Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft or Federation?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm trying to chose between a Campdraft or a standard felt Federation.

Is the felt of the standard Fed about the same as the Campdraft?

I just want a light felt with a wide brim. The fed has a good crown size and a nicer shaped brim, but I prefer the bound Campdraft brim.

I do not want the Fed to look anything like an Indy and would give it my own look.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Campdraft has a wider, bound brim and a little taller crown w/o much taper. It's a bigger hat. I wouldn't call the felt light, but it softens up nicely. Here's a little side to side for a comparison.

FedIV_carb_sd_2-1.jpg

IMG_3462-1-1-2.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
I have a standard Fed IV and a Campdraft. The felt seems similar and I agree with Chuck that the Campdraft it is a "bigger" hat. I tend to reach for the Fed more that the Campdraft but that is more for colour co-ordination with my more frequently worn winter outerwear. If I had the fawn colour Campdraft I would be in a real quandry as to which one to put on. They are both terrific lids and I had them both on today.

Perhaps the real question is which hat do you want to purchase first? [huh]

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Seb Lucas said:
I'm trying to chose between a Campdraft or a standard felt Federation.

Is the felt of the standard Fed about the same as the Campdraft?

I just want a light felt with a wide brim. The fed has a good crown size and a nicer shaped brim, but I prefer the bound Campdraft brim.

I do not want the Fed to look anything like an Indy and would give it my own look.

Both of these lids would be Akubra's Imperial felt.

Go for the Campdraft since you wisely appreciate the bound brim. My tauny Campdraft has served me through hell, high water, low water, good and bad business decisions and it still fits.

I have yet to notice how it works against hand grenades.

I don't wear a Fed lV yet so I can't comment on how it works against hand grenades either...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks

Thanks all. I have a Campdraft already so I know what they are like. Problem is mine has been chewed to shit by moths.

I just wanted to know if the Fed was heavy compared to the Campdraft. I tend the wear the hat in hot weather mostly and do not wear Panamas. I consider the Campdraft a light hat.

I would probably remove the ribbon from the Fed beacuse I don't like that look very much. But I really like the Fed's crown shape. I'd put a thin ribbon on it instead.

Hell, I've decided. I'll get the Campdraft - the photos here made up my mind.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Seb Lucas said:

I would probably remove the ribbon from the Fed beacuse I don't like that look very much. But I really like the Fed's crown shape. I'd put a thin ribbon on it instead.

Hell, I've decided. I'll get the Campdraft - the photos here made up my mind.

Good choice on the Campdraft, Seb Lucas. But if you ever decide to put a thin ribbon on the Fed, beware of Indycop. He might just pull you over so he can try it on. :rolleyes:

lol

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just ordered a grey Campdaft from Hats Direct. Should be here tomorrow. I already had the fawn one and I really liked the look of Chuck's hat. Thanks Chuck!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Seb Lucas said:
Just ordered a grey Campdaft from Hats Direct. Should be here tomorrow. I already had the fawn one and I really liked the look of Chuck's hat. Thanks Chuck!

You bet Seb, the grey Campdraft is a favorite of mine, the carbon Fed is another. I took the liner out of my tawny Campdraft, that might help make it cooler for your hot weather down under. Congrats on the CD, it's a great hat!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Seb Lucas said:

THANKS! Rub in the fact that you get your Hats Direct orders this quick! [bad] :p

I like both my Campdraft and Fed, matter of fact, I wore both today.

Randy

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
theinterchange said:
THANKS! Rub in the fact that you get your Hats Direct orders this quick! [bad] :p

I like both my Campdraft and Fed, matter of fact, I wore both today.

Randy

I was thinking the same thing about that shipping ETA! :) That's a great bash on your Fed in the other thread.

VickHick

New in Town
I have a Campdraft and a FED 4. But the hat i reach for the most these days has been my Banjo Patterson. Love the way it fits and the inside band is very nice. The outer band on the hat is not for everybody, but I love it. Very outdoorsey.

Tone

A-List Customer
Between these two, the Campdraft.

Definitely take the time to switch the ribbon on a Campdraft if it's down to these two choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot