Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clip-on Bow Ties

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Although I would NEVER wear a clip-on necktie, I have dozens of vintage clip-on bowties in unique colors and patterns that one could never find in tie-your-self bowties. I know some men are pretty hard-core about wearing only the ones you tie...heck, there's probably a website and forum for them...but I plan to attend a formal event in the near future and the bowtie that will go best with my outfit is a clip-on. I have plenty of the tie-your-self ones, but they are just solid colors and boring patterns...nothing exciting. Any thoughts?

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
A good number of 1940's swing bow ties I've seen on Ebay when they do come up for auction are clip ons. Tucker Carlson & George Will could both use some of these bow ties to up-swing (sic) their 2005 images! Peter ;)

Michaelson

One Too Many
I've seen more NOS clip-on bowties in their original 40s/50's boxes on my antique store outings than the tie yourself type. Though frowned upon by the purists, you'd be as right as rain if you're a period dresser wearing a clip-on.

They're running about $5 a pop over here. What are they on ebay?

Regards! Michaelson

Mycroft

One Too Many
Maybe they are so common is because people never wore them and thought they wer unfationable. ;) I am not a big fan of anything, but the real thing (tie on), where they popular back then?

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Yuck

Flitcraft said:

Please don't. There were clip-on suspenders then, too, but that doesn't warrant wearing them. Lots of great fabrics out there today that mimic those old fabrics in real bowties. But a new one if you can't find vintage. Just my opinion... maybe I'm a Tucker wannabe:cool: :cool:

Michaelson

One Too Many
Mycroft said:
Maybe they are so common is because people never wore them and thought they wer unfationable. ;) I am not a big fan of anything, but the real thing (tie on), where they popular back then?

I know when I was growing up in the 50's, that was all WE had to wear, and I didn't know anyone who tied their own until the 1970's, so unpopular or not, they were a standard of the era, and no amount of revisionist history can change that[huh] .

Regards! Michaelson

Mycroft

One Too Many
Michaelson said:
I know when I was growing up in the 50's, that was all WE had to wear, and I didn't know anyone who tied their own until the 1970's, so unpopular or not, they were a standard of the era, and no amount of revisionist history can change that[huh] .

Regards! Michaelson

Wow, I guess my Grandpa has a few lying around.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
Then I would just say that there are some elements of vintage fashion which are best abandoned.

Good point. I converted my 1950 Plymouth from 6 volt to 12 volt, as it's MUCH more efficient.... not period correct, but it sure works better!

Regards! Michaelson

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Update:

I work with the wife of a city alderman who's known for his bow ties. He's going to give me a lesson on how to tie them. So I guess those nasty clip-ons are staying in their plastic boxes.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Bogeycopy.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
My grandfather used to wear bowties all the time. He always wore the kind you tie yourself. I didn't realize they made clip on ones until several years after his death.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Not a big fan of any clip on tie. I kind of rank them up there with the dickie and a bad toupee. They don't fool anyone. But hey, that's just my two cents.

Cheers!

Dan

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Well, I have about 30 clip ons from the 50?Ǭ¥s and I just love wearing them.
If you want a real 40?Ǭ¥s or 50?Ǭ¥s look with minimum effort a cool skinny clip on will do the job for you. I wear them to work a lot and even if the shirt aint very authentic the bow tie will make up for it. So I just put on a good pair of chinos ( LVC 1954 or K-1) a shirt, my indispensable Akubra 1954 sportsman hat and my aero A-2 AND a nice clip on and away I go.........
I actually prefer 50?Ǭ¥s clip ons to ties, that?Ǭ¥s just me though.....

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
I know I have been quiet for a while but still around......I picked up a bag of 40-50's clip ons.....I wear em occasionally if I had a real one I might try it but till I do the clip ons work.....remember if it looks good and looks authentic your covered....I doubt many vintage purist are wearing vintage underware as well.......

Michaelson

One Too Many
What I remember best about clip on bow ties is that I had to wear one in the first big band I played in. We were called the Vestettes, and wore bright red vests with band patch on the left chest, white shirts, black trousers and shoes, and black clip on bow ties. Played for dances and the like.
We looked spiffy on the bandstand, but without the vests on, we looked like a bunch of waiters.:rolleyes: ;)

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran