author used Ghirardelli-sweet ground chocolate and cocoa powder)
* 3 tablespoons warm water
* 1 1/2 tablespoons peppermint syrup (do not use extract- you can buy a very large bottle of syrup at Starbucks for $7) or creme de menthe
* 4 ounces espresso (see note below on how to make if you are unfamiliar)
* 12 ounces steamed milk (I use Fat Free)
* whipped cream
* red sugar crystals

Directions
1. Combine 3 Tbsp Baking Cocoa with 3 Tbsp warm water to make into a rich syrup. Pour into a 16 ounce mug.
2. Add espresso
3. Add Peppermint syrup.
4. Steam milk and add to remainder of cup.
5. Garnish with whipped cream and sugar crystals.
6. Note: To make espresso (for 2 servings of this recipe) for those who do not know how, follow the directions below. Don't let the thought scare you it is almost as easy as making regular american coffee- it just takes a little practice:
7. Buy a $30 machine (Mr. Coffee ECM250 is good).
8. Put water into carafe up to band and put into machine.
9. Put coffee (any kind of finely ground) into filter head and pack down well.
10. Turn on and brew until carafe fills to 4 cup line that way there is still enough water in machine to steam milk.
11. Switch to steam mode and steam milk (if you do not have a frothing pitcher a 12 oz ceramic mug will work filled half way with milk but takes 2 fill ups to make one serving of this recipe).
12. Follow recipe and enjoy!

SOURCE: http://www.recipezaar.com/Starbucks-Peppermint-Mocha-202183

Come to think of it, that does sound pretty good, except I'd need it with at least six shots... and if you check out TopSecretRecipes.com, they've got a recipe for the perfect companion, the Starbucks Peppermint Brownie.
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipedetail.asp?sessionid=&login=yes&id=205&page=
Don't recall if it was free the week it rolled out, but it's 79 cents now*--trust me, this site and the cookbooks that launched it are really good for impressing people; it's like a multi-course meal, eating each course at a different restaurant, without all the driving, tipping and cost!)
*SRL, if you're interested, PM me and I'll see if I've got it around my PDF'ed TSR collection.:)

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - "Return"
via FoxyTunes

Subvet642

A-List Customer
randooch said:
8 shots?! yikes, might be time to buy an espresso machine for home. it'd be paid for in 2 month's savings from not going to starbucks, and you could use organic coffee, thereby lessening your intake of carcinogenic sprays.

I haven't been to Starbucks in ages, the hospital put a coffee cart in my lobby, and I'm wicked lazy. The 8 shot caffeine bombs are for rough mornings. :eusa_doh:

jac

Familiar Face
I like to get an assortment of 5 lb bags from a mail order purveyor, than grind them to powder in my trusty Braun.

Years back I worked down the street from this 24 hour coffee merchant who you could order up Triple-BlackTiger/Chocolate-Raspberry Espresso Shakes served up with a complimentary handful of chocolate covered roasted beans.

Sheer decadence- we kept that up to work into the wee hours until the thought of java-induced strokes backed us off.

Another case of too much of a good thing, but boy were they delicious!

Like most good things, the 24 hour option ceased. They may not even be around anymore. Starbucks just don't do it for me. Makes me think of McDonald's.

rkwilker

One Too Many
Have a friend in Costa Rica that sent me some coffee recently. Very good coffee. Also my sister in law is in Rwanda and sent me some of their coffee for Christmas(Rwandan Blue Mountain). Good coffee and very strong but ground very fine. I do enjoy a good cup of coffee........black, no additives.

French

Familiar Face
evening coffee

I almost exclusively drink decaf, so my after dinner coffee, when I have one, is usually a decaf espresso, made with whatever single origin bean I've most recently roasted. Right now, I'm drinking a colombian, roasted to a Full City roast (for the true coffee geeks among us), however, my favorite for after dinner is the Sweet Maria's Komodo Blend, which hasn't been available for some time.

French

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I'm a tea gal, but when I need something to steady my nerves it's a cup of good 'ol folgers straight black. If I'm drinking coffee, just to drink it, it's so sicky sweet with sugar and milk I can barely stand it. :rolleyes: lol, so I pretty much drink my tea with milk and sugar and my coffee black.

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
By the afternoon I try to stay away from coffee so I can sleep at night but if it's a chilly cold evening I might have a cup of hot Russian Tea.

When I was stationed in Homer Alaska we got our coffee from Ty Gates of Captain's Coffee Roasting Company, he would get his beans fresh from his brother-in-law in Guatemala (in the old fashioned burlap sacks to boot.) then roasted them right there in front of you.

Best Sailor's Coffee I ever had.

JEEP

Practically Family
Mmmmmmm..... Coffee. I love coffee!

I usually drink organic Peter Larsen which I grind myself and brew in a vintage enamel coffeepot or in a modern french press. It is amazing how the two diffrent methods gets something entirely diffrent out of the same kind of beans.

Here's a pic of my vintage setup:

Kaffe01.jpg

And here's playing a little with effects:

Kaffe02.jpg

I usually take my coffee with milk.

Regards.

Jakob

Dave the Hick

New in Town
Well, I could talk coffee all day, but since we're talking about evening coffee, make mine Irish. Or Tennessee, which is the same but with a healthy helpin' of Jack Daniels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk