Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a nickname?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I had no idea variations of "Lulu" were so popular as nicknames--my grandfather used to call me LuluBelle when I was little. Some of my oldest friends call me Miep. In college a group of us saw the Millie Perkins version of "The Diary of Anne Frank" and while we were discussing the film I mentioned that I admired Miep as much as I admired Anne; the name stuck.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
This is totally unrelated but I have to throw it in:

imoldfashioned said:
I had no idea variations of "Lulu" were so popular as nicknames--my grandfather used to call me LuluBelle when I was little. Some of my oldest friends call me Miep. In college a group of us saw the Millie Perkins version of "The Diary of Anne Frank" and while we were discussing the film I mentioned that I admired Miep as much as I admired Anne; the name stuck.

I've met Miep Gies. Several years ago, our city did a multi-week Holocaust remembrance with traveling exhibits and an array of public events. As a part of that, she held a speaking engagement about her experiences with Anne Frank, and my workplace happened to be the hosting venue. She was very approachable and gracious, quite softspoken. She is truly an amazing person.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh wow fwgal, I wish I could time travel and be you in that moment of time. I wonder if Miep is still alive. I'm glad we have stories like hers recorded so hopefully people will learn from the past and not let things like that be repeated.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
My nickname, Barbi has turned into the only name I use. I have a lot of professional equity in it now (and no I am not a public entertainer of any sort ;-P) My parents started calling me that when I was two as the new babysitter's name was Barbara. And I am glad because I really don't care for Barbara.

My screenname Barbigirl was actually a real nickname so christened by Maintcoder and that is how I ended up using for most websites. That life and nickname has ended and I am going by "Sweetheart" these days.

Sometimes my kids call me Mommy-girl derived from Barbigirl.

My Grandma calls me Pala-pala (Hawaiian for Barbara) we aren't hawaiian obviously but she thought it was cute when she went to hawaii once and I have been that to her for 30 years.

My ex-husband had a ton of silly nicknames for me all of which I have repressed.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:
This is totally unrelated but I have to throw it in:

I've met Miep Gies. Several years ago, our city did a multi-week Holocaust remembrance with traveling exhibits and an array of public events. As a part of that, she held a speaking engagement about her experiences with Anne Frank, and my workplace happened to be the hosting venue. She was very approachable and gracious, quite softspoken. She is truly an amazing person.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that FWGal, it's nice to hear your story. I've always admired her as an example of a "regular" person who acted honorably in an awful situation. I hope I'd have the courage to act as she did if (God forbid) I was in her shoes.

SaraBell

Familiar Face
Well, my first name is Sara and my last name is Bell, so a lot of people just put them together and call me SaraBell...which is what I put as my screen name on here!

Weston

A-List Customer
I've had a few I didn't care for as a child...I always wanted a cool, masculine nickname. I'd have killed for "Duke" or "Sport", etc...

Reminds me of the movie of the story of the Air Force, in which the pilot's wife's nickname was "Butch". You just don't get much more damn manly than your WIFE having a manly nickname! LOL!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Well, my dad always called me Miss. I asked why once and he said "because that's what you are" - made sense!
My Nana used to call me Bridie or Biddy, which makes no sense at all, but holds fond memories.
My whole family called me Sis (pronouced Sees) before I went to school, and I called myself Sisi, as Simone (pronouced Si - mon, NOT Si - moan) was hard to say.

At work, there's a new one every week Scone Kroll and Stanley Krollington are some of the latest. My surname is Knol, just incase you were wondering.

I have a whole group of friends here in England and we all have nicknames as we do 1930s stuff. I am Sis, said Sis to make it easier and we also have Tink, Ginger, Polka, Foxy, Pip and Tottie who are all girls and Chuffy, Barmy, Slim, Muddy and Chocks who are all boys. We freely admit to knicking some of the names from P.G Wodehouse. It is my favourite bit, coming up with a nickname to suit a new member!

absynth

New in Town
Well, the one that has stuck the most would be "Monkey" short for monkey toes since I have been able to pick things up with my toes since I was little. My real name is Odette and I have had a few nicknames that have nothing to do with it except that they have O's in the word, such as Omlette from a friends dad when he found out that I had never had a nickname. Some girls in school started "Odie" as it was sort of short for my name. My dad called me "rugrat" when I was little. Meant in a very affectionate way, so no worries. In the medieval society that I am part of my name is Lady Kathleen of the Ivy. Which I love.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Wow, where do I start??

My given name is Kimberly, and the only person who addresses me by my formal first name is my paternal grandmother. She wanted my mother to name me Rosebud, but my mother insisted on Kim. To this day my grandmother refuses to call me Kim, always Kimberly because "Kim is not a proper name for a girl."

Most people address me as Kim. I'm OK with that since it's my name. Sometimes I wish I had something a little more exciting. My family and very close friends always addresses me as Kimmy, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It drives my batty, though, when strangers or people I haven't known for a very long time call me that.

As for silly nicknames: Kimster, Kimbo, Kim-bob, Kimburger, Kimmy-koo, Kimmy-kimmy-cocoa puff (not sure on the origins of that one!), Kimmy Jean (taken from the Michael Jackson song...Billy Jean is not my lover...), Kimmy Lynne (middle name), Red (because of the hair), and Peaches (only DH calls me that...the first conversation we ever had was about peaches).

Avalon

A-List Customer
My name is Jennifer, so I get called Jen a lot. "Jenny" is for my cousins, they're the only people I let call me that (except for the occasional one from my SO). When I worked retail I was called "J.R." for my initials (and because there were other Jennifers there! lol). My mom still calls me that and I really like it.

My most common nick these days, though, is "Avy", shortened from Avalon, which has been my online handle since the beginning (and my witch name for years before that). I answer to it just as easily as my birth name. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk