Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collegiate Look HELP!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since I couldn't find a pair of elusive white flannel pants, I improvised: I found a cheap pair of white cotton brushed chinos, (pleated and cuffed of course), and had the belt loops made narrower and lower by my tailor. They look period perfect now!
But now what to wear with them?! Besides sweaters, what else completes this look? And, since I live in the North East and winter is soon approaching, is this a cold weather look?
My expertise lies in the late 40's, early 50's, and this is an earlier look that I'm going for. Help me you experts out there!
flat-top

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
FT,
The chill will be descending upon the university soon. Perhaps a coon, buffalo, or bear fur coat will help with your Joe College look. Sears Roebuck offered a dog fur version in the late 20's as well. Perfect for the bleachers at the Columbia/Princeton game.
However, the fur will probably garner no brownie points with the young ladies of Barnard or Sarah Lawrence these days.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Veronica Parra said:

Huh? They appear on eBay all the time: at least once a month. Or did you mean that it's difficult to find them in your size?

(Remember that "white flannel" is in fact cream.)

Wow, I must be missing the things. I have never seen a pair on ebay, I wish I did though, white/cream is my favorite color to wear.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Vladimir Berkov said:
Wow, I must be missing the things. I have never seen a pair on ebay, I wish I did though, white/cream is my favorite color to wear.

Comrade Berkov, when you get to eBay's "vintage" section ...

For some reason, most of the vintage white flannel trousers sold on eBay are from the early to mid 1930s. Often they have an NRA (National Recovery Administration) tag, dating them to between 1933 and 1935. White flannel trousers (on eBay) from this period are typically:

-- in a smaller size (28-32)

-- high-waisted

-- with a button-fly

-- with a plain front (no pleats)

-- with slant pockets

-- with legs that fit close to the thigh and flare at the knee, giving them a somewhat "Saturday Night Fever" look. I personally don't like the way they fit.

-- with moth bites that go partly through the fabric, but not deeply enough to have made holes.

Expect to pay between $10 and $60 for them. Naturally, the larger sized trousers go for the highest prices. Good luck!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Here are some photos. This particular model has side buckles: not typical, but they can be found.

Note the slant pockets, button fly, flat front, and slightly flaring legs.

42_1_b.jpg

44_1_b.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I don't mind wide cuffs (not sure about flared pants though) and I wear size 33 pants with a 30 inch inseam so the size probably won't be a huge problem. The thing is that cream flannels are just basically impossible to find as a modern pant.

If I ever get the cash I am going to have my tailor make me an early-20s British style cream flannel suit. I need one for graduation but that is 2.5 years away so I still have time...

Nick Charles

Practically Family
sing boys

here's a pic of some college guys in their cream flannels and navy blazers. Look close at the guy sitting and notice how fuzzy his pants are.

college22ja.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick Charles said:
here's a pic of some college guys in their cream flannels and navy blazers. Look close at the guy sitting and notice how fuzzy his pants are.

college22ja.jpg
Ok, I defy anyone to find a pair of THESE on Ebay!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass