Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Capes/Cloaks

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
It was a standard item, which made FDR even cooler for adopting it. (Remember that during World War I, he was Secretary of the Navy.)

FDR, may have used a cape for more practical reasons than just style and his former position assistant Navy secretary. A cape with the right cut is a great cool weather garment for wheelchair users. I use a wheelchair about 50% of the time and found that capes are perfect for cooler weather.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I got myself a nice wool cape from Casco Bay Woolens a couple of years ago, and have never had the nerve/found the appropriate occasion to wear it. It's a nice heavy black blanket material, with black lining. But it seems like it's always a little too cool or a little too warm for it. And trust me, with the yahoos I work with, I ain't wearing it to work or on the subway any time soon. But I still love it. Maybe some day. The cape and the top hat.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lovely Leah said:
FDR, may have used a cape for more practical reasons than just style and his former position assistant Navy secretary. A cape with the right cut is a great cool weather garment for wheelchair users.
I too believe he chose the cape for function over form.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^^^^

It looks like it's in pristine condition. When do you have occasion to wear it?

bstrickmma

New in Town
Tomasso said:
It looks like it's in pristine condition. When do you have occasion to wear it?

Well the officer I bought it from only wore it like 4-5 times. I've worn mine to a Holiday Ball and a Marine Corps Ball (as outerwear for my evening/dinner dress uniform).

While I don't think I could get away wearing w/ a business suit ala FDR, I'd have no problem wearing w/ a tux or to the opera, etc. if the occasion arose though. :D

Maguire

Practically Family
South American leaders had a thing for capes too, i've got a great picture of Augusto Pinochet wearing one, and likewise for Juan Peron. Say what you will about their politics or the kind of person pinochet was (i personally dislike him myself), but the cape really does something. I'll post it as soon as i dig it up.

Maguire

Practically Family
here it is :
jo98.jpg

I know alot of these guys like to just wear greatcoats wrapped around them like capes without using the sleeves but this Juan Peron pic is definitely a cape:
peron_esposa.jpg

image122.jpg

bstrickmma

New in Town
FWIW, the South American countries are also the most "Europeanized" as well. I'm not surpised to see their El Commandante's fancy capes and cloaks. :D

I agree, say what you want about their politics, but they look good.

huckfinne

New in Town
There's one on ebay right now (EDIT - NO LIVE AUCTIONS PLEASE - but welcome to The Fedora Lounge)
That's where I got mine with a final bid of about $300.

Otium

New in Town
I looked at that one too. Auction ends in about 6 hours but it is about three inches too short for my height and I just don't think I could bring myself to cope with such a heinous flaw!

Tiller

Practically Family
Even though it's against the rules to talk politics, let me say just for general info out there that I am a Republican, and my family on my mothers side (the side I agree with most on these issues) have been Republican since coming to this country only voting Democrat during the elections of Grover Cleveland (we have strange family history discussions at time lol). So perhaps you should take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I never liked FDR's look at the Yalta Conference. I don't think it's do to my general dislike of the man, but more for the fact that he had a better style during the 30's, and by this time his health was by far going the other way. Every time I see those pictures it looks to me as if he is on death's doorstep, especially when you compare him to how he looked when he was campaigning against Hoover.

I thought I saw some of him in his younger days wearing a similar cape, where he pulls the look off much better, but maybe I was imagining things. Anyways just my opinion.

Regards,
Tiller

Tiller said:
but I never liked FDR's look at the Yalta Conference. I don't think it's do to my general dislike of the man, but more for the fact that he had a better style during the 30's, and by this time his health was by far going the other way. Every time I see those pictures it looks to me as if he is on death's doorstep, especially when you compare him to how he looked when he was campaigning against Hoover.

Your obervations mirror some of Churchill's comments. Churchill found his mind to be cloudy and slow at the time and his logic far from spot on. Perhaps it was an omen of things to come. Perhaps he should have sent someone else in his stead. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ