Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot recommendations sought.

Hi all,
I'm looking to get a pair of boots. I have lots of boots in different styles, but I want something (not western/cowboy) on the more fashionable side for traveling this fall/winter to Europe.
Mostly wearing nice jeans and khaki type pants. Not sure what leather jackets will make the trip yet.
Been looking at Red Wing, Timberland and similar models.
Any good suggestions? Weather "proof" or resistant is a plus.

Thanks!

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Alden. Period. Price point is higher than the brands you mention but they are worth it.

You're in Pasadena? Make your way to Leather Soul Beverly Hills. Try on a bunch, ask Bryan what else they have coming in that can work for you.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi all,
I'm looking to get a pair of boots. I have lots of boots in different styles, but I want something (not western/cowboy) on the more fashionable side for traveling this fall/winter to Europe.
Mostly wearing nice jeans and khaki type pants. Not sure what leather jackets will make the trip yet.
Been looking at Red Wing, Timberland and similar models.
Any good suggestions? Weather "proof" or resistant is a plus.

Thanks!

I have for many years been happy with LL bean/chippewa boots (I called 'em yesterday & they said theyn still have some sizes, WTF) & their close enough models e.g.- Chippewa 20065 6 Boot Chocolate Apache & Chippewa Men's 6" Rugged Handcrafted Lace-Up Boot . And ANY boot is waterproof w/ the right treatment.

milan_19

New in Town
I want to get a pair of aldens but i dont know where to get them... How is the sizing?
Oh i forgot to mention Aldo, they also have good boots.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I want to get a pair of aldens but i dont know where to get them... How is the sizing?
Oh i forgot to mention Aldo, they also have good boots.

Sizing is quite variable - depends on the last on which the shoe is built. It is essential that you try on the different shoes to get a sense of how they will fit you. I believe Alden DC is on F St NW. Probably closest to you.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Hi Butte, My recommendation is to look at a pair of WESCO's or Whites. I am about 3 months into a pair of packer boots and 1 month into a pair of boss boots from WESCO and I love them. They are the most comfortable pair of footwear I have ever owned. I hear great things about whites, and from what I've read the construction and materials they use are similar to WESCO's, so I suspect that whites would be equally as comfortable.
I also own a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers and after breaking in my WESCO's, there is no comparing the two. Though my packers come in at $150 above my IR, its well worth it. The quark (or is it rubber?) soles on the IR leave my feet tiered after a day of standing/walking. Not the case in my WESCO's. My guess is a combination of getting a better sized boot and the leather soles. Better hurry both brands take awhile to get a pair built if you have to go the custom route like I did with my non standard foot width.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
The Danner Mountain Light is now a very popular choice for the fashion world.

I think if you are in the States, try to check that out, it is a good combination of fashion and
functiona-bility for some winter travellings in Europe (I think.....).

Jules

New in Town
I have a couple of pairs of R M Williams elastic sided boots very well made easy to put on and take off, comfortable and look good . They have a good range styles from working boots to dressier boots with leather or rubber soles but they are fairly pricey.
My other pricey choice is the Wolverine 1000 mile Addison boot another very well made boot and looks good too. I bought a pair last summer and had a thin rubber outsole glued to the leather sole to give it better grip in the wet .
You can do a search for either of these on the net and see what other people say about them i think they get good reviews from most.

Thanks guys. Lots of choices, but many just don't do ti for me, style-wise. I don't get the high-heels on some of these work/logger boots. Would seem to be a detriment, and I don't like the look.
I'm already 6'-4", so I don't need a tall heel.
Alden has a great rep, but again, the styling just misses for me. Maybe I'll head down to BH and try some on - thanks for the suggestion. I'm leaning towards the Red Wing, TImberland, and a few random models I've seen. The other chore is finding a 13/14.
Appreciate all the help. Have a great day.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Butte- certain lasts that wesco uses allow for a lower heel. Just call Pete in the custom fit department. He's great spends all the time I've needed on the phone with me to discuss options and answer questions I can't say enough great things about wesco.
I am new to wearing heels also and was apprehensive about doing so. I have a tall arch to my foot and was explained to me by Pete a taller heel adds arch support to the foot. I can attest to this as a taller heel has helped me. I don't find it now, awkward at all.
Another thing, if your foot size is something other than a 9, 10, or 11D it's all the more reason to call wesco or whites. Part of the thing that makes them special is to build a boot to fit your foot. I'm a 10A and can not for the life of me find a boot that fits. Redwing makes one or two models that were not really what I wanted, and were not much cheaper that my Wescos.

Last edited:

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
By them, it may have to be a custom job by them though not a stock model. I also agree the heels can be a bit much at times. If you see here a member had theirs lowered by 1/4inch but I'm sure more can be taken off but I've read this could effect size among other things.

Edward

Bartender
At the other end of the budget scale, I've always fancied a pair of repro WW2 era US Army Service Shoes - they certainly look sharp. Myself, I've travelled extensively in a pair of Cats I picked up on eBay NOS for GBP20 (full retail ten times that). They're like the later war roughouts, but taller (height of a jump boot, near enough). Wouldn't wear them with a suit, but great for travelling. Mine have been on quite a few trips, including China both in Summer and dead of Winter.

@ budrichard: Thanks - I'll check them out.

@ Edward: I have a pair of nice "roughout" WWII German lowboots from ATF. Great boots, but they're covered in dirt and Sno*Seal :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff