Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crocodile Dundee hat

rick5150

One of the Regulars
From MattDeckard on IndyGear:

Please post this hat on the Fedora lounge. We'd love to see a bit of variety. Wish we could get some pith helmet owners over there too. They look great with a linen suit or safari jacket.

Does the Dundee hat have the teeth?

CrocRickSepia1.jpg

Here you go Matt. I hope this helps. I don't have a pith helmet though. I have to draw the "self-conscious" line somewhere. I can't imagine walking around in public with one of those on any more than I would wear a sombrero.

Sergei

Gone Home
Rick,
You look like a bad a**. Keep up the good work. I know I wouldn't mess with you if I saw in the forest. I like it. And you picked up the teeth on ebay? Hmmmm....

-Sergei

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Rick,
You look like a bad a**. Keep up the good work. I know I wouldn't mess with you if I saw in the forest. I like it. And you picked up the teeth on ebay? Hmmmm....

Sergei,

You are half right. I look like an a**;) Problem is, I was almost 40 before I began enjoying myself. I am having fun and that is all I care about. The hats and such are done for my own amusement, although I can't argue that they have amused others at times.

The teeth came with some type of official license. I can't remember if it was that they were taken from crocodiles that lost their teeth due to gingivitis or something. No crocodiles were harmed during the making of this hatband...

What do you want for $25?

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback as this hat was my first departure from the Indy hat. I really like it though.

What other hats are adventurous? I would like to start a collection of screen hats. Heck, I already have two different styles... Ten hats and two styles. I think I am in a rut :)

To piggyback a posting, I am looking for other screen accurate jackets as well. Fonzie, James Dean, etc. My dream would be a nice authentic A-2 in size 38. I was recently watching one on eBay and it shot up to over $700 in less than a day. I am waiting for the flea market jacket or yard sale jacket...

Any ideas? Peter can make an A-2, but not in horsehide, which I really wanted...

Sergei

Gone Home
Feelling adventurous

Yeah, I have an Aussie hat too, a Snowy River. I have a few Stetson western hats (silver belly and black felt).

BTW, Flight Suits makes an awesome Historical A-2 in Horsehide. I got one earlier this year in Russett. I absolutely love it.

-S

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I have an Aussie hat too, a Snowy River. I have a few Stetson western hats (silver belly and black felt).

I had a Snowy River! I couldn't get uset to the proportions and sent it to Fedora. It now looks like an Indy hat :confused: A really good Indy hat too. I like the way it took the block better than the Federations. It may take a while to get out of that "Indy" mindset :)

Are the A-2's built as the old ones were? I had an old A-2 that I loved and it fit like a glove. None of this "blousy fit" crap. Nice and form-fitting. The horsehide was good and stiff and once it was broken in, it fit terrifically! You can't beat horsehide.

Thanks,

LNBright

New in Town
I don't have a pith helmet though. I have to draw the "self-conscious" line somewhere. I can't imagine walking around in public with one of those on any more than I would wear a sombrero

LOL!!!

I just got a pith helmet about a month before I made it back to COW.....

I got it explicitly for the purpose of wearing it when driving the Series Land Rover once I finish rebuilding it. I thought about getting 5 of them and leaving them in the seats, making it a requirement that you had to wear the pith helmet as we (the family) ride around in it...

Unfortunately, I was out-voted on it..... lol.... So, only the driver will be wearing one......

-Leslie

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
When I was a kid I would have killed for a real pith helmet. Once—at about nine years—I bought one at a drugstore, but it was all one piece molded something, pugaree and all, and though I was a kid, they couldn't fool me. I'd been to too many Tarzan movies. Recently at a fleam market I found on in my size, made in India, the real thing. But when I saw myself in a mirror I felt so ridiculous that I didn't buy it. I've just reached the point where I'm bold enough to wear Western hats at the flea market. It's a place where people really get outlandish costumes sometimes. Considering how conservative I've been most of my life, wearing a cowboy hat in public is a big step forward. One thing about getting old, aside from the senior discounts, is that most oldtimers no longer give much of a damn how they look. lol

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Still pplepic said:
When I was a kid I would have killed for a real pith helmet. Once—at about nine years—I bought one at a drugstore, but it was all one piece molded something, pugaree and all, and though I was a kid, they couldn't fool me. I'd been to too many Tarzan movies. Recently at a fleam market I found on in my size, made in India, the real thing. But when I saw myself in a mirror I felt so ridiculous that I didn't buy it. I've just reached the point where I'm bold enough to wear Western hats at the flea market. It's a place where people really get outlandish costumes sometimes. Considering how conservative I've been most of my life, wearing a cowboy hat in public is a big step forward. One thing about getting old, aside from the senior discounts, is that most oldtimers no longer give much of a damn how they look. lol

Perceptions are so interesting. I had been wearing cowboy hats since I was a kid (in the wild west of Canarsie), and finally felt comfortable enough to wear a fedora when I was in my '20s, and it took a while, at that. I would guess its just what a person is brought up with. It seems the older we get, the tougher it is to make changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot