Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captain America

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Edward, I think it was probably more that the almost entirely Jewish staff at Timely/Marvel (publisher Martin Goodman, artist/writers Kirby and Simon, then-gofer-but-soon-to-be-editor Stan Lee, etc.) wanted to punch Hitler themselves.

It wasn't lost on the US Jewish community what had been happening to their European relatives, and many were anxious for action before the US entered the conflict. My own father enlisted in the Army Air Corps several months before Pearl Harbor because he knew war was inevitable, and as a Jew, he already hated the Nazis.

Addendum: Personally, I'm happy to see that Cap also wears his classic cloth costume at some point in the film - I'm not especially impressed by the "more realistic" take on the costume:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167569-captain-american-in-his-uso-costume

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Ah, I wasn't aware of the Jewish connection, but that makes sense. On the costume front, I much prefer the other version. That said, the USO one in the photo to which you link looks great in its context, a morale exercise for the troops. I like how they seem to be thinking on this.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Re the Jewish connection and the comic books, check out Michael Chabon's brilliant The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, if you haven't already. An outstanding novel that anybody vaguely interested in Golden Age comics and thirties-fifties New York City (and beyond) should love.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Doc,
that is one of my favorite novels. Plus the Hero Complex Poster is a work of art, I wish that was the official poster for the film.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Aint it cool has a great behind the scenes look at Cap's Shield.
Enjoy! Also I dig how Norton Anti-Virus sponsored the video.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUb-zH-5Xvw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Edward

Bartender
Re the Jewish connection and the comic books, check out Michael Chabon's brilliant The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, if you haven't already. An outstanding novel that anybody vaguely interested in Golden Age comics and thirties-fifties New York City (and beyond) should love.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I need to catch up on Batman too - I picked up Batman and Robin Must Die in DC last week, and while I got it enough to follow, there's obviously a lot of backstory I've missed.

Love the new images from Captain America; shield looks great.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I might even venture to the theater to see this one. I see it features Sgt. Nick Fury and The Howling Commandos, a Marvel group that has not had their own movie yet. In issue # 13 of The Howling Commandos, Sgt. Fury and his squad actually did fight along side of The Captain.
Not many Marvel comics that have not become movies now.
Doctor Strange is the only one that comes to mind. I would think they would have done The Doctor by now, as it could make for a good movie, depending upon who does it of course.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I believe that the Howling Commandos who will appear in this film aren't going to be led by Nick Fury. After all, he's played by Samuel Jackson, and the Army was segregated then: black officers didn't lead white troops in WWII. (Of course, Lee and Kirby themselves originally added African-American Private Gabe Jones to the Commandos knowing this firsthand as veterans, but they were progressive liberals and *wished* things had been integrated, and it was important to them to get the message into kids' hands.)

OTOH, I may be totally wrong: we live in a politically correct era, and this is a fantasy film - if you can accept super soldier serums and vita-rays, why not have an integrated force?

And re Doctor Strange - a topic I can speak on with some authority! - there have already been two *bad* adaptations: a 70s TV pilot and a recent animated film. But given the success of Marvel's recent movies, the Doctor is slated to get a feature one of these days, along with most of the other "second-string" Marvel heroes. The sure handling of "magic" in the recent Thor film indicates that just *maybe* they'll get it right this time. By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth, I hope so!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I saw in one moment in the trailer a person who looked like a young Samuel L Jackson next to WWII era Cap, so his character may show up during WWII... now what that does to his character's age makes things very wonky but who cares! It's a comic book movie and that would actually be accurate to Nick Fury.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Didn't they eventually give Nick Fury "the infinity formula" to explain how he could have been in combat in WWII but was still a hearty middle-aged guy in the S.H.I.E.L.D. timeframe?

This wasn't necessary when Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. began in the sixties and it was only 20 years later, but even with Marvel's sliding timescale (where Fantastic Four #1 is "always ten years ago"), Fury was still a guy who'd been in the war. (I'm not sure how they have explained that Reed Richards and Ben Grimm had also been there - they were in the OSS, which was stated more than once in the early days - yet all Reed has was those gray temples! Has Marvel retconned their OSS experience out of existence by now?)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I am not up to snuff on my lore Doc, my only response can be a shoulder shrug... so

(*shugs shoulders*)

I'm sure they'll do it right.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
As I recall,there was a made for TV movie back in the 90's. Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Not the greatest, and most likely a left over pilot for a series that maybe didn't get picked up. However, it starred David Hasselhoff in the title role, and he actually did a great job of bringing the character to life, even in that limited venue.
My question is,....who would play Doctor Strange in any big screen version that might come out?
George Clooney comes to my mind, but what do you say Doc? Who do you see playing "you" in a film?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Off hand... Edward Norton, Viggo Mortensen, Rupert Everett, Christian Bale (thought I doubt he'd want to play another superhero - same with Hugh Jackman)... Somebody not too young (Strange is already in his 30s when he starts learning magic), and a good enough actor to project the gravitas required for the Sorceror Supreme.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The CAPTAIN

Could someone PLEASE post that HOT :eusa_clap period girls chorus line/song scene photos??? Thanks Solid Citizen :cool:

Fun flic & LOVED the period set dressing/costumes etc.!!!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I saw it Friday night and wow, just wow. I cannot believe what a great film that was. Everything was note perfect, the crazy over the top Hydra weapons and vehicles, Cap's outfit (USO version and Combat version), Weaving's Red Skull and his amazing accent, Howard Stark basically being the Marvel universes equivalent of Howard Hughes (anyone notice his slight Texas accent?) All the gorgeous women dressed to the nines.

I could not have asked for a better film. I think this is the best comic book film I've seen since the Dark Knight. Oh and did anyone notice the Human Torch (not Chris Evans) was in the film for just a moment? I'm talking about the golden era version Torch, who was a synthetic human being that would catch fire when exposed to oxygen. He was visible in his glass dome just before Steve and Bucky watch Stark's presentation at the world's fair. I geeked right out.

Oh and one other thing "So you two... fondue?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo