Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Aero original contract A-2?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Hi;

I'm about to order an Aero A-2 and I'd like to know what original contracts you think are the best. They have 4 different shots of the Aero 42-15142-P, the 38-1711-P, 40-3785-P, "Unknown Maker" Contract No 1756, and the Bronco W535AC29191.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=militaryjackets

I like both, the Beacon N.Y. 42-15142-P and the Bronco contract. According to their web, a 1938 A-2 is more complex that a 1942 jacket. I like A-2 with smaller lapel collars and no baggy under the chest. What do you think would be my best bet?

I have an Aero Bronco that I love.
The '38 has a collar stand and different stitching, making it more "complex". I love both.
Some will tell you they're not as accurate as a Good Wear, but if that doesn't bug you, either will be great.
Good luck.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Hi Butte, thanks;

Well, in fact accuracy is not an issue for me because I'm going to request a couple of customizations :) I just want a good starting point.

Hey Butte - like the natural shape of your collar - is the A2 in your avator the cape skin A2 ?
- and is this the one who survived your washingmachine torture...? :washing:

Best wishes
WW

Capeskin, yes. NEVER washed a jacket. I've soaked the outside in hot water, but never did a wash.
This jacket had nothing done to it - it was the G-1 (USW) I did the hot water with. I also doused the HG-5 !60% wet and put in the dryer for a stint of ~10 minute cycles. Did wonders for it.
Cape and goat really don't need hot H2O, but it can bring out grain. It did on the G-1. All said, it's bet to just go out in the rain and let nature do it! :)

Oh - no, the collar is from the Buffalo jacket I missed out on. I should have my Steerhide HWM soon, so that might make up for it :)

Last edited:
Hi Butte;

Thanks for the pics :) Definitely Bronco contract looks outstanding.

You'll not go wrong with either - but many folks like the Bronco contract for good reason. Now, many of these choices are dependent on your body type. Be honest with yourself before choosing. The best thing I did was to lose 35lbs and get back into shape. JanSolo gave me grief for wearing those shirts that were way too big for me after the weight loss - rightly so. I didn't realize how bad they looked lol

Aerojoe

Practically Family
You'll not go wrong with either - but many folks like the Bronco contract for good reason. Now, many of these choices are dependent on your body type. Be honest with yourself before choosing. The best thing I did was to lose 35lbs and get back into shape. JanSolo gave me grief for wearing those shirts that were way too big for me after the weight loss - rightly so. I didn't realize how bad they looked lol

Hi Butte;

Actually, one of the reasons I want to go with Aero this time is because they are willing to customize measurements. I do a lot of sport, I'm wide at shoulders and chest but I have no belly at all. I own a couple of ELC A-2 and both of them are quite baggy for me, specially in the belly and lowerback area. Perhaps original A-2s were ok for 1930's or 1940's people, but definitely not for current body types ;-).

Within reason, I think JC at GW would do that too. But nothing wrong with Aero - I have four of them, and one for my son (B-3)
Bronco is excellent. I actually like all the Aero A-2's they offer, so flip a coin and get your order in!

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Hi Butte;

Actually, one of the reasons I want to go with Aero this time is because they are willing to customize measurements. I do a lot of sport, I'm wide at shoulders and chest but I have no belly at all. I own a couple of ELC A-2 and both of them are quite baggy for me, specially in the belly and lowerback area. Perhaps original A-2s were ok for 1930's or 1940's people, but definitely not for current body types ;-).

Take a look at Ollie's jacket http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ehide-after-a-year-of-wear&highlight=ollie+a2

It was what I wanted in an A2. Just got my 1938 Acme (Aero) from Goodwear and I love it. Very trim with very little blousing. I actually think that the original A2's were made for slimmer guys than the current body types ;)

JanSolo

Practically Family
The 38-17111 is the closest fitting contract Aero makes but this jacket is also quite short and very high in the armpit. It should only be worn by people who have the suitable physique for this specific pattern, i. e. slim and not too tall. If you are as tall as Ollie is (6 ft. 4 inches/ 194cm) you should order that jacket with at least two inches added to the body length. Due to the close fit in the armpit area this contract is not meant to be worn with much layering. Shirts, Polo shirts or thin single ply merino sweaters are ok but don't even think about a proper woollen sweater...

The 42 contract which is probably Aero's standard pattern is much more roomy and looks best on slightly stockier and heavier individuals. This is not a good starting point if you are slim and want a trim fitting jacket because even if you size down there will be a lot of leather around the waist and the back.

Some more info on the Bronco:

• Very trim and surprisingly long A2 which suits a tall and slim wearer best. Very easy to wear - creates a sharp silhouette. Very good compromise between a close fitting and comfortable jacket.
• Quite long, fairly large and pointed collar with dropping collar tips.
• Pocket flaps cut almost angular without the typical scalloped shape.
• Angled pocket corners, just like on the Navy G1 jacket.
• Epaulettes with characteristic top stitching.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
@Jan, you're selling me on the Bronco.

Any experience with the Aero 40-3785-P? The happy medium between the 38 and the 42?

The Bronco is great. Listen to Jan though - body types are important to try to match a contract on an A-2. What's your specs? Height, weight, etc?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I'm 5'10" 175lb, 40 chest, 15.5x34 dress shirt, 34 waist. I want slim profile, but still period accurate (to a point I guess). Ive owned a Dubow, monarch and 39 Werber.
Dubow was close to spot on fitwise, albeit about an inch and a half too short (measured out at about 24" length) and slighyly too wide of arm openings for my liking. The Werber on the other hand fealt like i was wearing a garbage bag!! The monarch by contrast is just about right for me, tho i got a 40 and probably could have done a 42 (tight, borderline short sleeves).

I'm trying to target the contract then the hide/knit combo. But it's hard cause I keep coming back to the Aero with the berry knits! However I think the 42 is going to be much baggier than I want, and @HighandDry's new 38 looks too tight/short for what I'm targeting. Thought the 40 might be perfect, but JC doesn't make one yet, and I am obsessed with the GWs at the moment :lol:

Going between the Bronco, Perry and 38 or 40 Aero. Hmm...

@butte, think I'm gonna bump your GW thread!

lol
I'm in the same boat buddy. Been back and forth for over a year on my GW order. I love JC's dark seal with berry for the Aero. OTOH, the '38 Aero and Perry are insane. The only thing to do is order one of each, but short of that - I do have to get my home repaired after all. :)
Put in your order (if you haven't) and decide later. H&D's '38 is not indicative of the fit. I believe he ordered it specifically that way, and the seal/berry is not "accurate" FWIW. As he's stated though, it's what HE wanted, so if HE is happy, it's money well-spent. Just don't want folks thinking that it's "the way it's supposed to be" as that does not exist!

Edward

Bartender
The 38-17111 is the closest fitting contract Aero makes but this jacket is also quite short and very high in the armpit. It should only be worn by people who have the suitable physique for this specific pattern, i. e. slim and not too tall. If you are as tall as Ollie is (6 ft. 4 inches/ 194cm) you should order that jacket with at least two inches added to the body length. Due to the close fit in the armpit area this contract is not meant to be worn with much layering. Shirts, Polo shirts or thin single ply merino sweaters are ok but don't even think about a proper woollen sweater...

The 42 contract which is probably Aero's standard pattern is much more roomy and looks best on slightly stockier and heavier individuals. This is not a good starting point if you are slim and want a trim fitting jacket because even if you size down there will be a lot of leather around the waist and the back.

Some more info on the Bronco:

• Very trim and surprisingly long A2 which suits a tall and slim wearer best. Very easy to wear - creates a sharp silhouette. Very good compromise between a close fitting and comfortable jacket.
• Quite long, fairly large and pointed collar with dropping collar tips.
• Pocket flaps cut almost angular without the typical scalloped shape.
• Angled pocket corners, just like on the Navy G1 jacket.
• Epaulettes with characteristic top stitching.

I've got two A2s - one Aero (their goat, in seal), and one ELC Roughwear (from memory). Both very similar fits, both 42 patterns to the best of my knowledge. They're more forgiving on my slowly diminishing waistline than my Thirties Halfbelt, certainly, but still what I would regard as "trim" compared to the modern, hip-hop style fits. A good option, I would suggest, for those of us who do carry our weight around the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn