Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to age an A-2

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hey all,

I am looking for the best way to age a Flight Suits russet horsehide A-2. It is a year or two old and has great wrinkles but the hide has a bright sheen to it. I would like to dull it down a bit. I have tried two seperate hot water baths. I left it in the rain for a few days. I tried drying it in the sun once. Once it dries it pops back up like new. Any ideas?
John

Peacoat

Bartender
There was a thread on a similar question a while back. But I don't think it was specifically about removing the sheen from a jacket.

What I have used when refinishing gun stocks and on leather projects to remove sheen is the finest steel wool available. It may be 000 but it has been a while since I used it, and I'm just not sure. Use a gentle touch, and you can remove as much of the gloss as you want. You may lose some of the waterproof nature of the finish, but it's a trade off. Go over the surface with a damp cloth when finished to remove the residue.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I agree with Dr, Greg. Wear it, enjoy it, and the wear will take care of itself. It's kind of like "relic' guitars vs. those which have been used for years and show wear from use. One of them is the real thing.

Harry Street

New in Town
Even though I'm new to this forum, I've had various A2 and similar jackets over the last 20+ years. Nothing beats the real quality of wearing it and giving it your own history.

I agree, wearing it while riding a motorcycle in all kinds of weather will really do the job though.

Horsehide, by its very nature, will be tough to age, and the sheen is function of the hide and the way it was processed. I've seen original issue horsehide A2's that still look only a fraction of their real age. You will probably be able to pass it on to your kids.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Open air driving will work, too!

Open air driving will work, too! Pick up mud wrestling and go into it with your jacket on. There are many ways to speed up the process, but I believe the jacket is a reflection of the wearer. A clean lifestyle wearer's jacket will reflect the wearer by its tidyness even when aged. Nothing wrong with this example if you value the fact that every jacket tells a honest story. You don't want your jacket to tell a story of intentional abuse only for effect. YMMV

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I agree that you should let it age naturally. But if you want to age it prematurely, check with the Indy gang over at Club Obi-Wan - there's a huge amount of expertise there on aging leather jackets.

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
I'll second the rag soaked with rubbing alcohol. I recently did this to a near-new condition jacket that had a pretty glossy protective coating. Applied lightly, the shiny coating will come right off. Heavier application will pull out some of the color, which is fine if you want an aged look, but you should be careful if not.

Mr. Scratch said:
I'll second the rag soaked with rubbing alcohol. I recently did this to a near-new condition jacket that had a pretty glossy protective coating. Applied lightly, the shiny coating will come right off. Heavier application will pull out some of the color, which is fine if you want an aged look, but you should be careful if not.
I've used rubbing alcohol to take the finish off holsters & scabbards before I dyed them a different color & re-applied the glossy finish...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran