Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Have you ever made pumpkin pie from scratch? I mean cut up and boil the pumpkin? It's slightly cumbersome, but very easy, and fun.
Also, have you ever tried squash pie? That's what they have in New England instead of pumpkin. And I'm sure those quirky New Englanders do it just to be different, no other reason. lol
Likewise sweet potato pie. Sweet potato pie seems to be more of a soul food thing.
All good.

That is such a coincidence - I made sweet potato pie for the first time ever yesterday. It was a vegan recipe from Russell Simmons, and whilst I'm not a fan of the music or the clothes, boy oh boy, that pie was demolished by 2 people in less than 24 hours! I will definitely be making that one again!

I think this horrendously uncomfortably sweltering with no respite summer has definitely made me switch to the Hooray for Autumn camp for good. It was horrible for us humans, but the worst was having to watch our dogs suffer in the heatwave and being able to do so little for them.

Halloween has always been my Christmas, the time of year that I count down to, take days off for and plan for. The sight of a pumpkin can make me go all misty-eyed! I love carving a jack-o-lantern every year, but when decomposition kicks off I put it in the garden to rot into the earth in its own time (a dignified demise, I think).

Since I've begun to dress vintage/vintage-y, I find dressing for the colder months so much more fulfilling, and much easier, as my cold-weather wardrobe is so much more extensive. I end up wearing the same old things in summer.

Foofoogal

Banned
I love sweet potato pie, pumpkin made from scratch a few times and buttermilk pie. lol

I have always been way much more a pie eater than a cake. I always wanted pies for my birthdays. My fav dessert though will always probably be blueberry cheesecake.

I have Fallitis so bad right now.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by dhermann1
Have you ever made pumpkin pie from scratch? I mean cut up and boil the pumpkin?

When I first got married, my hubby said he wanted all of his meals homemade. He might should have checked with me on that as I had never doen more than boil water for pasta! But, thanks to my newly gifted Betty Crocker cookbook, I could do anything!
And so I made a pumpkin pie from scratch. I read that recipe a dozen times and it never said anything about adding sugar. I believe I made 6 pies from FRESHLY HARVESTED AND COOKED PUMPKIN!!!
He took one bite and well, lets just say we laugh about it to this day!!\
It did call for sugar lol

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
98F on the truck thermometer today at five PM. Yes, I think this summer has worn out its welcome with me.

Actually, we're bracing for Mr. Earl tonight. He's supposed to be here Thursday. Of course, with a name like Earl, where else would he go? I've always believed that all hurricanes that share their names with more than 25% of trailer park residents in Craven County...are destined to come to Craven County.

AF

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
Actually, we're bracing for Mr. Earl tonight. He's supposed to be here Thursday. Of course, with a name like Earl, where else would he go? I've always believed that all hurricanes that share their names with more than 25% of trailer park residents in Craven County...are destined to come to Craven County.

AF

Be sure to batten down the hatches and let us know when all is well on your end!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
flat-top said:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/834fxS1T_dQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/834fxS1T_dQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
I honor of today...of course it was literally 100 degrees here yesterday. uuuhhhh.......

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Autumn has already begun here in Alaska, our position being so far north we get the season earlier than others in the lower 48.

But something happened today that I've never seen weather wise. It was raining, lots of fog and then, as the sun was setting, a small break in the clouds appeared, and it sort of illuminated the fog and clouds and everything, I mean everything, took on a sepia tone, like an old photograph. I'm still looking at the effect right now, it is quite beautiful.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Foofoogal said:
It is 85 degrees here but this morning was a cool 54 degrees. Fabulous. I rode with my windows open on my car. :)
Just awful here in NY today. Earl totally missed my area but it was so unexpectedly (STILL) hot that we had to cancel our outdoor plans. Please make it stop.

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Ooooh, I like this thread as I love Autumn! Thanks flat-top!

Looking forward to the trees turning colour (started already), many, many apples. Oh, and making pumpkin dishes of all sorts, from pies to soups - a little time consuming (and messy), but so worth it.
Love the cool, crisp air (*cough* it is still Toronto, after all :rolleyes: ), looking for the deer during my commute to work (!) - yes, deer, you read that right. I get to break out what little tweed I own (I think I look better in darker colours, too), and I love the sunrises / sunsets. As opposed to spring, I get fewer migraines at this time of year (the only reason for transitional seasons to suck, in my personal opinion).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn