Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic softdrinks - NuGrape and Nesbitt’s Orange-Flavoured Soda Pop

TidiousTed

Practically Family
116856_nug3_thumb.jpg

NuGrape is a brand of grape-flavoured soda pop. The NuGrape brand was invented in 1906, first bottled in 1921, and by April 1933, The National NuGrape Company was founded in Atlanta, Georgia. In 1922, licensing rights were sold to the Olla Bottling Works in Olla, Louisiana where it was made and distributed for many years. NuGrape was followed up by the popular Sun Crest brand of soft drinks in 1938. In 1965, the National NuGrape Company introduced Kickapoo Joy Juice, a product based on Al Capp’s Li’l Abner comic strip. All three brands were acquired in 1968 by The Moxie Company (renamed Moxie-Monarch-NuGrape Company and later Monarch Beverage Company). In 1970, Moxie-Monarch-NuGrape discontinued domestic U.S. sales of Kickapoo Joy Juice.

116855_nes3_thumb.jpg

The Nesbitt’s Fruit Products Company was founded in 1924, named after its founder Hugh S. Nesbitt. The Nesbitt’s brand debuted in 1927, initially as part of the company’s line of soda fountain-products. Nesbitt’s began bottling Nesbitt’s orange in either 1938 or the following year, putting it in direct competition with established market-leader Orange Crush.Nesbitt’s became the U.S. market leader of orange soda pop during the late 1940s and 1950s, with advertisements featuring a then-unknown model named Marilyn Monroe (1946) and proclaiming itself to be the "Largest selling bottled orange drink in the world". Nesbitt’s own brand of orange beverage was surpassed in popularity by Fanta in the 1960s and faded in popularity. In 1972, the company was sold to The Clorox Company, and in April 1975, the bottling operation was sold to Moxie Industries, Inc. (now Monarch Beverage) of Atlanta.

Anyone have a memory, like or dislike connected to one of or both these two classic soft drinks I would love to hear it. You could either post it as a an answer to this thread, mail me or post it as a reply to to the soft drink posts on my blog - Ted

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
Nesbitt's sodas were pretty popular here in the midwest when I was a kid back in the 60's. One of the few positive memories I have of my dad was having strawberry floats with Nesbitt's strawberry soda and vanilla ice cream. Good stuff!

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Thanks for your comment fortworthgal, they are all very welcome and makes my Soft Drink Project much more fun to work with :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21