Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buco J23 Rear Inside Snap Function?

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,

Was looking at some pictures of vintage buco jackets and noticed a snap on the back of the jacket, managed to dig up a picture of the inside of the jacket and though I can't seem to find that picture now I've located a shot of the snap I'm talking about.

Jacket.jpg

On the inside there is what appears to be a belt loop, it's nearly identical to the two that sit adjacent to this snap but it's located inside the jacket. I was was curious as to it's function on the garment.

The only thing I can come up with is that it would attach to the wearer's belt thus keeping the jacket secured to the base of the wearers jeans preventing it from riding up during a slide. Is that what this snap is for or is there another purpose?

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
I think you're right. More modern motorcycle leathers often have half zipper in there, which is designed to attach to one on the top of leatherf trews. Same idea - stops the jacket riding up and exposing the lower back to the elements.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Agreed, it's definitely for securing to your pants. Helps both during slides or, in the case of a short jacket, as Edward noted, to just keep the cold from getting up inside the jacket.

Yep, what others have said, it's there to stop the jacket from riding up, or rather to keep it secured to the wearers pants and keep them in place as well, and of all the features of my Aero J106 - which is essentially a Buco D-pocket repro - this was something I've found most useful! I was thinking about it a lot, how pleasantly surprised I was with this feature and I really can't understand why it has mostly disappeared from modern repros. It really does a tremendous job of keeping your lower back entirely protected from the wind.

Some photos of the loop from the inside of the jacket: http://i1.wp.com/wearekoalasvintage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_1558-2.jpg?resize=620,930
http://wearekoalasvintage.com/2013/10/buco-leather-jacket-model-j-22-horsehide-1950s/

As Edward pointed out, many modern motorcycle jackets have a zipper installed for that purpose but for that to work, you'd have to have a compatible leather pants, usually from the same manufacturer of course which already complicates things, while this simple loop goes around just any belt and does the same job. Getting the loop around the pants belt can be a bit fussy at first but once you get used to it, it's really great stuff!

pawineguy

One Too Many
Great pics Monitor - it's easy to see from those pics that with the high rise pants that people wore then, and the bottom of the jacket just securing to the belt-line, that the very short lengths perfectly suited their purpose. Modern jackets tend to be made longer and that inside loop (that I've seen) tends to be built higher up inside the jacket to reflect that change.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Yep, what others have said, it's there to stop the jacket from riding up, or rather to keep it secured to the wearers pants and keep them in place as well, and of all the features of my Aero J106 - which is essentially a Buco D-pocket repro - this was something I've found most useful! I was thinking about it a lot, how pleasantly surprised I was with this feature and I really can't understand why it has mostly disappeared from modern repros. It really does a tremendous job of keeping your lower back entirely protected from the wind.

Some photos of the loop from the inside of the jacket: http://i1.wp.com/wearekoalasvintage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_1558-2.jpg?resize=620,930
http://wearekoalasvintage.com/2013/10/buco-leather-jacket-model-j-22-horsehide-1950s/

As Edward pointed out, many modern motorcycle jackets have a zipper installed for that purpose but for that to work, you'd have to have a compatible leather pants, usually from the same manufacturer of course which already complicates things, while this simple loop goes around just any belt and does the same job. Getting the loop around the pants belt can be a bit fussy at first but once you get used to it, it's really great stuff!

Thanks Monitor, that's actually the picture I was referring to where I first saw the loop! Seems like it would be very functional as I prefer the shorter jacket length but wouldn't want to sacrifice protection for it. I've got a jacket on order from Hillside USA who offers extensive customization options, once I get the sample jacket I was going to send it back to have snaps installed to take my Schott fur collar...might just have them add an inside belt loop while they're at it!

If it's a shorter jacket, do it. You won't regret it. It doesn't push into your back or anything when you sit down, you don't even know it's there and it's super useful.
Iron, please post a review of the Hillside jacket once it arrives, I've always wanted to hear more about their jackets as they seem to have some really cool and quality stuff.

Pawineguy, I was carefully examining those photos yesterday and... I mean, it is a beautiful jacket but man, machining is all over the place. Look at the D-pocket flap snap button. Compared to modern repros, that's a pretty shoddy work, people here would without any doubt complain about. Heh...

pawineguy

One Too Many
If it's a shorter jacket, do it. You won't regret it. It doesn't push into your back or anything when you sit down, you don't even know it's there and it's super useful.
Iron, please post a review of the Hillside jacket once it arrives, I've always wanted to hear more about their jackets as they seem to have some really cool and quality stuff.

Pawineguy, I was carefully examining those photos yesterday and... I mean, it is a beautiful jacket but man, machining is all over the place. Look at the D-pocket flap snap button. Compared to modern repros, that's a pretty shoddy work, people here would without any doubt complain about. Heh...

Haha, I totally agree. Jackets in the repro market are much better constructed than the originals. (and that example is a vaunted Buco no less) A certain A-2 maker advertises one of their jackets as being more like the originals, because the stitching is purposely not perfectly done, etc... as they would have been when trying to make thousands at a time.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars

Definitely will, been trying to dig up more information about them ever since my friend purchased their brown horsehide d pocket last year but it seems like they're completely off the grid. Can't find anything outside of a few posts on HDForums.com on their company/quality etc... Jacket is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I'll post pictures and an initial review on Sunday.

Edward

Bartender

I suppose it's because most of these jackets now sell to folks who don't ride. There are classic bike folks who will ride in old school jackets, but I think it's a fair bet they're a pretty small proportion of bikers nowadays (unless, of course, Aero or LW sell a lot of Buco replicas to the outlaw biker gangs, as they do seem to stick with the old styles mostly), and make up a small proportion of those buying these designs. If you don't need it for that reason and don't care about accuracy, I can see how it's just easier not to have it....

Haha, I totally agree. Jackets in the repro market are much better constructed than the originals. (and that example is a vaunted Buco no less) A certain A-2 maker advertises one of their jackets as being more like the originals, because the stitching is purposely not perfectly done, etc... as they would have been when trying to make thousands at a time.

It's funny how imperfection becomes desirable, or a marketing tool, depending upon opinion, innit? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80