Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Capes/Cloaks

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
TraderRic said:
It is still in the Navy uniform inventory as an optional item for officers.
"Optional" presumably meaning "as appropriate and/or approved by higher-ups". I assume no officer below flag rank actually gets to make a choice as to any uniform item they personally will wear or not wear.

Tony C

New in Town
finding the FDR cape

Took a long and exhausting trip through pages of google results, but you might speed it up if you go to navy uniform pages, etc. Keep refining the search and you'll find a uniform maker with that cape available new. Any idea where I can find the wool cape I'm seeking, with the red lining and the peacoat buttons??
good luck!
-Tony C:(

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
"Optional" presumably meaning "as appropriate and/or approved by higher-ups". I assume no officer below flag rank actually gets to make a choice as to any uniform item they personally will wear or not wear.

Meaning it's not a required item for anyone. If I have it, I can wear it to the Navy Ball or I could wear a bridge coat or even a rain coat depending on the weather. They are not making Ensigns purchase a $500 cloak that most will never wear. That's what we are issued the all weather coat for (most of us call it a trash bag).

:eek:fftopic: There are also other items that are optional until you are a cirtain rank. You are not required to have a sword or mess uniforms unless you are a Lieutenant Commander or above. I suppose it is due to cost and functions that you would attend at the higher ranks. In fact there is even a tail coat for the mess blues that is required as needed for Captains and Flags that is probably never seen outside of DC and foreign embassies.

Haversack

One Too Many
Another occassion in which you will see formal whites and swords on US Naval officers in during commissioning ceremonies. Back in 2002, I did a double-take one Saturday morning coming back from the farmers' market down by the Ferry Building in San Francisco. Standing on a street corner, (Embarcadero and Brannan), were a group of about 5 US Navy officers in dress whites with their swords belted on. It struck me as being really odd as almost all the military was stripped out of the Bay Area during the 1980s and 90s. Later that day, I found out that it was for the commissioning ceremony for the USS McCampbell (DDG 85). She was commissioned in San Francisco at the request of her first captain.

Haversack.

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Marine Corps Boat Cloak?

For reasons that would take a long time to explain, I'm trying to find a quality boat cloak, preferably a Marine Corps (officers?) model with the scarlet lining.

Searches turn up nothing useful. Are these still made? How would a poor sad-sack civilian locate one, either new or vintage?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
thunderw21 said:
Nice!
Now, you know what must be done... :)
His camera must be on the fritz, he's been sittin' on that sucker for prit' near a month.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It's flawless. Not a nip or fray. Listed on eBay as a nurse's cape. The flash photos made the burgundy liner look like bright red satin. It was a gamble but sometimes you are, in fact, the windshield.

I'll post a picture as soon as I get the stones to wear it. :eek:

scotrace said:
It's flawless. Not a nip or fray. Listed on eBay as a nurse's cape. The flash photos made the burgundy liner look like bright red satin. It was a gamble but sometimes you are, in fact, the windshield.

I'll post a picture as soon as I get the stones to wear it. :eek:

Put on the tux, black homburg, sport a cane and complete the look with a cigar in mouth. ;) If that won't make you feel like wearing it then nothing else will. :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, I've been searching for one of WWII manufacture since Marc started this thread, and the one I got is the third I have seen come up in two+ years of daily (auto) searching.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
The classic boat cloak

Try Abbots. They are a privately owned company that makes tailored uniforms for the Navy and Marine Corps. They are located in Pensacola Florida. You wouldn't get a WWII original, but it would be identical. Naval Officers wear their swords for ceremony only these days. Be it a ships commissioning, wedding, change of command or retirements. I have never seen anyone wear a boat cloak.

Geesie

Practically Family
The boat cloak is part of the mess dress blue uniform. You are more likely, however, to see it on a Marine - and even then it's rare. I cannot find one anywhere; the bridge coat is easier to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner