Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone with experience with Aero's sateen lining?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I like Aero's cotton drill throughout for comfort, ease of use, and durability. No experience with sateen.

technovox

One Too Many
I had the cotton drill on my Sheene and 30's Half-belt. But I went with the sateen on my latest Dustbowl.
So I've had them both.
Personally I much prefer the sateen. Right out of the box the sateen is much softer and smoother than the cotton drill. (The cotton drill never seem to soften up, but perhaps I didn't have the jackets long enough.) The sateen seems to be wearing just as well too. I believe it's all cotton, so it's not clingy or sticky like a poly sateen blend. Overall, it's very, soft, comfortable and easy to wear. I absolutely love it. On all my future Aeros, I'm going to specifically request sateen.
Hopefully they now offer it in more color selections.

sateencc.jpg

Last edited:

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Great to hear! They have a burgundy available, it was that or red drill for my black Highwayman. .Not sure what other colors but based on your collective experience I'm leaning that way.

Techno...thanks for the photo!

dan_t

Practically Family
What about a combination of both?
Cotton drill for the body (hard wearing & comfortable) plus sateen for the sleeves for ease of getting in & out of?
That sounds like a nice arrangement to me. Has anyone tried this?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The sateen does feel nicer. The only problem with it is that sooner or later it will tear. I had a jacket with sateen sleeves but tore it one day on a ring I was wearing. It was one of those things that just got worse every time I put it on. The cotton drill isn't as comfy, but it'll last till doomsday.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, my experience with sateen is that it develops stress wear in seams and creases which eventually tear. Depending on the sateen it can happen pretty quickly.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Sateen has nothing in common with Satin other than in the similar pronunciation of the two words.

Satin is a thin shiny cloth usually made from Rayon, Silk or a similar synthetic. Sateen is a polished finish applied to pure cotton in the case of Aero's "Sateen" or it can be a poly cotton although we wouldn't use a blend.

Sateen Cotton will wear every bit as well as the same weight Cotton Drill. The benefit of the Sateen finish is to make the surface of the cloth less clingy, it's most commonly used in upholstery cloth, but is also perfect for a jacket lining.

Hope this helps! :)

AdeeC

Practically Family
Sateen has nothing in common with Satin other than in the similar pronunciation of the two words.

Satin is a thin shiny cloth usually made from Rayon, Silk or a similar synthetic. Sateen is a polished finish applied to pure cotton in the case of Aero's "Sateen" or it can be a poly cotton although we wouldn't use a blend.

Sateen Cotton will wear every bit as well as the same weight Cotton Drill. The benefit of the Sateen finish is to make the surface of the cloth less clingy, it's most commonly used in upholstery cloth, but is also perfect for a jacket lining.

Or nice quality cotton sateen bed sheets.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Not sure about the others but I was referring to sateen not satin and my experience has been quite variable. Bit if you say the Aero sateen wears as hard as drill I'm happy to accept that. The stuff I had - not yours - though thick did not last more than 2-3 years and tore in all the creases. Maybe it was a blend.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

Thanks Holly - very helpful information. I think the sleeves of my Teamster might be lined with sateen rather than cotton drill. [huh]

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Now I know the difference between the two words, but I still couldn't find a good comparison picture between the two. I read somewhere satin has a shiny surface, and sateen has a lustre surface, can't really imagine where shiny ends and lustre begins either :)

Now I know the difference between the two words, but I still couldn't find a good comparison picture between the two. I read somewhere satin has a shiny surface, and sateen has a lustre surface, can't really imagine where shiny ends and lustre begins either :)

lol Yeah, ditto. Without seeing it in person, fine nuances between between the two materials are lost to me as well. Seems there's some texture to sateen, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21