Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you agree with this guy?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
"Hats," Men's Fashion and Style Help....(alpha m image consulting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r5kVsm1q8k

I was wondering if any of you agree with Aaron Marino here, after watching his video. He's a guy that gives fashion advice to males, hence the name of his company, AlphaMConsulting. In this video, he covers most of our favorite sort of hat... the fedora. Then there's also some coverage on cowboy hats, flatcaps/newsboys, and even regular baseball caps.

I've seen some of his videos before in the past, but I thought the "Hats" one would be interesting for this forum, even if I, and some of you here, may not necessarily agree with him at times.

Big_e

Practically Family
Sorry J B, I never heard of this guy. I didn't watch all the video. I was mighty disturbed when he just about consigned the western hat to riding a horse or visiting a ranch and I sorta lost interest there. He mentoned a western boot video (he calls them cowboy boots, lol), I shudder to think what that contained.:eusa_doh:
Ernest

Big_e

Practically Family
ok, I sat down through the whole video this time. I agree with his summery to try hats and treat them as an accessory. They do complete an outfit.
I agree with his take on baseball hats. I also hate to see them worn backwards or sideways.
I'm 50/50 with him on the fedoras. Based on what I see around town, they still aren't very popular and the few that wear them on Sundays will wear full sized brims. I do hope that more people will wear them but don't think they'll ever become overdone. Better for us as that will help us to stand out.
Meh, still don't agree with his take on the western hat.
Ernest

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
He has a good point about finding what hats work for you, and to coordinate your hats with what you wear, but he is a bit occupied with fashion as opposed to style. I don't like his recommendations about fedoras, as the cloth and "straw" (debateable) things that go under that name are rather annoying. But hey, they are gateway hats.

My big problem was that he refers to caps as hats. They are different. Gah.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
My big problem was that he refers to caps as hats. They are different. Gah.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Baseball hats instead of caps. It's a small thing, but still. Anyway I did agree with some things, such as the thing on the flat-billed baseball caps, and the caps being tilted sideways. As for the fedoras mentioned in the video, well, he mainly focused on the modern-looking stingy brim types, which I don't think is bad, but they aren't exactly my favorite type of fedora. The cowboy hat thing, well, he had a pretty interesting point, being able to pull off other hats well if you're able to do so in a cowboy hat (and if with the fedora, you can supposedly pull off flatcaps and newsboys). From what I've seen, based on the advise this guy offers in his videos, he's definitely a fashion-type, no mistake there. But I do appreciate the fact that he has largely positive reception for some nice hats, such as fedoras, flatcaps, newsboys, and western hats (OK, well, there was that one remark, but still), despite the fact that he claims he can't pull it off because of his ears, or something to that effect.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
*Clueless idiot wanders in*

What's the difference between a cap and a hat?

And yeah, I hate baseball caps. I can't believe he considered them acceptable headwear.

*Clueless idiot wanders out agan*

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
Shangas said:

And yeah, I hate baseball caps. I can't believe he considered them acceptable headwear.

Just to play the devil's advocate...

Hey, I'm not a fan of ball caps either(although I wore them plenty back in High School)...but let's look at this thing objectively.
The wearing of hats has evolved. Our culture has found value in displaying their own sense of style in the wearing of ballcaps. These ballcaps show a person's support of 'their team,' are colorful, and are often accessorized to match their outfits. Even the ballcap has changed over the years. When I wore it, it was all about curling the bill as much as possible. Now, you will more often see the bill completely flat, and the cap itself larger than the head it sits on.
This is obviously an evolution of style. The explosion of urban music(hip hop, rap, etc) has brought with it a certain way of dress. Unfortunately, this country has gotten much too casual over the past few decades. Our parents and our grandparents have not passed down a certain code and etiquette to a large demographic of our population. I come from a blue collar New England family, and I definitely missed out on this. Now that I have a son, I'm trying to backtrack, and reteach myself some manners, so that I have something of value to pass on to him.

Well sorry....that sure did stray from ballcaps...but in my opinion, it's all related.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Shangas said:

And I agree I hate baseball caps too, they are becoming worse and worse by the decade... They used to be realy casual and yes still pretty bad looking and now they are flat brimmed and "punk/street" looking. It makes me wonder what people will be wearing in 2020 or 2030? *yucky*

The Good

Call Me a Cab
StetsonHomburg said:
I agree about the more off centre the base ball cap is the LOWER IQ you have lol

Hahah, I loved that bit. At the risk of being rude, I would tend to agree it makes one look, unflattering. Thankfully, no one in my family does that.

Ledfeather

New in Town
i have a very high IQ, and on crappy days, i wear a backwards baseball hat. not often, though. just in hellacious down-pours, or when going places where my stetsons would get messed up. race tracks, concerts, etc

i'll be honest and say the sound is jacked up on this computer right now, and someone's crawled underneath to figure out what's not right. that said, i didnt hear his 'take' on my compulsive fedora wearing.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Ledfeather said:
i have a very high IQ, and on crappy days, i wear a backwards baseball hat. not often, though. just in hellacious down-pours, or when going places where my stetsons would get messed up. race tracks, concerts, etc

i'll be honest and say the sound is jacked up on this computer right now, and someone's crawled underneath to figure out what's not right. that said, i didnt hear his 'take' on my compulsive fedora wearing.

That's fine. It's just the trouble-making urban youths that I don't like wearing them like that, really. Obviously, you are a smart person. Don't take it the wrong way.

Ledfeather

New in Town
J B said:
That's fine. It's just the trouble-making urban youths that I don't like wearing them like that, really. Obviously, you are a smart person. Don't take it the wrong way.
never. just wanted to point out that some of us smart guys are into things that arent stetson friendly. for instance, if i go out to shoot photos, i wear a baseball cap the wrong way, because obviously a big camera up to my face, things get in the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR