Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curvy Rouching

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I was just looking through the Classic Stars pages on http://stealtheirstyle.co.uk/
and on most of the clothing pages it says 'She was a big fan of rouching which made her look even curvier.' Have any of you ladies tried wearing rouched clothes to give you a curvy period figure? I'm not sure exactly what they mean - where should the rouching go? The bust/hips etc?

Oh, and isn't this website great? Not overloaded with information, but nice to see something out there like it!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I've worn some tops that are rouched at the bust, and it definitely makes me look fuller. I've noticed some vintage-style bathing suits are rouched, and though I haven't tried any on, I'm sure they will definitely give or enhance an hourglass figure.

I love rouching! I probably should never wear a dress that's rouched around the hips, since I've already got more than I need in that area, but I still want one!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Go for it, pigeon toe

For some reason the ruching on the hips fools the eye into thinking the wearer has slimmer hips. Or maybe it just makes the waist look slimmer. Or the bust larger. lol I don't know, but my Hollywood-style swimsuit is very flattering to my figure! :D

maisie

Practically Family
I have a few 40's dress that have rouching, some down the sides of the waist some across the from and it makes them look so fitted and they are very flattering.
I can't really describe that well how the designers have done this on my dresses, but i have a couple that have a knot sort of shape across the tummy area which trick the eye and conceal any lumps and bumps!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my attic

I made a dress in the 90s from a then-current Vogue patron and it had a waist inset, smooth across the front and ruching on the sides. So flattering! If I still weighed 92 pounds I would wear it now! What I should do is find the patron and redraw it in my size....

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
This is the first time that I've heard of the term rouching :eek: is this when there are seams sown into the clothing, almost like a pleated look?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
It's also called "ruching" - and a quick googling brought up this example-

NMT0G1V_ap.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Fleur!...that's what I was thinking...but wasn't quite sure:) .....I love dresses like that, it gives the silouhette such a much better look...blouses are a must for this as well!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I do this all the time to a lot of my concert/band t-shirts that are too big but I want to wear; I usually add it to the sides (cute little ties in contrasting color) or at the bust if it doesn't detract from the design. Very easy to do, and gives it a touch of femininity too!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
For some reason the ruching on the hips fools the eye into thinking the wearer has slimmer hips. Or maybe it just makes the waist look slimmer. Or the bust larger. lol I don't know, but my Hollywood-style swimsuit is very flattering to my figure! :D

Oh god, I just love Hollywood-style bathing suits. Is yours vintage or reproduction? I think the rouching on those is just fabulous for ANY body type!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Rouching rocks! I did it on the first blouse I started to sew (but did not finish it yet - I wait for the next sewing-course to complete it since the finishing includes putting on the arms and making button-holes - two things that I haven´t done so far...) to give it a 40s touch. It is so easy to do even for a starter like me if someone has shown you once how it works!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24